Thursday, 3 September 2015

Apple Cider Pecan Cake

A truly rustic, homely cake made with windfall apples, sweet homemade cider, crunchy pecans and juicy raisins. A giant slice is just what you need with a cup of tea.
Apple Cider Pecan Cake - a perfectly spiced way to show off autumn or fall produce
I nearly posted another recipe today but decided I couldn't leave it a week without giving you a cake recipe. Cake is what I'm all about after all. (And chemistry, but that's my day job.) This is a really delicious example too and shows you a really good way of highlighting lots of autumn flavours. I know we are only just into September but let's face it, summer in the UK flashed by in a blink this year. There is also the issue of the large carrier bag full of apples that my dad brought home one day that need to be used up. And I mean so full the handles snapped. 
Apple Cider Pecan Cake - a perfectly spiced way to show off autumn or fall produce
Needless to say I've been thinking of this traybake a lot. If I could get my mum to eat chilli I'd be making a huge batch of this apple pie chilli too. Mum got stuck into makin apple things first though with a couple of crumbles and the most gorgeous apple and cardamom cake with mascarpone cream filling. I was dying to take pictures but it was cut too quickly for me to have chance. 
Apple Cider Pecan Cake - a perfectly spiced way to show off autumn or fall produce
When I knew my turn was coming up I browsed through my Pinterest boards and eventually settled on this cake originally by Simon Rimmer. I used the apples my dad got from his clients garden and the cider he made from our own harvest a couple of years ago and it was such a pleasure. The cake is moist and full of different textures. The soft crumb surrounds the juicy shreds of apple, the pleasantly crunchy pecans and the juicy squidgy raisins. The cider gives a wonderful background flavour while the fresh apples and the mixture of spices makes the whole cake taste of autumn while not being too sweet. 
Apple Cider Pecan Cake - a perfectly spiced way to show off autumn or fall produce
No icing is needed for such a cake - it would only mask what is within. The only accompaniment needed to a giant slab is a steaming hot cup of tea. There are still plenty of apples left so I might make another batch of these no added sugar extra fruity muffins if I want to feel healthy or these bonfire toffee apple muffins if I don't. I might even persuade my mum to let me have some freezer space for lots of apple sauce so I can bake this loaf cake on repeat. Tell me, do you have a favourite apple recipe?


print recipe

Apple Cider Pecan Cake
A truly rustic, homely cake made with windfall apples, sweet homemade cider, crunchy pecans and juicy raisins. A giant slice is just what you need with a cup of tea.
Ingredients
  • Approx 330 ml cider
  • 150g butter, melted
  • 4 apples, peeled, cored and grated
  • 2 large eggs
  • 150g soft brown sugar
  • 300g plain flour
  • 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.25 tsp nutmeg
  • 200g raisins or sultanas
  • 100g pecans, roughly chopped
Instructions
1. Pour the cider into a saucepan and bring to the boil then lower the heat to a simmer and reduced to approximately 100 ml. Pour into a bowl with the melted butter to cool slightly.2. Once the cider and butter are just warm set the oven to 180 C/160 C and grease/line a 8" diameter, loose bottomed cake tin.3. Mix the eggs and sugar into the apples followed by the melted butter and cider. Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of sida and spices then stir in. Finally stir in the raisins or sultanas and pecans.4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and level the top then create a slight dip in the centre with a spoon - this helps the cake to rise evenly. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 1 hour or until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. 5. Leave the cake to cool on a wire rack for at least 15 mins then carefully turn out of the tin and cool completely. Dust with a little sugar if you wish.

I'm sending this recipe off to CookBlogShare, this week hosted by Kirsty from Highjacked by Twins. Also to Credit Crunch Munch, hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours who co-hosts with Camilla at Fab Food 4 All. And I couldn't forget Cake Club, this month hosted by Sarah at Taming Twins on behalf of Kerry at Kerry Cooks.


8 comments:

  1. Apple cake is so Autumnal. And what a delicious apple cake this is! I always feel so chuffed when I manage to make something with free fruit too, gifted or foraged!
    I love a good apple pie and made some amazing toffee-apple cookies a couple of years back. They are delicious in flapjack as well.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple flapjack would be lovely :) I just wish I could eat oats! I could still make them for my family though

      Delete
  2. This apple cake sounds totally divine! I love apple cakes and the spices her together with the nuts just make for a winning reccipe. Thanks for entering #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow this cake sounds absolutely perfect for this time of year! I love the idea of adding cider to the recipe. Thank you for sharing with #CookBlogShare x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirsty! It is certainly a good way of enjoying the nice bits about autumn.

      Delete
  4. This sounds wonderful, so many lovely autumn flavours crammed into one cake. Lush! Thanks so much for linking with #CakeClub. Have pinned your recipe to our board too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!