Monday, 24 August 2015

Churro Cupcakes

When you want the flavour of churros without the effort of frying the dough, whip up these quick cupcakes with a chocolate and cinnammon topping instead.
Churro Cupcakes - cinnamon sponge base with a Nutella chocolate 'dipping sauce'
Have you ever made or eaten churros before? I haven't made them but I have eaten them once. There was this sort of pop up alternative market thing throughout Huddersfield town centre months ago in the spring and one of the stalls was selling churros. As we walked by we watched the vendor handing over cones of these loooong crispy, cinnamon sugary sticks to eagerly awaiting customers.This was after upending an industrial sized jar of Nutella over each one and dousing they in more sugar. Every single customer turned away with their prize wide eyed.
Churro Cupcakes - cinnamon sponge base with a Nutella chocolate 'dipping sauce'
I wasn't all that interested at the time because I was full on an amazing zebra burger but when my friends who were sharing some couldn't finish the massive portion they were sharing I gave one a go, scooping up as much warm Nutella as I could manage as I made my selection. It took one bite and I was hooked. It was all I could do not to grab the remaining churros from my quietly groaning friends and bury my face in them. Of course, I immediately wanted to try making them myself. 
Churro Cupcakes - cinnamon sponge base with a Nutella chocolate 'dipping sauce'
A couple of weeks ago another friend hosted a Mexican night at her house and I cannot go anywhere without taking cakes of some sort. Actual churros were out of the question because they needed to be made and eaten fresh and so these cupcakes were the next best thing. The fried choux pastry became the incredibly soft cupcake base, made in a much shorter time frame than the original by using the all in one mixing method. A heavy dose of cinnamon provided the necessary spiciness while the fluffy interior of a churro was transformed into the light as a feather springy sponge. Neither was the traditional chocolate dipping sauce forgotton. Instead, Nutella was added as a nod to my churro initiation and the delightful mixture allowed to smother each one. 
Churro Cupcakes - cinnamon sponge base with a Nutella chocolate 'dipping sauce'
These cupcakes went down incredibly well. We were all full of chilli, nachos, salsa, guacamole and goodness knows what else but when I asked if anyone still had room for pudding I was met with cries of fury and a wave of disgusted looks. Never underestimate the power of cake. People will always find room for some.


print recipe

Churro Cupcakes
When you want the flavour of churros without the effort of frying the dough, whip up these quick cupcakes with a chocolate and cinnammon topping instead.
Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
  • 115g plain flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 115g caster sugar
  • 115g margarine or butter, softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
For the topping:
  • 100g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 2 large scoops Nutella
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a 12 cup muffin tray with cupcake cases.2. Place all the cupcake ingredients into a bowl, sifitng the dry ones and mix togeth until just evenly combined. 3. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 mins until a cake tester inserted into one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Carefully remove them from the tray to a wire rack and leave to cool.4. Once cool, melt the chocolate and Nutella together in the microwave on a medium power setting. Stir then leave to cool to room temperature. Once cool, swirl the mixture onto the tops of the cupcakes 


I'm sending these cupcakes to Mandy at Sneaky Veg for this weeks CookBlogShare

11 comments:

  1. Churros are so good and your cupcakes sound like a lovely alternative that is much easier to make at home. I'm very impressed with your icing too - it's something I always struggle to make pretty. Thanks for linking up to #cookblogshare this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I confess, I like to make things as easy as possible :D

      Delete
  2. I love churros and have even tried making them at home myself. When I saw the title I was excited to see how you've transformed it to cupcake form. Brilliant idea and they look so tempting, I really wish I could have one now ... for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried churros but I love the sound of them. You can't go wrong with a sugary cinnamon and nutella flavour combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to try them! It's practically a guarantee you'll love them.

      Delete
  4. I'm hooked just looking at the Nutella topping! I keep meaning to try making GF Churros, but never seem to get the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now what you mean, time is such a limiting factor. Fingers crossed you get to though!

      Delete
  5. Ooo I'm with you, churros are pretty delicious aren't they! I usually look out for them at the Christmas markets :-) love the sound of your churros cupcakes! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I'vr never seen them at a Christmas market - I'll keep an eye out next time!

      Delete
  6. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone every day.

    Follow our trades NOW & profit up to 270% per day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!