Thursday, 20 August 2015

Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake

Soft and delicious, studded with sweet milk chocolate in every bite - this bundt cake proves the versatility of summer courgettes. 
Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake - with chocolate ganache drizzle
Have you ever told a lie to get someone to eat something? I know for a lot of parents there is often a struggle to get children to eat vegetables. It isn't just kids though I think. Some adults can be very reluctant to eat things they don't associate with sweet bakes too. My grandad for instance was enjoying an absolutely gorgeous apple and cardamom cake made by my mum once until somebody let slip there was cheese in the icing. Only cream cheese to make the best icing ever. He refused to eat it after that. 
Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake - with chocolate ganache drizzle
The weekend I made this my brother and his family were visiting. When he asked what the pretty green flecks were (well he actually said 'what's that green stuff?') I gave him a very pointed look and said very clearly that they were green sprinkles. They were absolutely not any form of fruit of vegetable just in case my nephews were listening. Nope, just bright green sprinkles. Bundt cakes are so big I had been waiting until there were enough people to finish one so I had to get my nephews to eat it somehow. I softened the lie by adding chocolate of course. 
Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake - with chocolate ganache drizzle
This double chocolate courgette loaf has been one of my most popular recipes to date and works just as well with a peanut butter swirl. I wanted to try another variation of those two recipes but still have something spectacular. My favourite bundt tin did the hard work for me. Thankfully the cake itself did the shape justice. The grated courgette made the crumb lush and moist so with each bite you could really taste the background vanilla notes swirlng amongst the creamy cocoa hit of the perfectly dispersed chocolate chunks. The pretty green flecks really stand out making the cake a treat for the eye as well as the taste buds. And is if anything else were needed to draw you in, there is that carefree generous drizzle of chocolate ganache for a touch of indugence.
Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake - with chocolate ganache drizzle
My brother certainly enjoyed it. Every time he came into the house he would go straight to the cake tin and surreptitiously take another slice. Sometimes he'd lift the lid, tell himself no then be back there five minutes later unconsciously helping himself anyway. He definitely liked the sprinkles. My nephews? Well the one who did try it liked it but the other two stuck to their chocolate fairy cakes. I didn't mind in the slightest. All the more for us.  


print recipe

Chocolate Chip Yoghurt Courgette Bundt Cake
Soft and delicious, studded with sweet milk chocolate in every bite - this bundt cake proves the versatility of summer courgettes.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 80 ml honey
  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 120 ml oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g vanilla yoghurt
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 260g plain flour
  • 2 small courgettes, ends trimmed and grated
  • 100g milk chocolate, chopped
For the ganache:
  • 50g milk chocolate, chopped
  • 50 ml double cream
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 160 C/140 C fan and thoroughly grease and flour a large bundt tin making sure you get into all the corners.* Set this onto a baking tray.2. Whisk together the eggs, honey, sugar, oil, vanilla and yoghurt. Squeeze the excess water from the grated courgettes and mix in. Sift together the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and plain flour into a large bowl. 3. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined. Transfer to the bundt tin and level off then make a shallow dip in the centre all the way around the tin.4. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 50-60 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre come out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack then carefully turn out.5. When the cake is cool, heat the cream in a saucepan until the first bubble appears. Pour into a bowl containing the chocolate, leave to stand for a minute then whisk until the chocolate is melted and thoroughly combined. Drizzle over the cake to finish.

For instructions on how to bake as a loaf cake have a look at this post here.

I'm sending this bundt off to a few challenges. To Caroline at Caroline Makes for Alphabakes because courgettes are also known as zucchini. Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker co-hosts. To Cake Club run by Kerry Cooks, because you know, cake rules. And to Extra Veg even though courgettes are technically fruit. Jen hosts this month at Jen's Food on behalf of Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families.

8 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous looking cake - I have the same bundt tin and as you say the tin does all the work. Little white lies like this are definitely forgivable! I've done the same when baking with all sorts of fruit and vegetables that some perceive as yuck but actually the cake tastes nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are educating these people in our way haha I think the more involved in baking and cooking you become, the more open minded you are with flavours. I've learned to enjoy lots of foods I used to hate since I started cooking properly.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a beautifully moist cake. I'll use the sprinkles line on my OH next time I bake with courgettes, it might work! Thanks for sharing with #ExtraVeg :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you convinced them the courgette flecks were sprinkles! Great entry for Alphabakes and it looks fab (I had a bit of a disaster with a Nordicware bundt tin for the first time yesterday, it all stuck in the pan!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I do feel your pain - I had a Bundt stick horribly a couple of years ago in a silicone pan. I remember wanting to cry. I hope it still tasted good though and could bury it under custard ;)

      Delete
  4. This is just glorious, what a beautiful cake. Thanks for sharing with #extraveg

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!