Saturday, 15 August 2015

Amarillo Chilli and Cheddar Courgette Muffins

Light and soft, these muffins take advantage of those summer courgettes while delivering a cheesy, lightly spiced flavour in every bite.
Amarillo Chilli & Cheddar Courgette Muffins - a delicious blend of cheesy spiciness with Encona sauces
Does anyone else here get really set in their ways when it comes to breakfast? For me it has to be tea, toast spread with the lickest layer of peanut butter I can manage and a handful of nuts aferwards. Even when we have bacon sandwiches which I LOVE, I still miss my peanut butter on toast. You'd think I'd be having quite a varied breakfast diet while I have the time (PhD starts September 21st!!!) but I just can't bring myself to break with tradition. Even the thought of freshly baked Marmite muffins like I had last summer doesn't make me want a change. 
Amarillo Chilli & Cheddar Courgette Muffins - a delicious blend of cheesy spiciness with Encona sauces
Yet still, I've been wanting to play around with savoury muffin recipes. When the people from Encona got in touch asking if I wanted to try out their new Peruvian Amarillo (RRP £1.39) and Mexican Smokey Jalapeno (RRP £1.99) sauces, I knew exactly how I wanted to showcase them. Baked right into a muffin.
Amarillo Chilli & Cheddar Courgette Muffins - a delicious blend of cheesy spiciness with Encona sauces
I thought a cheesy muffin would be best and we all know how well cheese melds with so many other different flavours. Then I went out into the garden to pick the courgettes for a bundt cake (coming soon!) and knew I had to make a savoury version of these muffins. As soon as I took them out of the oven I knew they were perfect. It was all I could do to wait until lunch time to have one alongside my salad. Taking these the pictures was practically torture.
Amarillo Chilli & Cheddar Courgette Muffins - a delicious blend of cheesy spiciness with Encona sauces
Light and boucy soft, each bite is silkily moist and made sumptuous with maximum flavour. Choose a strong cheese like mature cheddar and you will be rewarded with a deep punchiness that complements the steady background spiciness of the amarillo chillies. A sprinkling of cheese dropped on top before baking provides a golden treat to finish.
Amarillo Chilli & Cheddar Courgette Muffins - a delicious blend of cheesy spiciness with Encona sauces
Even though I'm not the biggest fan of spices and chillies I do like them occasionally and I really enjoyed these sauces. I dipped one of the muffins in the rich and smokey Mexican Jalapeno sauce but it could replace the Amarillo one I used in the recipe. In fact, either would make a great addition to this toastie or used in place of the pesto in these cornbread muffins. Similarly, you could stir a spoonful into this slow cooker chilli to add another level of flavour. The sauces are versatile, full of flavour and even suitable for coeliac sufferers or vegans. That's pretty good going.


print recipe

Amarillo Chilli and Cheddar Courgette Muffins
Light and soft, these muffins take advantage of those summer courgettes while delivering a cheesy, lightly spiced flavour in every bite.
Ingredients
  • 95g plain flour
  • 95g whole wheat flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • Black pepper, to taste
  • 100g mature cheddar or other strong cheese, grated
  • 1 large egg
  • 120 ml oil
  • 2 tbsp Amarillo chilli sauce
  • 1 medium courgette, ends trimmed and grated
  • Splash of milk, if needed
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper muffin cases.2. Sift together the flours, pepper and baking powder then toss in the cheese. Squeeze most of the water out of the grated courgette then whisk together with the egg, oil and chilli sauce. 3. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined. A few floury bits are ok. If the mixture is too stiff or dry, use a splash of milk to slacken.4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and sprinkle the remining cheese over the top. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then without opening the oven door reduce the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for a further 15 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Carefully remove the muffins from the tray to a wire rack to cool completely.

I'm sending these muffins off to Meat Free Mondays run by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes because they are suitbale for vegetarians. Also to Extra Veg because of the courgette I've used, this month guest hosted by Jen at Jen's Food on behalf of Michelle at Utterly Scrummy Food For Families and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours.

Disclaimer: I was sent these sauces to review but I was not compensated for this post and all opinions expressed are my own.

11 comments:

  1. Delicious way of using this sauce x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea of baking a muffin to showcase the sauces. I love baking muffins as you've probably gathered and I have a courgette and cheese one to blog about soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I'll look forward to seeing that then Ros!

      Delete
  3. I've got some of these sauces in the cupboard, not tried baking with them yet, savoury muffins sounds like a good idea though. Thanks for sharing with #ExtraVeg :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love savoury muffins and these sound fab! I feel that I have been diddled on my courgettes this year though..... Having just come back from nearly 3 weeks abroad, the plants seem to have been run down by not enough tender care (that's neighbours for you) and letting the fruits grow so enormous as to become almost inedible!
    Good to see yours are seeing better results x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame for you. Hopefully all is not completely lost though and you'll get a few late ones.

      Delete
  5. What a good idea to use the chilli sauce in the muffin. I am going to bung the contents of umpteen bottles in bakes now ;-)

    Thanks for linking up to #extraveg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a trick I'll be using again too!

      Delete
  6. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Plan to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 15 Pounds in Only 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!