Monday, 13 July 2015

Coconut and Lime Curd Condensed Milk Loaf Cake

Soft and fluffy with a river of zingy lime curd running throughout, this loaf cake evokes the fresh, bright feeling of summer and uses an intriguing ingredient. 
Coconut & Lime Curd Condensed Milk Cake - all in one method
This is anothe recipe that nearly didn't get blogged. With it being summer I should have plenty of bright and sunny days to try and get pictures of what I've been experimenting with in the kitchen but let's face it, this is England so the weather doesn't behave. Two weeks ago was roasting hot while last week was dull, dreary and raining. I was so pleased with this cake though that on a day where sun was promised to be interspersed with overcast skies I grabbed my chance before the clouds took over.
Coconut & Lime Curd Condensed Milk Cake - all in one method
I did my best and hopefully did the cake justice. It looks so unassuming but don't let that fool you. One day a few weeks ago I suddenly wanted to try making lime curd. The last time I made curd it was a lemon one and I felt I could have done better. I did a little sleuthing and came across this interesting method of making lemon or lime curd in the microwave. Of course I had to try it. It was so much fun and I couldn't help but imagine trying the same thing with the big microwave in the lab.
Coconut & Lime Curd Condensed Milk Cake - all in one method
Browsing through past pins, this cake caught my eye to adapt because the method was really interesting. Not only does it use my favourite all in one method but it replaces the sugar with condensed milk which gives the perfect sweetness and a wonderful soft and fluffy crumb texture. Where the tangy, flavourful lime curd runs through you get a layer of squidgy, sticky cake that matches the fruitiness of the curd so well. The glaze genius too, using the last of the tin of condensed milk (no waste, yay!) with an extra splash of juice, or scoop of lime curd in this case to create a thick icing that is like a special reward, creamy, syrupy and refreshing all at the same time. 
Coconut & Lime Curd Condensed Milk Cake - all in one method
I should bake more with coconut because very time I do, the finish good prove to be very popular, even the vintage recipes like this Kentish cake. It adds such a lovely flavour and texture. Condensed milk deserves more of a look in too. No matter - now I've discovered this technique I want to see how it holds up in a sandwich cake. And happily, there is just enough lime curd left in the jar for my plans.


print recipe

Coconut and Lime Curd Condensed Milk Loaf Cake
Soft and fluffy with a river of zingy lime curd running throughout, this loaf cake evokes the fresh, bright feeling of summer and uses an intriguing ingredient.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 175g margarine or butter, softened
  • 3 large eggs
  • 175g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 55g dessicated coconut
  • 300g condensed milk
  • 3-4 scoops lime curd
For the topping:
  • 90g condensed milk
  • 1 scoop lime curd
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking parchment.2. Place all the cake ingredients except the lime curd into a mixing bowl and mix together until just combined.3. Transfer two thirds of the mixture to the loaf tin and smooth off. Spread the curd over the top, trying to keep it away from the edges if you can. Spread out the remaining cake mixture on top of the curd.4. Bake in the preheated oven for about 1 hour. A cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake mayy come out with wet crumbs on it because of the layer of lime curd. Cool on a wire rack.5. When the cake is cool, make the topping. Mix together the condensed milk and lime curd then pipe onto the cake how you wish.

I'm sending this cake off to the all new Cake Club run by Kerry from Kerry Cooks. Also, to Jac at Tinned Tomatoes for her Bookmarked Recipes - I pinned the recipe from Bailey Ana and adapted it only slightly.

20 comments:

  1. I adore coconut and lime together and whenever I had swirled curd into cakes they have been so good! This cake looks dry soft and fluffy! I could imagine resting my head on it and going to sleep....
    Intrigued by the microwave method of curd making.... Did it work ok???? No curdling?
    And great addition of condensed milk - which I think is somewhat underrated these days (we used loads of it when we were kids).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The microwave method for the curd worked perfectly. I was watching it like a hawk for anything untoward but nope!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to blog this cake as I am definitely bookmarking it! I've used condensed milk in a sticky date cake and loved it so I'd love to try it in another recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I've heard of that one! I still need to get on with it though haha

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh I bet that is delicious!!! Lime and coconut are like a match made in heaven aren't they? And condensed milk? Well I just wish my daughter wasn't intolerant of dairy or I would use it a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a shame. I hope you manage to find a dairy free alternative so you can use it more often. I kno wyou can make a dairy free condensed milk but I've never tried it myself.

      Delete
  4. I make a coconut & lime tea loaf using condensed milk. It's a Carnation recipe and gives good results - http://www.chowathome.co.uk/2014/01/coconut-lime-tea-loaf.html?m=1 . I was intrigued to see how the lime curd works as this recipe only uses lime juice. The sound of lime curd running through sounds wonderful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really adds something. Another layer of texture as well as a brilliant flavour :)

      Delete
  5. I love that you added lime and coconut for such a tropical spin on a classic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mouth is watering!! This looks delicious and I love the flavors!!! Pinned & Stumbled!!
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lemon and lime in cakes, this sounds tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely and moist! Love how it is so different in its ingredients...Never thought to use condensed milk in cake, nor have I seen it used for the glaze. I do have a question on the latter -- does the glaze firm up or does it remain soft? Congrats, too, on your top 50 slot!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It firms up slightly but not like set chocolate. More like a sticky soft ganache and tastes lovely :) I'm glad you like the cake and thank you!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!