Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake

Squidgy, chocolatey and swirled with peanut butter, this cake is something to look forward to. With that dose of veg from the courgettes, this loaf cake is practically healthy in my book!
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake - two favourite cakes in one
Is it too early to start posting courgette recipes? Surely not. I know when courgette/zucchini season fully hits we all cry at having to use up so many so quickly but really we all know we love how versatile the humble veg is.
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake - two favourite cakes in one
Last year I had so much fun experimenting with various recipes to use up the courgettes my mum grew for me. I added white chocolate to muffins and stuffed brownies with Nutella. My mum's favourite was this batch of pecan crumble muffins though my viewers' favourite remains this double chocolate chunk loaf. I even managed a couple of savoury courgette recipes
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake - two favourite cakes in one
I've had the photos for this loaf cake on my computer since last year because I ran out of time to share the recipe. I couldn't wait any longer though. I based it on this ever popular cake, but with the addition of the peanut butter, this version might be the new favourite. The crumb has the texture of chocolate fudge cake, a rich density that makes you sigh happily with each bite. The moisture imparted by the courgettes is wonderful without leaving the slightest bit of courgette taste. The peanut butter portion is a sultry addition, swirling throughout each slice while the chunks of chocolate are little reward pockets scattered throughout. Finally there is the drizzle of chocolate melted with peanut butter which sets with a glossy fudge like quality.
Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake - two favourite cakes in one
What with one thing and another Mum hasn't been able to spend as much time in the garden this year. She has still got one courgette plant on the go for me though. I wish it would hurry up and produce some courgettes for me - I still have plenty of ideas left to spur me on. Nevertheless, I still love to hear of any of your courgette baking plans for this season. 


print recipe

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Courgette Loaf Cake
Squidgy, chocolatey and swirled with peanut butter, this cake is something to look forward. With that dose of veg from the courgettes, this loaf cake is practically healthy in my book!
Ingredients
  • 2 smallish courgettes, grated (skin on)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 80 ml honey
  • 120 ml oil
  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 200g plain flour
  • 75g peanut butter
  • 0.5 tsp coffee granules, ground to powder
  • 25g cocoa powder
  • 50g milk or dark chocolate chunks
  • 25g chocolate melted with 25g peanut butter
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking paper.2. Mix together the courgette, eggs, honey, oil, sugar and vanilla. In a separate bowl sift together the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and plain flour. Mix the wet into the dry until just combined.3. Transfer half the mixture into another bowl. Mix the peanut butter into one portion and the cocoa, coffee and chocolate chunks into the other. 4. Alternatively place spoonfuls of each mixture into the lined loaf tin. Use a knife to swirl the two mixtures together.5. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hr - 1hr 15 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack. When cool, remove from the tin and drizzle the chocolate/peanut butter mixture of the top.

The courgettes in this cake mean I'm sending it off to Extra Veg, this month hosted by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours who swaps with Michelle at Utterly Scrummy Food For Families

8 comments:

  1. Lovely looking cake Laura! Chocolate-Peanut combo recipes are definitely a favourite of mine. Love the photos too.
    My courgettes are just beginning to come good! We are getting to the point of being deluged again, so I will have to start baking with them soon. I have some interesting round ones this year as well as the usual lone ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I am looking forward to seeing what you make and bake with them, especially your new variety!

      Delete
  2. Chocolate and peanut butter is one of my favorite combinations, this cake sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is watering! This looks amazing, and this is my fave flavor combination!! I am definitely going to give this a try! :-)
    Cathy@threekidsandafish{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so good to hear Cathy! Let me know how it goes if you do.

      Delete
  4. There's nothing quite like Peanut butter and Chocolate! This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!