Monday, 8 June 2015

Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake

A wonderfully soft loaf cake, full of hazelnut flavour and infused with a refreshing orange drizzle. Perfect for lazy summer afternoons but also for any time of year.
Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake with a refreshing orange drizzle
Published post number 201. Yep, really. I probably should have celebrated at the two hundredth post but then I would have stolen the limelight away from my blogiversary and these muffins. Oh fine then, I forgot I had reached 200 posts but when I remembered I wanted something, even a little something, to celebrate it with. Cake for me will always be a good way to celebrate an event, no matter how small. I even celebrated being offered the chance to put myself under 3 more years of stress by making these brownies. Safe to say, I think we've established I'm a sugar addict. I wish I were a gym addict too but no such luck.
Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake with a refreshing orange drizzle
I came across these photos while sorting through files on my laptop and wondered why I hadn't posted the recipe before. Perfect timing. Something summery and bright seemed just right for a mini celebration. Note that I haven't actually said that summer is actually here at last because there was a brief thought of that before then it went back to being freezing cold, raining and gale force winds. October weather in May and now June. Welcome to the UK everyone! 
Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake with a refreshing orange drizzle
Ground nuts really do give the most wonderful texture in a cake - more evidence is in this coffee and walnut cake and my chocolate and hazelnut cottage. I made this in the throes of lovely weather last year but really, I'd be happy eating it all year round. The crumb has a wonderful soft and silky texture, made extra moist by the addition of ground hazelnuts and a sticky sweet orange drizzle. The hazelnuts give a lovely flecked appearance to the cake interior which simply oozes fresh fruity orange flavour with each bite.
Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake with a refreshing orange drizzle
I'll never tire of them. Especially when they make my nails grown quickly.Even though this recipe uses the creaming method instead of the all in one method, it is still really easy to make. I'm a bit of a hypocrite really. I pin hundreds thousands of multistep, extavagent recipes on Pinterest but then when it comes to my own baking I stick to speedy simplicity. I've said it so many times before - the quicker it is baked, the sooner it can be devoured.


print recipe

Orange Hazelnut Loaf Cake
A wonderfully soft loaf cake,full of hazelnut flavour and infused with a refreshing orange drizzle. Perfect for lazy summer afternoons but also for any time of year.
Ingredients
  • 150g butter, softened
  • 140g caster sugar
  • 100g hazelnuts, ground
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 140g self raising flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • Zest of 2 oranges
  • 2 tbsp marmalade + splash of orange juice
  • 4 tbsp orange juice
  • 2 tsp granulated sugar
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin with baking paper.2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then gradually mix in the eggs, mixing well between each addition. 3. Sift together the flour, baking powder and ground hazelnuts and gently fold in. Mix together the zest, marmalade and juice then fold into the mixture. Transfer to the loaf tin, level off and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 mins until a cake tester insertedinto the centre comes out clean. Place on a wire rack.4. Immediately pon removing from the oven, heat together in a microwave the juice and sugar until boiling. Carefully use a narrow skewer or cake tester to poke holes in the cake then brush on the drizzle until it is all used up. Leave to cool in the tin.


I'm sending this orange hazelnut loaf cake off to the O themed AlphaBakes, hosted this month by Caroline from Caroline Makes, who alternates with Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker. Also to the summer themed Love Cake run by Ness from JibberJabber UK because I think oranges are such sunny, summery flavour. And because I saved the original recipe from BBC Good Food for ages I'm sharing my version with Bookmarked Recipes run by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.

14 comments:

  1. This cake looks good and the recipe sounds great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good recipe to keep on standby. Loving the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quicker it can be baked the sooner it can be devoured is my baking philosophy too! Really pretty photographs and a very yummy looking cake. I'd never have thought to pair orange and hazelnut together.

    By the way I like your new layout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we think along the same lines haha

      Delete
  4. Excellent advice on making cakes quicker! I like make loaf cakes as they are easy to make and you always get a good result from them. I love the addition of the orange and marmalade for an extra tang.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks delicious, Laura ! Love the simple, yet striking decoration :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How can you go wrong with Hazelnuts? The combination of orange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, they're just lovely

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious, the decoration is simple but effective - thanks for sharing with Alphabakes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flavour combination of orange and hazelnut. Great pictures as always and definitely cake for celebrating anything. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!