Thursday, 25 June 2015

My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies

Thick and ultra gooey, these brownies are infintiely adaptable but they all share one common feature - they are AMAZING! My ultimate brownie recipe, the one I base all others on.The BEST brownies ever. Read on for the secret ingredient.
My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies made with Terrys chocolate orange. Worlds best!
It is finally time. Time to share with you my ultimate brownie recipe. I've felt strangely protective of this particular recipe even though I've shared with you many of the variations I've made from it. Remember these Creme Egg brownies? Or their cousin, the Galaxy caramel brownies? These overloaded ones went down a storm at uni and these Baileys whisky brownies were so good they are now joint first with these as my mums favourite. 
My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies made with Terrys chocolate orange. Worlds best!
You may well be asking what has brought about this change of heart. To be honest I'm not quite sure. What I do know is that it is a recipe I am incredibly proud of having created it when I set out to follow a published recipe and deciding at each step that I wanted to do it differently. It seems like a fitting time to share the recipe when I'm also full of happiness over my results. You see, two days ago was results day. For those who don't know already, I've just completed the final year of my MChem degree. It turns out that despite having a meltdown in the middle of my Physical chemistry exam I'm still going to graduate in July with a first. And a very high averaging one at that.
My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies made with Terrys chocolate orange. Worlds best!
These brownies are definitely a fitting tribute. My secret weapon is a Terrys chocolate orange. Sure, normal milk chocolate makes for a very good brownie but the humble Terrys takes them to a whole new level. Or lets you sink to a whole new depth of wonder and dreaminess. Seriously, if there is a good way to go drowning in a thick square of ultra gooey, soft and squidgy brownie must be it. The melted dark chocolate combines with melted Terrys orange to create a fragile, crisp sugary top over pillows of wonder, infused throughout with the most amazing flavour. Chunks of white chocolate and more orange milk chocolate are nuggets of hidden treasure. Rich these brownies may be but they are so good you will want to cut them into big squares. 
My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies made with Terrys chocolate orange. Worlds best!
Mum loves these brownies so much that every time she sees Terrys oranges on offer she buys one, hence why we have a stash on top of the kitchen cupboards. They are addictive, just like the baked goods they go into. As for my degree, I'm glad it's over. As cliche as it is, I'm moving onto bigger and better things, surrounded by brilliant researchers and academics. Maybe I'll even treat them to a batch of these one day. If I don't make another variation before then. 


print recipe

My Favourite Ultimate Gooey Brownies
Makes 16 small or 9 large brownies
Thick and ultra gooey, these brownies are infintiely adaptable but they all share one common feature - they are AMAZING! My ultimate brownie recipe, the one I base all others on.The BEST brownies ever. Read on for the secret ingredient.
Ingredients
  • 85g butter
  • 90g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 95g Terrys milk chocolate orange, chopped
  • 75g white chocolate, chopped
  • 3 eggs
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g plain flour
  • 30g cocoa powder
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line an 8" square cake tin with baking paper. 2. Melt the butter, dark chocolate and 35g of Terrys chocolate together in the microwave and set aside to cool slightly.3. Whisk the eggs and sugar together until foamy then stir in the vanilla and melted chocolate mixture. Stir in the flour and cocoa powder until just combined then stir in the remaining chopped chocolate.4. Pour the mixture into the cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins. A cake tester inserted into the middle will come out with a bit of mixture on it. Leave to cool on a wire rack before lifting brownies out and slicing into squares.

I'm sending these off to the O themed Alphabakes because of the Terrys orange they contain. Caroline from Caroline Makes hosts this month and alternates with Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker

12 comments:

  1. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!!! I am most definitely bookmarking these to try as I am a Terry's chocolate orange fiend. Your brownies look so chunky and irresistably squidgy. Great photos!

    And congratulations on receiving a first! Brilliant to hear all your hard work has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jo. If you love Terrys Orange you've got to try these brownies - I hope you enjoy them as much as we do :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on such an excellent exam result. Those brownies look so soft and fudgy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate brownies and I think they would be very nice with the addition of your secret ingredient! Thanks for sharing with Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Laura! Fab result and worth all that hard work!
    The brownie looks delicious..... I love using different chocolate sweets in brownies..... I have tried the chocolate-orange combo too..... I can vouch for it being quite amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo! Back up. I'm glad you agree it is wonderful!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on your excellent results! Well done and these brownies are definitely perfect for celebrating. I've loved all your variations on your favourite brownie recipe but this one takes the biscuit,I mean brownie! Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Ros. Every time I make a variation I think it might be my new favourite but then I always come back to this one it's so good.

      Delete
  6. Congrats! And what delicious brownies too - this is just how I like mine, nice soft, gooey and dense. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!