Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes

Sticky and sweet, these cupcakes are loaded with treacle and syrup with a wonderful ginger kick. Your favourite sticky Jamaican ginger loaf cake in a more transportable form.
Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes - the classic cake in cupcake form
It feels strange to be writing so many blog posts lately. It feels weird to notbe working full stop. Since I completed my last bit of work for my MChem degree all I've had to do is pack and do what I want to relax. This is a new concept for me. I'm one of those people who doesn't know how to relax and when I pick up a book or log into Pinterest for nothing more than a browse I feel teribly lazy. Even though that is the whole point of this summer - the relax and recuperate ready for the autumn - it still feels odd to not have to do something.
Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes - the classic cake in cupcake form
What doesn't feel odd is presenting you with a recipe which is typically atumnal in the middle of June. I've said several times before that I'm not one to limit certain flavours to certain times of year just to go along with convention. Of course it's possible to enjoy ginger cake in the summer. Especially when it is as nice as this one.
Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes - the classic cake in cupcake form
Jamaican ginger cake is typically very sticky and this recipe has that down. Even holding so much back treacle and golden syrup doesn't make these cupcakes densy or heavy. Each bite into the soft and tender crumb yields a rich depth of flavour from the treacle, perfectly complemented by the heady ginger. In winter the spices would be warming but in summer they provide a refreshing change, the perfect finisher to a meal, or alongside a cup of tea in the afternoon.
Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes - the classic cake in cupcake form
The first time I made this recipe and took it into the office the tinwas practically snatched out of my hand. You can of course use molasses instead of treacle if it is not available or prefer a slightly more subtle flavour. The recipe is also perfectly suited to being baked in a bundt tin or as a loaf cake. As cupcakes though, this classic recipe is portioned up ready for sharing and is easy to transport. If you don't have stem ginger, feel free to use cystallised ginger like Kate did in her decoration or leave it out entirely. And remember, not all cupcakes need a crown of buttercream. Some naked cakes are far better left to fend for themselves, these Jamaican cupcakes included.  


print recipe

Jamaican Ginger Cupcakes
Sticky and sweet, these cupcakes are loaded with treacle and syrup with a wonderful ginger kick. Your favourite sticky Jamaincan ginger loaf cake in a more transportable form.
Ingredients
  • 175g plain flour
  • 1 tbsp ginger
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 0.75 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 100g black treacle (or molasses)
  • 75g golden syrup*
  • 75g granulated sugar
  • 75g butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 75ml water
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 2 balls stem ginger, grated
  • 1 large egg
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper cases. 2. In the microwave heat together the treacle, syrup, sugar, butter, vanilla, water, milk and stem ginger. Stir at regular intervals and once combined set aside to cool slightly.3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, spices and bicarbonate of soda. Pour in the melted ingredients and stir together, then mix in the egg.4. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 mins, until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. 5. Carefully remove the cakes from the tray and leave to cool on a wire rack. Decorate with more greated stem ginger if you wish.
*Replace a portion with an equal weight of syrup from the stem ginger jar. As much as you can spare. 

I'm sending these cupcakes off to Bookmarked Recipes run by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes because I pinned the recipe from What Kate Baked as soon as I saw it. I knew it would be perfect. Also to the No Waste Food Challenge run by Elizabeth at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary - I made these to use up the last of my stem ginger, one of those ingredients that you buy then end up lurking in a cupboard for ages. Karen is hosting Tea Time Treats this month at Lavender and Lovage where the theme is muffins, fairy cakes and cupcakes. She shares hosting duties with Janie from The Hedgecombers.

16 comments:

  1. Savor every moment you have off Laura, as having a full summer to do whatever your heart desires can be rare. Perhaps a good book, cup of tea and a tray full of these beauties is in order. And speaking of these cupcakes. . .they look absolutely divine. I love the little crown of ginger that sits on their tops. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure about the ginger on top but went for a 'oh what the he'll' and did it anyway!

      Delete
  2. These cupcakes look divine and as a massive lover of ginger - these are ideal for me to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo you'll definitely love these then. I hope you get to give them a go!

      Delete
  3. I do like a good sticky ginger cake and these look as though they fit the bill - mmmm. If only you'd added chocolate they'd be good for #WeShouldCocoa too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know, I was so tempted. Especially dark chocolate. Maybe I'll make a variation this autumn. I know I'll have enough people to help me eat them!

      Delete
  4. Mm Mmmmmm. This photos are amazing! I swear I could almost taste the sweet, sticky gingeryness :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who says ginger cake is for cold weather? It's Jamaican isn't it??
    These look perfect! I love love love the glazed top. What is it that you have brushed on top?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of it like that! I brushed a little thinned down golden syrup on top but that is totally optional. If you take them out of the oven right on time they do get a lovely shiny top anyway

      Delete
  6. ABSOLUTELY stunning - thanks for adding them to Tea Time Treats for June! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! I love ginger and treacle and I would quite happily scoff my way through an entire batch of these! Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. BlueHost is ultimately the best website hosting company with plans for all of your hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!