Friday, 5 June 2015

Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins

It's that time of year again. My blogiversary. 3 years this little blog has been running. I know of blogs that have been going for less and have achieved more. Have more readers, more follows and more outreach opportunities but that doesn't matter to me. I'll continue to hit publish for as long as I enjoy blogging and that doesn't seem set to change any time soon. 
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins - no added fat treats!
Some people bake a real showstopper of a cake to celebrate their blogiversary but for me, I like to go back to where I started. My very first post was for a Weetabix cake so it has become a sort of tradition to make a variation on Weetabix cake. At the first year mark I had as good as given up blogging but last year I made a cherry and chocolate orange Weetabix cake. This year, I'm in the middle of packing ready to move house (!!!) so I'm currenly using up whatever is in my cupboards. I wanted to make just a small cake so these Weetabix muffins were born.
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins - no added fat treats!
I really ought to make Weetabix cakes more often. They're really fun! Quick, easy and no added fat should also be added to their list of attributes. Yep, that's right. These moreish muffins don't contain any butter or all. Surely that makes them low fat?! Even if you decide to drizzle chocolate all over them, I'm sure that doesn't count. And cocoa is full of antioxidants and stuff isn't it so it's good for you? By my reckoning these are healthy muffins. About as healthy as  my bakes get anyway.
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins - no added fat treats!
I don't know why people don't make more variations. I loved the deep and dark chocolatey flavour that comes from using cocoa. Chocolate chunks are all very good but what you chocolate in every crumb of every bite then a cocoa base is the way to go. The cherries provide juicy bursts of sweetness amongst the soft interior of each muffin and that glossy sheen on top is nothing less than an invitation to take a big bite.
Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins - no added fat treats!
These are just a little treat to enjoy with an afternoon cup of tea or as a finishing touch to lunch. Relax and enjoy them. And help celebrate I'd Much Rather Bake Than... for I'll be eternally grateful.


print recipe

Dark Chocolate and Cherry Weetabix Muffins
Use up old Weetabix in these desply chocolately muffins with burts of juicy sweetness from the glace cherries.
Ingredients
  • 130g plain flour
  • 20g cocoa powder
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 85g sugar
  • 0.5 tsp mixed spice
  • 1 Weetabix, crushed into crumbs
  • 100g glace cherries, halved, rinsed and dried
  • 150 ml yoghurt or milk
  • 1 egg
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan and line a muffin tray with 8 cases.2. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, spice and sugar. Stir in the Weetabix crumbs followed by the cherries.3. Mix together the yoghurt or milk and the egg. Stir into the dry ingredients until just combined then divide between the paper cases.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then reduce the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for approximately 15 more mins until a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the muffins comes out clean. Carefully remove from the muffin tray onto a wire rack and leave to cool.

I'm going to share these with the No Waste Food Challenge run by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary because Weetabix cake are the perfect way to use up that cereal dust that inevitably comes from crumbly Weetabix. It is a shame to throw it away so make these instead. 
 

12 comments:

  1. Happy Happy Blog Birthday! I love Weetabix--hard to find at times here in US, but makes me think of my Canadian Family that eats it daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another use for them when you do find them!

      Delete
  2. Happy Blogiversary!! I'll be coming up on my three years soon - I should probably figure out exactly when that is haha! I've never had weetabix cake before, but these muffins look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes look it up, any excuse to bake something special!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on 3 years blogging! I've never baked with Weetabix before, I will have to give it a try, these muffins sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look tasty! I think I could substitute a wheat cereal like Shredded Wheat here in the USA in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 3rd blog birthday! These muffins look like a gorgeous way to celebrate :) Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge, and here's to many more years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. It's always a pleasure :)

      Delete
  6. These are delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!