Saturday, 13 June 2015

Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake

Add a shot of coffee to your typical banana bread recipe to create a new favourite. Roasted bananas make all the difference to this mini bundt recipe.
Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake - the new banoffee!
Confession time. I almost didn't blog this recipe. The day I made it I was feeling really down (loooong story) and didn't feel like taking any pictures so it's a good job I woke up the next day and felt energised and determined. It would have been a terrible waste otherwise. The cake is so good!
Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake - the new banoffee!
I haven't tried a banana and coffee cake before but I have roasted bananas to make my banana bread even more lovely. It's so worth it and doesn't take long at all. I've also been dying to christen my new tin which I found brand new in a charity shop. I was trying to avoid buying any more baking things but I wasn't going to miss this bargain. I'm also slowly developing an addiction to bundts. It's so easy to make a stunning cake with so little effort. The tin does all the hard work for you.
Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake - the new banoffee!
I knew this was going to be a good cake as soon as I nervously flipped it upside down to remove it from the tin. I'll admit I held my breath but it slipped out perfectly, no encouragement needed. I know there are as many banana bread recipes as there are brownie or chocolate cake recipes but I swear this one is up there with the best. Roasting the bananas gives a dreamy depth of flavour allowing the natural sugars to caramelise and give luscious backnotes that lift the coffee, allowing the flavours to swirl around your senses with each soft and tender bite. The coffee glaze though, well it almosts steals the show. On day one it gives a lovely fudgy frosting that you will want to slowly sink your teeth into. Let it stand for longer and the icing will dissolve in the moisture from the cake and become a wonderfully sticky drizzle like you can see here. Spoon it over each slice for an extra boost.
Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake - the new banoffee!
Second confession time, now I have you floating in cake heaven.  Back in the autumn of last year I realised I had to cut back on my blog to finish my degree. Everything is now out of the way but things have happened since then that have taught me more of what I enjoy and what I want out of my blog. As such I've decided to give up my beloved Biscuit Barrel Challenge for good. Before I reached this conclusion Alexandra from The Lass in the Apron very kindly volunteered to run the challenge while I was finishing up and I cannot say thank you enough. Alexandra did a fantastic job and you can see the round ups she created here. I thought I'd be raring to take back over come June but I twigged that guest hosting other challenges was more suited to me. I don't want the commitment of regular hosting to become a chore. I feel terribly guilty after all the hard work Alexandra has put in but it has to be done. To hopefully give a tiny reward I wanted to give a big shout out to Alexandra and her creative blog full of innovative recipes - seriously her blog is one of my favourites and I'm always amazed at the recipes. Alexandra even has her own cookbook! I hope you'll pay her a visit, browse through her droolworthy recipes and maybe even follow her blog.


print recipe

Coffee and Roasted Banana Bundt Cake
Add a shot of coffee to your typical banana bread recipe to create a new favourite. Roasted bananas make all the difference to this mini bundt recipe.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 3 tbsp oil
  • 35g honey
  • 25g soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp milk mied with 1 heaped tsp coffee granules
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 large banana (or 2 small)
  • 110g plain flour
  • 0.75 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the glaze:
  • 25g margarine or butter
  • 1 dsp milk mied with 1 heaped tsp coffee granules
  • 115g icing sugar
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C and roast the banana on a baking sheet until the skin is blackened, turning over as necessary. All the banana to cool to just warm.2. If using a small bundt tin brush with melted butter and dust with flour making sure the entire inside surface is coated. If using a 1 lb loaf tin, line with baking paper.3. Snip the end off the banana and squeeze the flesh into a bowl. Mash until smooth along with the oil, honey, sugar, vanilla, coffee milk and egg. Sift in the flour and bicarbonate of soda al stir together until just combined.4. Transfer the mixture to the tin and level off. Bake for 25-30 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool on a wire rack.5. Carefully turn the cake out of the tin and set on the wire rack the right way up. In the microwave, melt the butter with the coffee milk and icing sugar and mix until smooth. Continue to beat until cooled and thickened slightly then pour over the cake. Leave to set.

I'm sending this bundt cake off to Credit Crunch Munch because if you have over ripened bananas sat in your fruit bowl they can easily replace the roasted bananas. Jen from Jen's Food is hosting this month on behalf of Camilla from Fab Food 4 All and Helen from Fuss Free Flavours

9 comments:

  1. Lovely Bundt Laura! It looks so moist and spongy and the combination of roasted banana and coffee is perfect!
    Sad to hear your giving up the Biscuit Barrel, but hey...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! I know, it's sad to give it up but needs must.

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness, you have me salivating over your pictures! This bundt cake is just awesome and roasted bananas are a genius idea:-) Thanks for a fab #CreditCrunchMunch entry:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My absolute pleasure Camilla :) I'm so glad you like it.

      Delete
  3. This is just lovely! the question is coffee time or tea time - and with only using one egg I can eat the entire cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One slice with coffee and another with tea to decide ;)

      Delete
  4. That is such a cute cake, I need to get myself one of those bundt tins! Love the idea of roasting the bananas, bet that makes the kitchen smell heavenly. Thanks for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was cute, especially seeing it next to a grown up bundt tin. It makes me want to bake bundts more often but then I get distracted with another recipe before I can.

      Delete
  5. Did you know you can shorten your long urls with LinkShrink and make money for every click on your short links.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!