Monday, 18 May 2015

Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins

Exams are over. Yayyyyyy! But I still have work to do. Booooo. No really, they make us do exams then a couple of weeks later with have to do a presentation on our final year project with a poster session afterwards. Then after the poster session everyone gets very drunk on the beers and wine that are put out - except me because I don't drink. It's the most looked forward to event of the year. Even though I've still got work to do I'm extra enjoying writing this post because it's the first one I've been able to write for months without any guilt. And the goods are so worthwhile.
Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins - perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or with a bowl of soup.
It took me a while to find a cornbread recipe I actually liked. At first they were either too dull or too sweet. The I found this skillet cornbread recipe from Crunchy Creamy Sweet. It was perfect and I couldn't wait to make it again. Except life and university got in the way. Now that I'm moving (yayyyyy!) I'm trying to use things up from my cupboards and with a packet of polenta open I thought it was the perfect opportunity. I also discovered how much I like Asda own brand tomato and ricotta pesto so that needed using up too before I ate the entire jad with a spoon. I know. I'm disgusting.
Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins - perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or with a bowl of soup.
Hopefully you'll forgive me because I brought you these incredibly easy and quick to bake muffins. The morning I made them I ate too for breakfast. Well, I couldn't just leave on in the tin, sliced in half after the photos could I?
Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins - perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or with a bowl of soup.
Perfect baked fresh for breakfast or as a handy snack these muffins could replace a sandwich at lunchtime or sit happily alongside a bowl of soup. Bite through the thin and crisp crust and you will be rewarded by a delightfully soft golden yellow crumb with a hint of texture from the polenta. Soon you will reach the core where a herby pocket of rich and creamy pesto awaits. You had best reach for another because you'll finish the first off far too quickly. Bland is not a word that can be applied here.
Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins - perfect for breakfast, lunch, snack or with a bowl of soup.
Any pesto would work as a filling for these muffins. I simply went with what I was enjoying at the time. I'm extra pleased they are carrying on from the success of my other savoury muffins. Next time I think I'll make them as a whole skillet cornbread bake so I get extra pesto because why not?


print recipe

Tomato Pesto Stuffed Cornbread Muffins
Soft and full of flavour, these cornbread muffins hide pockets of a creamy, tangy tomato pesto. Perfect for breakfast or a snack, with soup or salad.
Ingredients
  • 125g plain flour
  • 150g polenta (or cornmeal)
  • 15g sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.5 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 60 ml oil
  • 240 ml buttermilk (or mix 2 tsp vinegar with milk)
  • 12 tsp tomato pesto
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan and line a muffin tray with paper muffin cases.2. Sift together the flour, polenta, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In a jug, whisk together the the egg, oil and buttermilk. Stir the wet into the dry until just combined. A little lumpy is fine.3. Divide the mixture between the cases, reserving about 1/4. Make a slight dip in the centre of each muffin and add 1 tsp of pesto. Carefully cover with the remaining micture.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-18 mins. Carefully remove each muffin from the tray and place on a wire rack to cool.
I'm sharing these muffins with Simply Eggcellent run by Dom at Belleau Kitchen - the theme this month is Savoury. The Biscuit Barrel Challenge is themed Party and as much as I love sweet things, even I'll acknowledge that parties need savoury snacks too. Alexandra from The Lass in the Apron has done such a fantastic job hosting for me while I finished my degree that I'm going to feel like I'm stealing the reins back next month! I'm also sending them off to Elizabeth's No Waste Food Challenge at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I needed to use the jar up that was unopened in my cupboard because I'm moving soon and these muffins were inspired by my clear out.

20 comments:

  1. I've never seen this done before, what a great idea. I've got some chilli pesto somewhere, I bet that would be great in these. I can imagine eating them for breakfast too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely. I'm trying a gluten free version next time with buckwheat flour!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura, I do hope you'll come over to Food on Friday: Corn to add this to the recipe collection! Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, so glad you stopped by to add to the collection. If you would like me to send you a reminder about each new Food on Friday, just drop me a line on ca4ole@gmail.com . Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore cornbread at the moment as I've only recently discovered IT. These muffins look wonderful and I love the tomato pesto. So lovely. Thanks for the brilliant Simply Eggcellent entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom. I've found cornbread can be very moreish.

      Delete
  5. I love tomato pesto. These look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the look of these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love savory muffins, these sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a clever idea! I'd quite happily scoff a few of these with my chilli :D Thank you for sharing with the No Waste Food Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I made these I was a little bit sad that I'd already used up all my many batches of chilli from the freezer. I must make more of both when I'm in my new house.

      Delete
  9. BlueHost is ultimately the best hosting company for any hosting plans you might need.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!