Thursday, 7 May 2015

Speculaas Spiced Cupcakes

Exams are looming. I know I keep repeating this fact but it's pretty much all I'm thinking about right now. Which means it's almost time for graduation and then freedom!!!!! Of course all this means I shouldn't be writing a blog post but seeing as I'm frequently awake at stupid times I keep doing little bits here and there. Well I might as well make the most of my time if my body won't use it for sensible things like sleeping, hadn't I?
Speculaas Spiced Cupcakes aka Speculoos, Biscoff or Cookie Butter
These cupcakes are another of the things I had on the list of cakes to bake that I wrote while studying the melting point of my compound. Talk of cake is not excluded from the lab. In fact, the lab is the perfect time to talk about cake. Well, it is in my lab. The other chemists in there has better get ready for the next three years.
Speculaas Spiced Cupcakes aka Speculoos, Biscoff or Cookie Butter
I've actually had the idea for these in my head since I made these speculaas spiced shortbread biscuits. I wanted something simple to really show off the flavour of the spices. It had to be quick  too because my time is really limited so I went for the all in one sponge method. The results were perfect. Light and airy, the tender soft pillow of sponge provides a delicate base to show off the aromatic mix of spices that is characteristic of speculaas. The dreamy buttercream is whipped to a fluffiness unrivalled by other frostings. It allows the spices to ride through in a sultry manner to complement the cupcake underneath.
Speculaas Spiced Cupcakes aka Speculoos, Biscoff or Cookie Butter
I admit that I had to explain several times to the people in the lab what speculaas actually is. I'm afraid it didn't quite sink in. They were probably paying more attention to the fact that there was cake available. No matter, these spiced cupcakes went down a treat - proof that I can actually bake things that don't contain chocolate! I was told the next day that everyone loved them so really, why would I ask for more.


print recipe

Speculaas Spiced Cupcakes
Wonderfully soft sponge spiced with the authentic speculaas spice blend and topped with a perfectly light and fluffy caramel spiced buttercream. Made using the super quick all in one method, these will go down a treat.
Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
  • 175g tub margarine or softened butter
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 175g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp Speculaas spice mix
  • Splash of milk
For the buttercream:
  • 60g butter, softened
  • 0.25 tsp molasses
  • 150g icing sugar
  • 1 tbsp Speculaas spice mix
  • 2 tbsp milk
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and place 12 cupcake cases into a muffin tray.2. Place all the cupcake ingredients into a bowl and mix together until smooth and just combined3. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake for about 18-20 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the cupcakes from the tray to a wire rack to cool completely.4. For the buttercream, beat the butter until pale and creamy then beat in the molasses. Sieve the icing sugar and spices into the bowl in portions, mixing in between each addition. Mix in the milk then continue to mix until the buttercream is light and fluffy.5. Spread or pipe the buttercream onto the cupcakes and decorate if you wish.


I'm sharing these cookies with CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. The Spice Trail run by Vanesther at Bagers & Mash has the theme of spice mixes this month so these cupcakes are perfect for it. Speculaas spices come from the Netherlands which is a country in the Eurovision song contest so is perfect for Treat Petite this month hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi, who alternates with Kat from The Baking Explorer.

18 comments:

  1. Nearly there Laura! Keep baking (and eating) the cake and you'll be fine! I am certain that creativity on the kitchen and a sweetly full tum will enhance all other brain activity......

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound lovely! The all in one sponge method hard to beat, so quick and versatile. I'm also guilty of writing blog posts (and leaving comments!) late at night when I should be sleeping!

    By the way I used the malt chocolate icing from your last blog post on banana cupcakes this week. Oh my god SO GOOD! Silkiest icing ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's brilliant news. I'm SO glad you tried it and even more pleased you enjoyed it :) pairing malt chocolate and banana sounds like a genius flavour combination.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for taking the time to enter your cupcakes into Treat Petite. They look exceedingly scrumptious. I wish you all the best in your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want, want, WANT! These cupcakes look just so good! And a perfect entry for the latest Spice Trail challenge - thanks for linking up. Good luck in your exams - you're almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with your exams, a spot of procrasti-baking can never do harm, especially when the cakes look as good as this :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with your exams!! These cupcakes sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! These sound great :) I havent made cupcakes in ages but I really should get back to it :) A baking break is a great way to recharge suring study!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly thought so - I um, made sure I recharged frequently ;)

      Delete
  8. Everyone needs a bit of a break from exam stress, so I'd say baking and blogging are certainly allowed! They look delicious! good luck with the exams.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Making, baking and eating are great exam stress busters. These look so deliciously yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm not sure which I've done more of lately, revising or baking/eating!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!