Sunday, 10 May 2015

New Method Chocolate Chip Cookies

These cookies were an accident. Not the most enticing start to a blog post but it's true. Which makes me extra pleased to report that they are in fact wonderful.
Soft baked Chocolate Chip Cookies with the flavour of a digestive biscuit. Wonderfull and low sugar!
I set out to make these cookies from Handle the Heat. Sometimes I want to bake so many things that I don't know what to bake. However, this recipe caught my eye as soon as it popped into my email inbox, so much so that I knew I had to bake them. After breakfast I headed into the kitchen. Aaaaaand forgot to put the sugar in.
Soft baked Chocolate Chip Cookies with the flavour of a digestive biscuit. Wonderfull and low sugar!
 Yep, that's right. I accidentally created a low sugar chocolate chip cookie that tastes beautiful. I didn't forget the honey or the molasses that I use to make my oown brown sugar instead of buying it so there is still some sweetness. The generous chunks of milk and dark chocolate add to that too so you won't miss the sugar in the slightest. Tessa describes her cookie recipe as a digestive biscuit in chewy chocolate chip cookie form and that is exactly what I was reminded of at my first bite.
Soft baked Chocolate Chip Cookies with the flavour of a digestive biscuit. Wonderfull and low sugar!
These cookies have a slightly crisp edge with a soft, deliciously tender inside that practically melts in your mouth. They stay soft and yielding too, making you return again and again for another portion of delight. The flavour is sublime - using a well flavoured honey only adds to that while the little bit of molasses adds a touch of caramel which I will never, ever argue with. Then the chocolate. Hand cut chunks prevail throughout as little pockets of sweet and creamy rewards while more sit invitingly on top. 
Soft baked Chocolate Chip Cookies with the flavour of a digestive biscuit. Wonderfull and low sugar!
Are you a dark chocolate digestive fan or a milk chocolate lover? I used to only touch dark chocolate digestives but I'm being slowly turned towards milk, making the combination I used here perfect. Use whatever chocolate prefer - white would be good too. What's more, these cookies are egg free so will cater to a group of people who normally miss out on such treats. Whatever your diet, I reckon it's time to put the kettle on.


print recipe

New Method Chocolate Chip Cookies
Imagine a soft baked chewy chocolate chip cookies crossed with a digestive biscuit and you've got these cookies in one. Hand cut the chocolate for large chunks in eat bite. As an added bonus they are low sugar too!
Ingredients
  • 310g plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 115g cold butter, cubed
  • 4 tbsp milk
  • 4 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp molasses
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 200g your favourite chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Sieve together the flour, bicarbonate of sida and cinnamon. Rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Mix together the honey, molasses, milk and vanilla then pour into the flour/butter. Mix together until combined evenly then stir in the chocolate. 2. Squeeze the dough together into a disc and wrap in cling film. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.3. After at least two hours, set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Roll the dough into balls and place on the baking sheet, pressing down slightly. My cookies weighed about 35g each.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes then remove from the oven, waiting a few minutes for the cookies to firm up before transferring to a wire rack. Cool the baking sheet and bake the rest of the cookie dough as before.


I'm sharing these cookies with CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. Also to Bookmarked Recipes run by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes because I wanted to bake them as soon as I saw them.

20 comments:

  1. Wow, Laura, what a happy accident--these look great. Gotta try them. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look delicious! Can't believe they turned out so yummy without the sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a surprise when I realised, I had to keep going back to make sure they did taste that nice ;)

      Delete
  3. These look oh so delicious! I love how loaded with chocolate chips they are too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad they worked out – I have forgotten the sugar in bakes before and it certainly did not work out as well. But I bet the chunky chocolate more than made up for it! Thanks for linking to #CookblogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too - it was meant to be ;) I remember another time I forgot to add the sugar - it was a cake I made years ago. My mum could tell straight away and didn't like it but my dad thought it was great because he's a diabetic so it got it to himself. Not that sugary foods stop him normally!

      Delete
  5. So there you go...... Who says a good cookie needs all that sugar anyway? I bet they were better for leaving it out! And they seem to have worked really well without it, so well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a surprise. And when I couldn't stop at just one it didn't feel quite so bad ;)

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a happy accident! I think I would eat any kind of cookie there was....these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! I am so happy you made this mistake. These look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a unique cookie! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good mistake. Glad you didn't waste all that chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, I'd never waste chocolate! :)

      Delete
  10. Could I replace some of the flour with rolled oats? Maybe 3:1 ratio? Do you think they would still hold up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure to be honest as I've never tried it. I think the texture would be completely different. Grinding the oats into a flour consistency might help but them as they are gluten free the cookies might be extra crumbly. Let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!