Sunday, 31 May 2015

Double Cheese, Hummus and Spinach Toastie

It's over. My final year of my MChem degree is finally all over. Friday saw out the presentation and poster I had to do after completing my exams so now I am well and truly freeeeeeee! Until the autumn when it all atarts again but so much worse. No really, I do want to do a PhD. Honest.
A toastie or Grilled Cheese Sandwich packed with cream cheese, Cheddar, spinach and homemade sundried tomato hummus.
This toastie (or grilled cheese if you prefer) is something I frequently had for lunch throughout my revision period. One day I figured this particular combination of fillings was so good that I had to share it with you. It really did keep me going but that isn't to say you have to eat it under times of stress. Yes, it's the perfect comforter and brain food meal but really, I would happily eat it all year round. I'm not one for only eating certain food at certain times of the year. 
A toastie or Grilled Cheese Sandwich packed with cream cheese, Cheddar, spinach and homemade sundried tomato hummus.
So what is in that filling which is tantalisingly oozing out of the centre. Let's start from the first layer of bread. I chose wholemeal because I like the nutty flavour and the feeling that I am being marginally healthier. Then there is a thin blanket of cream cheese to give a soft background to the heat that comes from the smear of mustard or sweet chilli sauce that comes next. Next a layer of grated cheddar. A bed of torn spinach leaves adds some colour and a boost of nutrients then a thick spreading of homamade sundried tomato hummus add more goodness for the body and soul. Next another sprinkling of grated cheddar then the finaly layer of bread spread with cream cheese again goes on top. 
A toastie or Grilled Cheese Sandwich packed with cream cheese, Cheddar, spinach and homemade sundried tomato hummus.
The cheeses and hummus melt into one amazing, oozing gooey layer of such flavour and delight that I cannot describe it. You can of course use a shop bought hummus or your favourite homemade version. Your favourite cheese would also work - just make sure you choose a strong flavoured one so it complements the creamy softness of the Philadelphia. My final no to so secret tip is to cook your toastie/grilled cheese not under the grill but on the hob in a frying pan, with the butter or mayonnaise (yes!!!) spread on the outside. I hope I have earned your trust by now to convince you to just go with it. Enjoy!


print recipe

Double Cheese, Hummus and Spinach Toastie
Grilled cheese sandwich or a classic toastie - whatever you called it, this is packed with cream cheese, Cheddar, spinach and sun dried tomato hummus aka love you can hold in your hand.
Ingredients
  • 2 slices bread
  • Cream cheese
  • Cheddar cheese, grated
  • Mustard or sweet chilli sauce
  • Handful of spinach leaves, torn
  • Sun dried tomato hummus
  • Butter, margarine or mayonnaise
Instructions
1. Construct your sandwich using this (recommended) order: slice of bread, cream cheese, mustard or sweet chilli sauce, Cheddar, spinach, hummus, Cheddar, cream cheese, slice of bread.2. Set a non stick frying pan over a medium heat. Spread the top slice of bread with the butter, margarine or mayonnaise. Carefully place the sandwich into the heated frying pan spread side down and reduce the heat to low.3. Spread the now top slice of bread as before. After a minute or two carefully ease up a corner of the sandwich to check how done it is. When it is a deep golden brown and crispy to your preference, carefully flip the sandwich over. Cook as before.4. Once ready, transfer to a plate, slice in half and devour. 
Optional: if you have a lid to your frying pan, place it over the sanwich once it has been flipped to help the filling get steaming hot and extra gooey.

I'm hoping I'll be allowed to enter this toastie into Simple and in Season because I've just managed to catch the end of the season when it is at its best. This month is hosted by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary for Ren Behan Food. Also to Meat Free Mondays run by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes, full of lovely vegetarian and vegan recipes.

6 comments:

  1. Hurrah- a big well done on getting through those dastardly exams and enjoy the next few months of freedom! I remember living solely on maltesers when revising for my A-Levels (a rather long time ago now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A diet of Maltesers?! Now why didn't I think of that!

      Delete
  2. Oh yum! I simply must try this! I'm a big fan of cheesie toasties, and I too eat mine with a generous dollop of tomato sauce (or bowl of cream of tomato soup to dunk!). Thank you for sharing with Simple and in Season, and congratulations on your success so far - you've done so very well! I hope you enjoy a relaxing summer off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I was going along with the theory of being kind to myself and my brain said it wanted comfort food! And I agree, the tomato sauce is a must.

      Delete
  3. Well done on finishing the MSc. Hope you get to enjoy a nice relaxing summer before the PhD, I definitely recommend being well rested before you start! This toastie sounds delicious and a good choice for study fuel, healthier than my standby of cheese on toast too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I'll definitely trust your judgement on that!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!