Friday, 22 May 2015

Baileys Whisky Brownies

Following on from the good news of getting my PhD offer and finishing my exams, I have even more good news to share. I'm moving!!!! Such a simple thing and it would have had to have happened anyway at the end of June when my uni tenancy runs out but when you find a new house that you really want to go to, moving becomes something of an excitement. 
Baileys Luxe Whisky brownies - ultra gooey and full of chocolate
Admittedly I'm getting excited too early. I've only just started the tenancy application and I might not get it yet. But it's lovely and it felt right as soon as I saw it. So now I've fell in love with the house I want to out of this horrible down ASAP. Which means I want to get everything I'm taking packed into boxes and opened packets used up. These brownies are the result of that quest. 
Baileys Luxe Whisky brownies - ultra gooey and full of chocolate
For all the alcohol that I don't cosume because of not drinking, I make up for it by thinking of baking ideas for it instead. Whisky is probably my favourite spirit to add to cakes. It goes so well with chocolate don't you think? So when I ended up with a couple of tablespoons of whisky left in the bottle, a sample bottle of Baileys Chocolat Luxe and four chocolate eggs filled with whisky cream liqueur, marrying them together in a batch of super gooey brownies was the only answer.
Baileys Luxe Whisky brownies - ultra gooey and full of chocolate
These are the result. The amazign result. When I first bit into one a smug little smile crept over my face. I immediately looked forward to dropping them off at the soon-to-be-my-research-office and I was not disappointed. They went down a treat. Sumptuous and sweet, the hit of the chocolate and cocoa is the perfect carrier for the smoky kick of the whisky. The creaminess of the Baileys and the liqueur shines through, smoothly swirling around the generous chunks of chocolate sprinkled throughout.
Baileys Luxe Whisky brownies - ultra gooey and full of chocolate
I have a bit of a thing for brownies. It's hard to pick my favourite but these Baileys brownies are definitely up there. These Cadbury mini egg brownies are the twin to my celebratory caramel egg brownies. I've also made overloaded brownies and ones with courgettes and stuffed with Nutella. I even made myself a batch of peanut butter brownies to see myself through exam week. The results of that forray will beup soon enough but for now, I hope these will tide you over.


print recipe

Baileys Whisky Brownies
The perfect gooey chocolate brownie infused with whisky and Baileys Chocolat Luxe for a little devilish treat.
Ingredients
  • 85g butter
  • 4-6 (depending on size/preference) whisky cream liqueurs
  • 75g + 25g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 2 tbsp whisky
  • 50 ml Baileys Chocolat Luxe
  • 3 large eggs
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 30g cocoa
  • 100g plain flour
  • 100g milk chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Melt the butter, liqueurs and 75g dark chocolate together in the microwave. Stir in the whisky and Baileys then set aside to cool slightly.2.Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 8" square tin with baking paper.3. Whisk the eggs with the sugar until frothy then whisk in the vanilla extract followed by the cooled melted chocolate mixture. Sift in the flour and cocoa and stir into the mixture with the milk chocolate and remaining dark chocolate until just combined. If you wish, save some of the chocolate to sprinkle on top of the brownies.4. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins until a cake tester inserted into thecentre comes out with just a bit of gooey mixture on. Sprinkle on the reserved chocolate after 20 mins baking time.5. Cool fully on a wire rack then lift out and slice into pieces.


I'm sending these brownies off to CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes but this month hosted by Angela of Patisserie Makes Perfect. Also, to Karen at Lavender and Lovage who is hosting We Should Cocoa for Choclette at Tin and Thyme this month. The theme is vanilla and I always put vanilla in brownies.

7 comments:

  1. Well done on finishing your exams and good luck with the house move - hope it all goes to plan. These brownies look scrumptious and I'm not surprised that they went down a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love baking with alcohol! It's actually very versatile. These brownies look so fudgy and delicious. I could really do with one of these right now. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the chocolate and whisky Laura, it makes for a luxurious and sophisticated combination. Well done on your PhD offer - presumably this is pre results? House move sounds exciting too. Good luck. And thanks for sharing with #WeShouldCocoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, my offer stands without having the results which is a relief! More luxurious cakes will be needed for the next three years!

      Delete
  4. BlueHost is definitely one of the best web-hosting company with plans for any hosting needs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!