Monday, 6 April 2015

Mini Galaxy Caramel Egg Brownies

What would you do to celebrate something you have been hoping for and working towards finally coming off? An evening at the pub? A meal out? If you're anything like me then you will get in the kitchen and bake. And hence the reason for these ultra gooey, massively chocolately brownies, topped of course with Easter chocolate. Because why not. It's a celebration after all. 
Ultra gooey brownies with a Mini Galaxy Caramel Egg in each piece
So the big announcement. Most of you know I'm in the final year of a MChem degree and so I should be frantically looking for jobs in between trying to cram as much information into my head as possible. Well I don't need to look for jobs because in September I'll be starting a PhD!!!!! I'll be working on organic total product synthesis in the same research group that I did my final year project with. The PhD project I've got is really interesting (and even more confusing) and I'm so pleased I was offered it. Quite why I want to go through the stress again that I experience while writing my dissertation, only a thousand times worse, I don't know. But there will be cake involved - I know that for certain.
Ultra gooey brownies with a Mini Galaxy Caramel Egg in each piece
These brownies are an adaptation of my favourite ever brownie recipe which I also based these Overloaded Brownies on as well as these Mini Creme Egg Brownies. I've also made brownies with and mayonnaise, some with courgettes and a Nutella surprise, and I'll never forget the gluten free five ingredient brownies I made last year. These brownies though, these may just be my new favourites.
Ultra gooey brownies with a Mini Galaxy Caramel Egg in each piece
Wickedly indulgent and packed full of dark chocolate, a mini Galaxy caramel nestles on top of each square amongst a smattering of chopped white chocolate. Sweet yet not sickly, just sinfully good. The most gooey brownie you will experience and highly appreciated by all. Here's to the next three years of Chemistry.


Mini Galaxy Caramel Egg Brownies


Makes 16 small brownies
Incredibly gooey and deliciously rich, each brownie is finished off with a Galaxy caramel egg. A good way to use up Easter chocolate!









Ingredients
  • 16 mini Galaxy caramel eggs, unwrapped and put in the freezer at least a few hours before baking
  • 125g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 85g butter
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 30g cocoa powder
  • 50g white chocolate chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line an 8" square tin with baking paper.  
2. Melt the dark chocolate with the butter in a microwave or over a pan of simmering water. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until combined and foamy then whisk in the vanilla. Stir in the cooled chocolate/butter mixture then sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Stir together until only just combined.
4. Pour into the tin and level off. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins then remove from the oven and quickly place a caramel egg where each piece will be, avoiding where you will cut. Press down slightly. Scatter over the white chocolate and return to the oven for 15 to 20 mins. A cake tester inserted into the centre should come out with gooey crumbs on it. 
5. Cool on a wire rack completely before removing from the tin and slicing.


Of course, I want to share these brownies with as many people as possible. First, CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. The AlphaBakes challenge is welcoming B bakes this month, currently hosted with Caroline from Caroline Makes alternating with Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker. Treat Petite for April is hosted by Kat, The Baking Explorer who shares duties with Cakeyboi Stuart. The these is spring so these brownies, a perfect way to use up Easter chocolate, should fit the bill. Karen from Lavender and Lovage has chosen the theme for Tea Time Treats as chocolate so this entry goes without saying. Her co-host is Janie from The Hedgecombers. And of course, The Biscuit Barrel, which is currently being hosted by Alexandra from The Lass in the Apron while I finish off my degree. Alexandra is doing a fantastic job at hosting for me so please, please go over and say hi and scour her inventive recipes.

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting into a PhD! These look very appropriate for your celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, your brownies look fab x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on the PhD! Fantastic news – definitely worth of such indulgent brownies : ) They look slightly dangerous... #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow look at those brownies. Definitely a good celebration brownie - congrats on bring offered the PhD project and good luck! I just wish I could have a slice or two :) Thanks for entering AlphaBakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros, I'll be sure to keep the cakes coming throughout my PhD!

      Delete
  5. These are seriously indulgent! They look perfectly textured too.....
    Congratulations on the PhD...... sounds like hard work, but I am sure it will be amazingly interesting and rewarding. Add lots of cake and the intellect will be well rewarded! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, so much chocolatey goodness! A perfect way to celebrate the PhD! Thanks for entering into Treat Petite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the PhD program. These brownies should help you get though lots of later night studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes I do rather like baking brownies, and eating them even more ;)

      Delete
  8. This is a great way to use up any leftover Easter Candy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear it makes it taste better too ;)

      Delete
  9. Looks a good way to celebrate some exciting news! Good luck with the PhD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look amazing - really indulgent! Thanks for sharing with Alphabakes - and congrats on getting accepted for the PhD!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on getting the PhD place! It's a long hard slog and you will definitely need lots of cake. Can't believe I'm actually graduating from mine next month. Really hope it all goes well for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased for you when I read that you'd passed. I'm looking forward to starting and am dreading it in equal measures. I know there will be lots of happy times but I think I'll need reminding of that when I'm wailing because I can't get anything to work haha

      Delete
  12. BlueHost is ultimately the best web-hosting company for any hosting plans you might require.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!