Sunday, 15 March 2015

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes


What happens when you have to sit staring at a melting point apparatus for half an hour in the lab? Well if you're me you fill the back few pages of your nearest notebook with a list of ideas you want to bake and then proceed to write out the recipes for them. And then feel hugely disappointed when your compound actually starts to melt so you have to pay attention. Everyone else in the lab is used to this sort of behaviour from me by now. During times of particular stress I've even had it thrown at me 'why haven't you brought cake in today?!'. Even half the lecturers know about my baking obsession and this little blog of mine.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cupcakes all in one method
Recently Taylor and Colledge very kindly offered to send me some of their new extract pastes to try out. After hearing good things about their range of vanilla products I jumped at the chance and when my package arrived, I very excitedly opened it up to find I had received extracts of vanilla, lemon, peppermint, lavender, almond and coconut. Such a lovely array of flavours don't you think? The pastes are all from either organic or natural sources and their is a little bit of information as to the origin on the box of each one. (I love little geeky facts like these!) The real beauty about the pastes though is that they are concentrated so you only need a little to make a big impact.
Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cupcakes all in one method
I've been fancying mint flavoured things for a while now so it was the peppermint paste I broke into first. The smell was divine as I broke the seal and squuezed out a little into my mixing bowl. The consistency was beautifully smooth and not too thick so it mixed into the other ingredients like a dream. It was only my first try of these new concentrated extract pastes but already I was impressed by the quality. Next came the taste test.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cupcakes all in one method
I actually made mint chocolate chip cookies with the peppermint paste first but that post is waiting for another time. The cookies were wonderful and chewy, the indulgence lifted with a refreshing breath of cooling mint but these cupcakes are really where it is at. My time is very limited at the moment because I'm writing my final year dissertation, and then I head straight into exam revision, so I went straight for an all in one sponge mixture. It was the right choice. Super soft and and achingly tender, the amount of cocoa gives a powerful chocolate hit while maintaining a level of sweetness that showcases the flavour to its best.  I toyed around with a couple of icing ideas before settling on a minty version of the cookie dough icing (frosting if you prefer) I used on this traybake. The same one that disappeared to rave reviews. Super creamy and whipped to a light, delicious finish the mini chocolate chips mixed right in remind you instantly of mint chocolate chip ice cream - one of my favourite flavours.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Chocolate Cupcakes all in one method
The feedback? 'AMAZING!' Caps lock and all. So yes, Taylor and Colledge's concentrated extract pastes passed the taste test. As for the other flavours, I'm planning on making lavender and white chocolate cupcakes, remaking these muffins with the coconut one and making almond and chocolate cookies. The lemon extract would be perfect in this traybake and the vanilla paste would be a dream in my favourite Very Vanilla Cupcakes. For now, why not make these minty chocolate cupcakes? I couldn't resist adding the green food colouring. Right in time for a St Patrick's day bake too.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes
Makes 10-12 cupcakes
Soft chocolate cupcakes made using the super quick all in one method topped with fresh and minty mint chocolate chip coookie dough icing. It looks just like ice cream!










Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 115g margarine or softened butter
  • 115g caster sugar
  • 80g plain flour
  • 25g cocoa
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tso vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp milk
For the coookie dough icing (frosting):
  • 50g softened butter
  • 60g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract paste
  • Green gel food colouring (optional)
  • 65g plain flour
  • 1-2 tbsp milk
  • 35g mini chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases.
2. Put all the ingredients for the cupcakes into a bowl and use an electric mixer to mix until just combined. Divide between the cupcakes cases and bake for 20-25 mins until well risen and a cake tester inserted into themiddle of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
3.Remove the cupcakes from the oven and carefully transfer them from the muffin tray to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, make the icing. Beat the butter until creamy then beat in the caster sugar, peppermint extract and enough green food gel to get the shade you want, until light and fluffy. Mix in the flour and enough milk to get a soft consistency that isn't sloppy. Mix in the chocolate chips.
5. When cooled, spread the icing on top of the cupcakes and enjoy.



I'd like to enter these into CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. Also, into the Mum theme Treat Petite, this month hosted by Cakeyboi Stuart who alternates hosting duties with Kat The Baking Explorer. I know my mum would have loved these if I had made them at home and I was thinking of her as I baked them, especially as I'm missing her a lot right now, having not visited home from uni for so long.





Disclaimer: I was sent the extract pastes by Taylor and Colledge for review purposes and I was not required to write a positive review. All thoughts expressed are unprompted.

34 comments:

  1. I love chocolate and mint and these are perfect for St Patrick's Day as you say. I've used vanilla proudcts from Taylor & Colledge before and have been very impressed so I'm not surprised these pass the test too! Good luck with your dissertation and exam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros! I'll look forward to reading what you've made with the products too. It'll be a nice break from working =)

      Delete
  2. Chocolate-mint is one of my favourite combinations.... Yum! I love T & C's vanilla products.... I use them all the time. I will have to keep my eye out for their others... The idea of mint is ideal! I know what you mean about grabbing notepads and scribbling recipes.... I keep a special note book in my bag now for those moments of 'emptiness' (aka work disinterest/apathy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha good idea. I probably would have started writing on my workbench if I hadn't had a notebook with me and people still wouldn't have been surprised!

      Delete
  3. Oooh those extracts sound really good!

    I am the same way – usually scribbling down recipes or wasting time on Pinterest researching them when I should be working! My husband would adore these cupcakes (he is a mint fan) #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lucy! I always try and convince myself that the time I spend on Pinterest is research haha. The extracts are well worth it =)

      Delete
  4. Thanks for entering these into Treat Petite laura - I love the combo of cookie dough and peppermint - I can almost taste them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure if mint cookie dough would work but it certainly did :)

      Delete
  5. These look great and perfect for St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore mint and chocolate together. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look delicious! My family loves mint everything so I'm sure they will devour these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. chocolate and mint cupcakes sounds good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were popular with my friends :)

      Delete
  9. Mint choc chip is one of my absolute favourite flavours, these look awesome! I've never used paste extracts before, they sound awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really good. Well worth the buy and easy to use.

      Delete
  10. Chocolate and mint is one of my favorite combinations, these cupcake sound delicious! The extract pastes sound good too, I want to try the lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying the lavender one myself - I've never tried lavender in baking but hopefully the results will be good enough to put on here.

      Delete
  11. Yum! Those look really good...love chocolate and mint together!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
  13. i can see why you have a baking obsession. you're so good at it and these are some outstanding cupcakes

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect cupcake! That's how cupcake should look like :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you have to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER get back...

    ReplyDelete
  16. BlueHost is definitely one of the best web-hosting provider with plans for all of your hosting requirements.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!