Sunday, 15 February 2015

Wholemeal Chocolate Chunk Roasted Banana Bread

That's it. I can't go any longer. I know I have a million and one things to do and not enough time but I need to write a blog post. There are only so many times I can turn the conversation in the lab to cake but here on my blog I can talk about cake all day. Specifically this cake.
Wholemeal (Whole wheat) Chocolate Chunk Roasted Banana Bread
I've never roasted a banana before baking this cake but now, now I may never go back to standard bananas over-ripened by time. I had been umming and ahhing over which cake I wanted to bake, flitting from one idea to the next, when Sally from Sally's Baking Addication posted this banana bread recipe. That was it. Decision made. Except of course I had to do my usual meddling and use what I had in the cupboards. And my bananas were still yellow. So I decided to roast the living day lights out of them.
Wholemeal (Whole wheat) Chocolate Chunk Roasted Banana Bread
What a good decision that was. Squidgy and moist but not heavy in the least, this loaf cake (or quick bread, your choice) had a satisfying nutty background edge provided by the wholemeal flour I used, sweetened merrily by the slight caramelisation of the banana pulp induced by the roasting action of the oven. The creamy cocoa hit from the milk chocolate chunks dispersed throughout were a pleasant complement in each bit, providing a touch of naughty luxury in a cake which you can feel good about eating because of both the wonderful taste and the nutritional goodness for the whole grains and fruit therein.
Wholemeal (Whole wheat) Chocolate Chunk Roasted Banana Bread
You could of course use whatever chocolate you like. Dark or white would be just as good and I reckon the deep cocoa hit of 70% bit chocolate would be a pretty good contrast to the sweet crumb too. The use of wholemeal flour is of course optional too but it works so incredibly well that I highly recommend using it in banana bread - I certainly will be again. Although of course I now want to try variations on this cake I'll be sticking to using wholemeal flour because the taste and texture was so good. Plus I got to see for myself just how good melting chocolate into hot, roasted banana was. Try it yourself. Hearsay isn't the same.

Wholemeal Chocolate Chunk Roasted Banana Bread
Cuts into about 10 slices
Roast bananas to bring out a wonderful caramelised sweetness then combine with the earthy nuttiness of wholemeal flour and sweet creamy chocolate chunks.










Ingredients
  • 90ml oil
  • 70g honey
  • 50g brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 60ml milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 medium, roasted bananas*
  • 215g wholemeal flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.5tsp cinnamon
  • 100g milk chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2lb loaf tin.
2. Whisk together the oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, milk and eggs. Mash the roasted banana pulp (snip off one end and squeeze the pulp out into a bowl is easiest) until smooth then mix into the wet ingredients.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into the wet ingredients and stir in until almost combined. Add the chocolate and stir again until just combined - don't overmix or the cake will be heavy.
4. Bake for 50-60 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean - oven times can vary widely depending on your own oven. When baked, cool on a wire rack. Drizzle over more chocolate if you wish.

*To roast bananas - set the oven to about 180C and put the bananas in the oven sat on a bbaking sheet. Let them cook, turning over every 10 mins or so (only if you remember) until the skins are completely black. Remove from the oven and let cool until cool enough to handle.

I'm sharing this banana bread with Bookmarked Recipes run by Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes because I wanted to make it as soon as I saw Sally's version. I also think it is suitable for this months Love Cake run by Ness at JibberJabberUK. The theme is For the Love of Cake - I LOVE cake and I love banana bread and the many, many variations that can be made. Lastly, CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes. I don't get to enter much now that I've had to cut back on blogging to finish my final year but this week I can. 


28 comments:

  1. Roasting bananas - great idea! Wholemeal flour sounds well worth a try too. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'd say go for it if you haven't trued wholemeal flour in baking before - it's lovely.

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious. I love the flavour roasted bananas add to cake. You can't beat choc chips either. I love how you've used wholemeal flour, makes it worthy of being breakfast fodder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes you have to bake if only to clear the headspace used up by thoughts of "I need to bake something!". This looks utterly delicious – have never roasted a banana before but tempted to now! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it Lucy - it's soooo worth it!

      Delete
  4. I would have never have thought of roasting bananas. I can see how the wholemeal flour would work perfectly with it. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roasting bananas is such a great idea, I need to try that! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love banana cake however it comes...... with chocolate chips it gets phenomenally better........ and with roasted bananas it sounds perfection! A kitchen isn't far off a lab anyway! And food (particularly cake) has to be good for helping you think.... right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I say!! So I'm helping them really haha

      Delete
  7. Mmmm this sounds good. Banana and chocolate is always a glorious combination. I discovered roasted bananas last year and love that I can now make banana bread whenever I want. No more waiting for bananas to brown, woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it tastes so much better this way!

      Delete
  8. Love banana and chocolate. Such a great combination and how good is it roasting the bananas first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best way. I really do think I'll stivk to roasting the bananas first in my banana breads in future.

      Delete
  9. Quite unique - roasting bananas, and I like it!!
    I'd loooooove a slice of this wonderful cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm honest I've been fancying this again all last week!

      Delete
  10. Looks so wonderfully moist and wholesome, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can't go wrong with banana bread, this sounds great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so in love with your version of banana bread. It would be a great base for my Chia Crusted Banana Bread French Toast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooo! That sounds amazing. It just goes to show how versatile banana bread is =)

      Delete
  13. Banana bread with chocolate? Oh yes please! Thanks for entering it into Bookmarked Recipes, the roundup is now live

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!