Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Jaffa Loaf Cake

So what do you enjoy with your film when you go to the cinema? Popcorn? Nachos> Pic & mix? Cake? Oh, so that's just my group of friends then. Ok, but just so you know cake = the best cinema treat EVER!
Jaffa Loaf Cake - soft vanilla sponge with Seville marmalade and dark chocolate
It's actually the second time I've taken cake to the cinema for myself and my friends to enjoy - complete with paper plates and forks I might add! The first time was a chocolate Coca Cola cake with milk ganache icing (recipe coming at some point, promise) and when we were planning the second time, one friend apparently said to the other, 'I wonder if Laura is bringing cake' and the response was  'she had better'. Thankfully this cake was rather more than satisfactory.
Jaffa Loaf Cake - soft vanilla sponge with Seville marmalade and dark chocolate
Soft, springy and light, the moist vanilla sponge made quick and easy by the all in one method, hides beneath a layer of Seville orange marmalade. Slather this on when the cake is fresh out of the oven and the bittersweet fragrant flavour seeps down into the cake to boost the moisture levels held therein. Let the cake cool and then smoother the marmalade with a dark chocolate topping. Let it set before you get your reward and cut slice after slice, breaking the chocolate shell so the sweet orange preserve oozes out in a sticky layer, melding with the dark chocolate.
Jaffa Loaf Cake - soft vanilla sponge with Seville marmalade and dark chocolate
This version is far better than the little cake discs you buy from the shops. When I wanted the same flavours of this classic treat from McVities, only better and in a bigger portion, I went hunting. Inspired by this cake from Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes, I made my changes and was mighty pleased with the result. So were my friends. They have eaten a lot of my cakes but when a particular cake is mentioned for days afterwards, you know it was a success.

Jaffa Loaf Cake
Cuts into about 10 slices
An all in one soft vanilla sponge topped with lovely marmalade and a thick layer of dark chocolate.










Ingredients
  • 100g margarine, softened
  • 170g plain flour
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 2tsp baking powder
  • 75ml milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • A generous scoop of marmalade, sieved to remove any peel
  • 100g dark chocolate, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp milk
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.
2. Place the margarine, flour, baking powder, sugar, milk, eggs and vanilla into a large bowl and mix together until just combined. 
3. Pour into the loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven fpr 40-50 mins until a cake tetster inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Set on a wire rack.
4. Warm the marmalade and pour onto the top of the cake, spreading it out evenly while the cake is still warm.
5. Let the cake cool compltely then melt the chocolate and milk together in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir frequently until melted and smooth.
6. Let the chocolate cool so it thickens but is still molten, then pour over the top of the cake and spread out evenly. When the chocolate has set enough, remove the cake from the tin and cut into slices to serve.
 

I'm sending this off to CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes, squeezing in before the deadline. 

19 comments:

  1. This is a stunner, I love how you can see the marmalade seeping into the top of the cake.... mmmmmm. Far superior cinema snack to a bag of maltesers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you. I still think Maltesers have their merits but I urge you to try cake at the cinema - much more fun!

      Delete
  2. I could be trying this today! Reminds me a little of a Tunis Cake I tried out in January. On my blog if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tunis cakes are lovely aren't they?! I made Tunis cupcakes a few months ago and loved them.

      Delete
  3. HELP! Just started to bake this! How much sugar??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argo so sorry, 160g caster sugar. I'll fix when I'm back on my computer.

      Delete
  4. Thanks. I have put in 100g so we will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will probably be enough as there will be sweetness from the marmalade and chocolate too =)

      Delete
    2. It tastes great! Thank you!

      Delete
    3. So pleased you've enjoyed it! And thank you for making my recipe and telling me about it =)

      Delete
  5. Jaffa cake is such a good flavour combo..... I can see why this is so yummy! Love the idea of taking cake to the cinema..... We often go with a full packed lunch!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I like that idea too. Sort of like a picnic in the dark. I'm going to tell my friends that one =D

      Delete
  6. Love this and love cake at the cinema idea! I really want to veganize this cake... looks so so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go fo it, I know you'll do it justice!

      Delete
  7. Oh my, how I would love a slice of this right now, it looks utterly delicious! This has been the most viewed link on Sweet and Savoury Sundays. Stop by, grab a button and link up with us again. Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow that's brilliant, thank you very much!

      Delete
  8. Love the idea of cake in the cinema, complete with plates and forks too! Very civilised! And a much more considerate snack - no rustling of sweet bags or crunching of nachos! Reckon you might be on to a profitable idea there actually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it certainly is very fun! I think by now when we suggest a cinema trip we look forward to the cake as much as the film :)

      Delete
  9. Do you drink Pepsi or Coca-Cola?
    ANSWER THE POLL and you could get a prepaid VISA gift card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!