Thursday, 1 January 2015

Recipe Round Up - Favourites of 2014

Happy New Year to you all! I wasn't going to write this post, simply because recent events just before Christmas have put a downer on everything but having read so many 2014 review posts from other blogs, and having enjoyed all of them, I realised that many other people might enjoy them as much as me. And so another round up would only be beneficial to them surely?! I thought so. It has also been my first January to December full year of blogging too so it seems only fitting. 

I've learned so much this year, about baking, photography and blogging. Yes, it has been hard work but I've loved it. So without further waffle, here are the top ten most viewed recipes on I'd Much Rather Bake Than... from 2014. Did any of your favourites make the list?

10. Tunis Cupcakes - Not many people have heard of a Tunis Cake but more of you have now thanks to the mini version that these cupcakes present. I'm extra pleased they made the top ten because they were something I've wanted to bake for a very long time and I publised the recipe less than two months ago.
Tunis Cupcakes

9. Overloaded Chocolate Party Brownies - These brownies proved that chocolate upon chocolate upon chocolate is always a good thing. They were devoured very quickly when I took them into uni and loats of you said how wickedly indulgent they looked. Oh they are!
Overloaded Chocolate Party Brownies

8. Sprinkle Dipped Viennese Fingers - Proving that a revamped classic appeals to many, these biscuits keep the original buttery flavour and melting texture but inject a sense of fun into your tea time treat.
Sprinkle Dipped Viennese Fingers

7. Speculaas Spiced Shortbread - I made these to show off the speculaas spice mix which I finally got my hands on. Shortbread is the perfect partner for so many flavours as it tastes wonderful while letting the flavourings take the limelight.
Speculaas Spiced Shortbread

6. Suet Free Whisky Christmas Mincemeat - I frequently talk about how I don't like the taste of alcohol but love it in baking and this is another way I got creative with whisky this year. It's also the first mincemeat I enjoyed when I discovered how nice it is without suet in.
Suet Free Whisky Mincemeat for Christmas

5. Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Traybake - I'm pleased a gluten free recipe made the top ten. I made this for my coeliac housemate as her favourite cake is lemon drizzle and I've been thinking about it ever since.
Gluten Free Lemon Drizzle Traybake

4. Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Courgette Brownies - these really were a treat and a half. Ultra decadent in both taste and gooey texture, it is hard to believe they are actually a lightened up version of a brownie and an ideal way to help use up a courgette glut.
Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Courgette Brownies

3. Chocolate Chilli Loaf Cake - A flavour combination that some people love and some people hate but a recipe which produces a velvety soft treat and an economical one at that - the whole cake cost less than £1 to make.
Economical Chocolate Chilli Loaf Cake

2. My Favourite Madeira Cake - I have been on a search for what I consider to be my favourite Madeira cake recipe and I finally found it. Lots of you thought so too and agree with me when I say that sometimes a simple classic is the best sort of cake.
My Favourite Madeira Cake Bundt

1. Double Chocolate Chunk Courgette Loaf Cake - This is the first thing I made with courgettes and it was an amazing success taste wise. Ultra chocolatey and incredibly moist, it was a dream to make too. Clearly you thought the same because it was my most viewed recipe of the year!
Double Chocolate ChunkCourgette Loaf Cake

A pretty fine list I think. I love each and every one of those recipes in their own way and I couldn't pick a favourite from amongst them. Who knows what 2015 will bring what with me finishing my masters degree and everything alse that is going on but one thing is for certain - there will be plenty of chocolate and sugar involved!

12 comments:

  1. I love that chocolate drizzle on the party brownies and remember loving the sprinkle crusted viennese fingers the first time round. An excellent round up. Sorry to hear you're going through a rough patch at the moment. All the best for 2015 and finishing your degree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to think, I nearly left over that extra bit of chocolate from the brownies. I remember asking my fired whether she thought I should add it and I received such a disgusted look as to why I was even asking!

      Delete
  2. A delicious round-up Laura. Sorry for your troubles at the moment and I hope 2015 is kind to you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart =) it was really nice to write this round up and revisit some of my recipes.

      Delete
  3. O Geez! I love your round up! Everything looks so amazing. :) Stopping by from Pretty Pintastic Party! Pinned and tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a delicious round up of recipes you have here! I love all of them! Pinned!
    Julie @ Sweet and Spicy Monkey

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the me, the Whisky mincemeat was the best, the few jars I gave a presents went down a storm, so this is now our family favourite.
    Sorry to hear you are having a tough time, Blessings and best wishes for 2015.
    Luv
    Maura Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased the mincemeat turned out well and the recipients enjoyed them! It's always so nice to hear when things have been enjoyed. Thank you for making my recipe!!!

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Laura, lots of lovely recipes from last year. Good luck with the rest of your Masters degree, I know how much hard work it is (yet I still carried onto PhD level, I'm daft) and how hard it is to step back from the blog when you have so many ideas to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whappy new year to you too! And thank you =) I can't quite keep away entirely as you can see and I'm as still addicted as ever to reading blogs. Good luck with your viva and I'll be keeping an eye out for the day you announce you have passed!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!