Monday, 15 December 2014

Gingerbread Biscotti

Hello again! See, I haven't abandoned you forever. My final year of a MChem degree was never going to keep me away entirely. For those of you who have only just met me, I explained why I would be absent a lot of the time from my beloved blog in this post here for Tunis Cupcakes. I'm back for a bit though to squeeze in this post for Gingerbread Biscotti because I've looked forward to joining in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2014 since I found out about it last year.
Gingerbread Biscotti - full of lovely warming spices. A crunchy texture perfect for dunking.
Have you heard of the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap? It's a really fun way to raise money for charity while simultaneously getting to discover new blogs and receiving surprises parcels in the post. You are assigned three blogs to send a batch of twelve cookies (biscuits to me) to and in return you receive three lots of mystery cookies yourself. The blogs assigned to me were Victoria Sponge Pease Pudding (I have my eye on that recipe for Maple and Candied Walnut Chocolate Celebration Cake), What Sass Says (lots of brilliant advice to be had there) and Digital Diva (the best mixture of recipes, reviews and all aspects of life). I really hope they liked their gingerbread biscotti. In return I received my one of my favourite combinations of chocolate and hazelnut cookies from Foodie Laura, Chocolate Dipped Earl Grey biscuits from The Vanilla Bean and Cranberry, Ginger and White Chocolate Cookies from Annie's Noms. I was spoilt. Don't ask me to pick a favourite. All I will say is that they disappeared helped with my revision.
Gingerbread Biscotti - full of lovely warming spices. A crunchy texture perfect for dunking.
Like I mentioned, I first cake across the Cookie Swap last year and I've been waiting since then to join in. What a fantastic way to meet new bloggers and get parcels of freshly baked goodies in the post. I had to pick my parcels up from the Post Office because I missed the postie man and it was all I could do to wait until I walked back to my house before ripping open the packaging. I'm sure I've mentioned before that I have no self control. It took me a while to decide what to bake for my contribution because I had so many ideas floating around my head. Then I remembered the breakthrough biscotti I had made, the ones that meant I had recently cracked biscotti making and I simply had to make my gingerbread version again. 
Gingerbread Biscotti - full of lovely warming spices. A crunchy texture perfect for dunking.
Previous to this I've had the same problem over and again with biscotti. I simply couldn't get them to go crunchy after their second bake. Now I've got a base recipe which work for me though so I'll be away with all my ideas. I would quite happily much these all year round but let me state right now that if you are looking for a truly seasonal biscuit then this recipe will deliver. Dunk them in tea, hot chocolate (yes!!!!) or coffee, pretty much any steaming hot drink you can think of and you will sink into a state of welcome bliss. Pre-dunking each bit brings a satisfying crunch reminiscent of amplified boots walking on fresh crisp snow. After dunking they biscuit hold itself together long enough to reach your taste buds where it will dissolve and release its warming, quilted sensation to wrap you up against the winter chill. Not a fan of ginger but love spices? That's ok, simply replace with your favourite spice or even some Speculaas spice mix. I've already proven how wonderful Speculaas shortbread is.
Gingerbread Biscotti - full of lovely warming spices. A crunchy texture perfect for dunking.
If you are a blogger then I encourage you to join in the Cookie Swap next year. If not, then I still encourage you to look over all the other entries and get yourself into a baking frenzy. You might wear yourself out making so many delicious biscuits and cookies but you will have to best of rewards at the end of it. Let me know which flavours of biscotti I should make next then go pop the kettle on.

Gingerbread Biscotti
Makes 24-28 biscuit
Crunchy, spicy, warming biscotti. Dunk them in your favourite hot drink for an extra special treat.











Ingredients
  • 280g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.75 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.25 tsp ground cloves
  • 0.25 tsp nutmeg
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 2 eggs
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp black treacle or molasses
  • 55g butter, melted
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan.  
2. Sift together, the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices. In a jug, mix together the remaining ingredients then mix into the dry ingredients.  
3. Knead together until evenly mixed then lay a piece of baking paper onto the kitchen surface. For the dough into two logs, roughly 30cm x 13 cm, on the paper.
4. Slide a baking tray under the baking paper and bake in the preheated oven for 25 mins (pat back into shape part way through if they spread too much for your liking) then remove from the oven and lower the temperature t 150 C/130 C fan. While the oven cools, slice each log into 12-14 pieces and lay them cut side down on the baking tray.
5. Return to the oven for 25-30 mins ( less/more depending on your oen), turning the biscuits over every ten minutes or so. They will firm up but remain slightly soft. Remove from the oven and trasnfer the biscotti to a wire rack to cool wherre they will ery quickly firm up to the desired crunchy state.

13 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Didn't expect to hear from you so soon so this is a nice surprise. I joined in the cookie swap a few years ago and it was really good fun! I will have to consider it for next year. Your gingerbread biscotti looks lovely and I'm sure the recipients were very happy. Have a great Christmas and good luck with your final year. I have no doubt the cookies/biscuits helped with revision :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be back even though it is only very briefly. It's torture really because I've got so many ideas!!! Your best wishes mean so much though =)

      Delete
  2. Good to hear from you Laura. And Happy Christmas! The biscotti look perfectly crunchy and very gingery. I always find it helps to slow-bake the second bake for a longer period to get a good crunch.... but this may just be because the gluten free mix needs something different?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right - I daren't mess with my base recipe now I've found one that works though! Next mission is to get my mum to like biscotti. I'm not allowed to make them at home because she says they are too hard.

      Delete
  3. These biscotti look so good Laura. Love the idea of getting parcels of scrumptious biscuits in the post. Hope you've been having a great Christmas and good luck with your final year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette! I think I'd like to try them dipped in chocolate next!

      Delete
  4. Looks perfect Laura and great for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These biscotti sound wonderful! I collect biscotti recipes so this is perfect since I just love gingerbread and I didn't make my gingerbread cookies this Christmas. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I do hope you like them if you get to try the recipe. Let me know if you do!

      Delete
  6. Quantum Binary Signals

    Get professional trading signals delivered to your mobile phone daily.

    Follow our trades NOW & gain up to 270% daily.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!