Wednesday, 5 November 2014

Pecan, Pear and Mincemeat Galette

In my last post I promised to start on the Christmas recipes soon and for once I have! I might not do too good at posting things specifically for Easter or Halloween or other holidays but there really is something special about Christmas baking don't you think? And hey, I did make a very successful speculoos iced spider web cake after all.
Pecan, Pear and Mincemeat Galette - the ideal alternative to mince pies this year. A very boozy Christmas recipe.
I'm feeling inexplicably Christmassy this year. I shouldn't be. I should be feeling ohmygodfinalyearexamstestsdeadlinesIcan'tdoit! But I'm not. Yet. So I'm enjoying the feeling while it lasts and making a start on all the Christmas recipe ideas I have, several of which feature this mincemeat. I probably should have let it mature for slightly longer but I really couldn't resist.
Pecan, Pear and Mincemeat Galette - the ideal alternative to mince pies this year. A very boozy Christmas recipe.
This bake was inspired by my recent trip to London for the BBC Good Food Bakes & Cakes show (loved it!) where I bought an awful lot of cupcake cases. I also got a BBC goody bag and one of the magazines told me that galettes would be the next big baking trend. Now I'm not one to follow trends deliberately but galettes really appeal to me because  I love making pastry but I'm pretty lazy so the fact that I can just fold up the edges around my choice of filling and be done with it. I knew I didn't want to make standard classic mince pies but couldn't decide on an alternative. Then I saw a bashed pear in my fruit bowl and thought why not? And so this fruity boozy Christmas galette was born.
Pecan, Pear and Mincemeat Galette - the ideal alternative to mince pies this year. A very boozy Christmas recipe.
A buttery crumbly shortcrust pastry, enriched with a sprinkling of demerara sugar and a dash of whisky, generously wraps itself around the filling, folding itself to fit like a blanket. A thick layer of drunken Christmas mincemeat resides within, waiting to pounce with its fiery demeanour beneath chunks of soft yielding pear, oozing their own fruity sauce. The sweet, slightly creamy, pecans provide the toasty crunchy that finishes off the volcano like setting that is a rough hewn, homely galette.
Pecan, Pear and Mincemeat Galette - the ideal alternative to mince pies this year. A very boozy Christmas recipe.
This recipe will satisfy the make and the eater just as much as a pie would. I'd go as far to say even more so because you get the results to enjoy quicker. Serve hot with a pool of vanilla custard or a snowy ice cream ball, or serve cold with a cup of tea to finish of a meal. I'll even make a guess that a curl of maple syrup sweetened mascarpone cheese would be a delightful accompaniment. Any more serving suggestions let me know. For now I'll get to work on crossing more Christmas recipes off my list.



print recipe

Pecan,  Pear and Mincemeat Galette

Cuts into approximately 6 slices
Buttery cinnamon scented pastry filled with a layer of luxury suet free mincemeat and juicy pears, topped off with crunchy pecans bursting out of the centre.









Ingredients
  • 150g plain flour
  • 75g butter, chilled and cubed
  • 0.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp demerara sugar
  • 1 large egg, mixed
  • Splash of whisky
  • Approx 150g quality mincemeat e.g. Suet Free Whisky Mincemeat
  • 1 large pear, peeled, cored and sliced
  • 2 tsp cornflour
  • Handful of pecans
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C fan and place a baking tray inside.  

2. Sift together the flour, cinnamon and sugar then rub in the butter until in looks like breadcrumbs. Reserve a little of the egg and use the rest, and a splash of whisky if necessary, to bind the pastry together into a soft but not sticky ball. 

3. Lay a sheet of baking paper on the work surface and dust with a little flour. Roll out the pastry into a rough circle a few mm thick and trim to neaten the edges if you wish. 

4. Spread the mincemeat into the entre of the circle leaving 1.5-2" around the edges. Toss the pear slices inthe cornflour and lay on top. Fold up the sides of the pastry aver the filling - it shouldn't come all the way into the centre. Sprinkle the pecans over the filling which is showing and brush te whole lot with the remaining egg, making sure it doesn't drip down the sides. 

5. Lift the baking paper onto the hot baking sheet and cook in the preheated oven for 30-35 mins until golden. Cool on a wire rack.


I'm sending this galette off to Lucy's CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes - have a look, there will probably be other Christmassy recipes shared there too. As well as being festive, this galette is just about suitable for the Bonfire Night themed Tea Time Treats, this month hosted by Janie from The Hedgecombers, alternatively with Karen from Lavender and Lovage. My reasoning is that the whisky it contains is very warming, perfect for a chilly night. For the same reason I hope that Janine from Cake of the Week will accept it for her Baking with Spirit.

18 comments:

  1. Great to know galettes are the next big thing. This looks delicious Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog and I stand by and I invite you to mine, greetings.
    http://carew82000.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I shall enjoy looking through your blog later when I have finished work =)

      Delete
  3. Yum! Great use for the Xmas mincemeat! I've been playing with mincemeat too....... Will share soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, this would be perfect in the run up to Christmas. Great for BWS, thanks for entering!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd be perfectly content to accept the next big trend in food if that's the case! I love how simple yet complex this looks! Good luck on that final year! You CAN do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine! Maybe we can get a head start on this tend just in case?!

      Delete
  6. I should not be reading this recipe hungry because I now desperately want a slice! I think we are all in an early Christmas mood - maybe we are just desperately for the excuse to eat rich food without inhibitions? Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare (ps: I have never made a galette. I am hanging my head in shame...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should make a galette! I know you would make it gorgeous to eat and beautiful to look at =) and I think you may be right. The nearest I can get to that excuse at the moment is comfort food eating to deal with final year stresses. But Christmas food and baking is something else on the enjoyment scale altogether.

      Delete
  7. This is a great way to use mincemeat other than mince pie, the topping of pecans. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks amazing! Haven't made a galette before, will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you do get to give a galette a try - they are so much fun and so easy to make. Nobody cares if they aren't perfect because they will still be perfect tasting.

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic mix of flavours - am pinning this one for prosperity :)
    Thanks so much for sharing with Tea Time Treats :)
    Janie x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!