Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Orange Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins

Being completely incapable of sticking to a recipe I couldn't just make gingerbread muffins. Instead my mind wandered to what sweeties I had still in my chocolate stash. Amonst the various types of mini eggs (Daim, Cadbury, Milky Bar...) I remembered I had some Terrys chocolate oranges hiding away. I recently made some blondies with the popping candy one so that was out and the dark is earmarked for something coming soon so that left the standard milk chocolate orange. Would the orange flavour match the gingerbread spices? Um, do I like chocolate?
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins made with Terrys chocolate orange. Christmas in a muffin.
Inspired by the wonderful Nigella Lawson and her book Feast (a charity shop treasure) and using my favourite muffin base from Sally's Baking Addiction I whipped these up in no time one Sunday evening after a really rubbish weekend. It was one of those times when only baking woould help me relax before tackling the next day. I don't know how I managed to not eat one fresh for my supper but somehow I did. The mixture wasn't so lucky - but that is how I know it was super delicious.
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins made with Terrys chocolate orange. Christmas in a muffin.
Baking these gingerbread muffins helped me to solve one problem but then presented me with another. I needed to get rid of them fast. If I didn't, I knew I owuld eat three in one day then three the next just to use them up. This is glory to my tastebuds but not so much to my clothes. There wasn't enought to take in for the office for everyone to try them but thankfully a couple of my friends came to the rescue. I even apologised to one of them for feeding her family sugar and promised not to off load my baking onto her again. I shouldn't have said that. Promises are actually pretty important to me. 
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins made with Terrys chocolate orange. Christmas in a muffin.
 Of course orange chocolate went well with the gingerbread spices. Blissfully so. Eat bite of super soft muffin was tender and moist, the orange oils from the Terrys swirling round releasing flavour to encompass the warmth of the classic spice mix that everyone loves in gingerbread. The sweet chocolate tempers the spiciness letting the ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and a touch of molasses do what they are good at. Wrap yourself in a quilt and you'll get the same effect surrounding your whole body but with these gingerbread muffins you'll get it bit after bite. A hug in cake form. 
Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins made with Terrys chocolate orange. Christmas in a muffin.
A few hours after dropping these off I received a text from one of the friends who helped remove these from my path. They taste like Christmas she said. Coud you ask for any more of a recommendation? I started grinning like a Cheshire cat. This base muffin recipe has always done my proud whether they are holding iced coffee, bonfire toffee and apple or even savoury flavours. There are many more to come, I just know it. For now, I hope you enjoy these Christmas muffins.


 Orange Chocolate Chip Gingerbread Muffins


Makes 6 muffins
A soft, tender muffin hiding chunks of Terrys milk chocolate orange to complement the classic gingerbread spices assocaited with autumn, fall and Christmas.








Ingredients
  • 190g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tbsp ground ginger
  • 0.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5tsp nutmeg
  • 0.5 tsp mixed spice 
  • 75g Terrys chocolate orange, chopped
  • 1 large egg
  • 40g granulated sugar
  • 40g dark soft brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp black treacle or molasses
  • 2 tbsp golden syrup
  • 60ml sunflower or olive oil
  • 120ml buttermilk (or milk + 1tsp vinegar)
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a muffin tray with 6 paper muffin cases.  
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and spice in a bowl. Toss in the chopped chocolate. In another bowl, whisk together the egg, sugars, treacle, golden syrup, oil and buttermilk. 
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and gently stir together until only just mixed. Lumpy batter is fine. Divide between the muffin cases. 
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 minutes then without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for another 15 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. 
5. Cool on a wire rack (five mins in the tin, then until cold out of the tin) and decorate with extra chocolate if you wish.

P.S. If you like gingerbread, you might also like these speculaas shortbread biscuits or this treacle cake with speculaas icing.

I'm sharing these muffins with CookBlogShare run by Lucy from Supergolden Bakes. Also, I hope I can squeeze them into the In With A Bang themed Love Cake run by Ness from JibberJabber UK because the gingerbread spices give a lovely kick.

16 comments:

  1. I am stuggling to comprehend how you still have Easter chocolate, and enough to make a store?? I have to give the stuff away so I don't eat it all myself! These sound very tasty; I bet the flavours work well together. You're very good at writing decriptions of your baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! To be honest, I struggle to comprehend it myself and so do all my friends. I really do go mad on sale chocolate because I always think I'll bake with it but it ends up that very little goes into my baking!

      Delete
  2. Love the rounded top of the muffins..... they look amazingly light and I can totally see why they would taste like Christmas! You might want to check the header for the recipe..... should it read 'Bonfire Toffee Apple Muffins'?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, thanks for spotting that! That's my copying and pasting gone astray.

      Delete
  3. Oh Laura, pass me one over - such a perfect combination for this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure I have a bag of terry's chocolate orange somewhere - I'm a bit of a hoarder and I still have some mini eggs from Easter!! This looks and sounds really festive and I love the food styling. I'm not a fan of ginger but I'd happily try one of these - they do sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ros! Hoarding does have it's benefits doesn't it? We can bake and enjoy the seasonal treats that bit longer.

      Delete
  5. Oh my word - these muffins sound absolutely delicious and they're definitely happening this December! I've never tried the chocolate, orange and gingerbread combo before - can't wait to see how it tastes. Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do hope you like them and I'd love to hear of the results.

      Delete
  6. Mmmm gingerbread! I am all for gingerbread at the moment... and your muffins look deeelicious. I have the same problem offloading baked goods but now have a captive and appreciative audience in my builders! Still, I manage to eat a LOOOOT
    Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I hadn't thought of that - giving baked goods to workmen. When we finally get someone in the fix the horrible damp in my uni house then maybe I'll leave something out for them to spur them along. As long as your builders aren't deliberately going slowly so they can hang around longer for more lovely goodies! And like you, I always manage to get a rather large share to eat myself =S

      Delete
  7. I love the flavor combination! They look delicious and your pictures are so fun too! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How utterly divine! I do believe I was licking my lips whilst reading through this post! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad you like them and that they're acceptable for Love Cake.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!