Monday, 3 November 2014

Cinnamon Apple Sauce Loaf Cake

I promise you this is my last autumn (or fall if you prefer) apple post before I get going with the Christmas recipes. I've got SUCH Christmas recipe plans and I'm hoping beyond hope that I get to make them all but then uni and final year and all that stuff might get in the way. Fingers crossed though!
Super easy Apple Sauce Loaf Cake Bread made with lots of cinnamon. A cake with a little less sugar and fat.
That promise doesn't hold by the way if I decide to make the apple and carrot cake I've had in my head for the past week. I know there are a million and one carrot cake recipes out there, like the is brownies and banana bread recipes but I've really been fancying making it. Or a chocolate cake. I've been feeling like stubbornly making a chocolate cake this past couple of days too. I'm sure the people in the office at uni won't mind if I make too much cake for me to eat myself.
Super easy Apple Sauce Loaf Cake Bread made with lots of cinnamon. A cake with a little less sugar and fat.
Despite the fact that I actually made this cake in July, it is actually a wonderfully seasonal autumn or fall recipe. A real classic full of wonderful apple flavour and pure simplicity. When I spotted the recipe on Averie Cooks I knew it was the recipe to use up the apple sauce I'd had in the freezer since September last year after making it to go in these gluten free mousse brownies recipe that I made for my coeliac housemate. I'd been looking for just the right one and this was it. Thank you Averie - I almost stuck to your recipe. Almost.
Super easy Apple Sauce Loaf Cake Bread made with lots of cinnamon. A cake with a little less sugar and fat.
Apple sauce makes such delicious cakes. They add a level of moisture hard to achieve in a normal butter cake recipe, the crumb so light and tender it willingly gives this up at the slightest bite, driving the human senses into the sublime. The delicate apple flavour is infused throughout each slice, heightened by its classic cinnamon partner. The whole combination is perfect with a reviving cup of tea in the afternoon or as a finisher to a comforting evening meal. 
Super easy Apple Sauce Loaf Cake Bread made with lots of cinnamon. A cake with a little less sugar and fat.
The level of satisfaction that comes from enjoying this cake is incredible. Not only is it a festival to to autumn harvest of apples, the use of apple sauce reduces the fat content of the cake and cuts out a little of the added sugar too.  This loaf cake, or apple bread if you prefer, is such an easy recipe to prepare, you can be slicing it up and sharing it round in no time. A quick mix and into the oven with it. And if there are leftovers, and if your work friends are anything like mine, they will greatly appreciate the results.


print recipe

Cinnamon Apple Sauce Loaf Cake
Soft and tender, this quick bread loaf cake recipe is packed with apple sauce and cinnamon for the perfect autumn or fall treat.
Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 250g apple sauce
  • 80g granulated sugar
  • 120 ml oil, sunflower or olive
  • 75g soft dark brown sugar
  • 60 ml plain yoghurt
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 heaped tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 225g plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.2. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, apple sauce, sugars, oil, yoghurt and vanilla. In a separate bowl, sieve together the spices, flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder.3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and dtir together until just combined. Pour into the loaf tin and level off.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.

I'm sending this off to Bake of the Week run by Helen at Casa Costello and hoping that people aren't fed up of apple recipes yet. I'm also going to sneak it into Lucy's CookBlogShare at Supergolden Bakes in the last few hours I have left to do so. I'd had this recipe pinned from Averie Cooks for several months before I got to make it so I'm sending it off to Bookmarked Recipes too which is being hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours this month on behalf of Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes.

17 comments:

  1. I'm definitely using more and more pulped, pureed and grated veg and fruit in my baking these days. It does wonders for making sponge moist, especially in gluten free baking (and I can sneak the good stuff past my daughter without her realising at all!) This cake looks delicious and full of perfect autumn flavours..... Can't get enough of cinnamon and ginger right now either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonder isn't it how often you can hand a child (or even an adult in my experience!) a piece of cake with fruit or veg in it without telling them and they'll love it. Then when you tell them what it was suddenly 'errrr, I don't like that!' I look forward to see the results of your cinnamon and ginger pairings =)

      Delete
  2. God I love apple cakes so much. And cinnamon! I originally wanted to name my blog Cinnamon Sugar but name was taken (along with every other cinnamon related blog name). This looks absolutely delicious. I would love it for breakfast spread with cinnamon butter. On my to-bake list for sure. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Lucy! I hope you get to make it soon =) it's such a pleasure to bake.

      Delete
  3. Ooh this looks good - Just perfect texture for loaf cake too. Never apologise for posting autumn recipes - So much possibility at this time of year. Looking forward to the Christmas creations too though! Thanks again for joining in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. To be honest, I quite fancy a piece right now with my morning tea. It's a shame it is long gone!

      Delete
  4. Cinnamon and apple are a match made in heaven, this cake sounds delicious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That cake looks super moist and a bit sticky too - love apple cakes and anything with cinnamon in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hove got it spot on Choclette, and yet it wasn't dense at all.

      Delete
  6. The cake looks gorgeously moist, haven't thought about using apple sauce in baking before, it's a great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used it a few times now and the bakes have turned out well each time. I really like using it.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmmmmmmmmthat looks yummy and sounds tasty. I will have to give this recipe a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good news, let me know what you think if you do!

      Delete
  8. FreedomPop is the #1 100% FREE mobile phone provider.

    With voice, text and data plans always start at £0.00/month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!