Friday, 14 November 2014

Chilli Mayonnaise Brownies

At one point or another most bakers will set out on a search for their perfect recipe for certain groups of bakes. I know I certainly have through my endless experiments. I've found a fair few of my favourites already too. There is the muffin recipe which I based these and these on. My favourite chocolate cake recipe is so versatile like this traybake and this bundt cake shows. I even have a favourite Madeira cake recipe for a plain but still richly flavoured cake while my base brownie recipe will be gloriously decadent whatever I do to it. It is my favourite brownie recipe which I am most proud of. Made out of an act of defiance when I didn't want to follow the recipe, it was perfect first time and has been ever since, however I choose to adapt it.
Chilli Brownies. The secret ingredient is mayonnaise to make these brownies a healthier alternative!
But I still want to compare other methods to my favourites just so that at the end I can have the satisfaction of having tried something new and wonderful and delicious before returning to my old faithfuls. You never know, I might find a new favourite. But I doubt it. My brownies RULE. 
Chilli Brownies. The secret ingredient is mayonnaise to make these brownies a healthier alternative!
If you have managed to read this far I thank you, for giving me a chance and not being put off by the title. Maybe I should call them secret ingredient brownies. I did after all refuse to tell people that there was mayonnaise in them until after they had eaten one and said 'ooo, that's good!'. I've heard of putting mayonnaise in brownies before to give the perfect texture and I must say, although I am still loyal to my ultimate brownies, these are a close second. Especially if there is some mayonnaise to use up. The chilli? Well, just because really. I wanted to. Nothing wrong with that.
Chilli Brownies. The secret ingredient is mayonnaise to make these brownies a healthier alternative!
The dark chocolate pulls you into a deep cocoa pool while the chilli kick wakes you up before you sink too far, leaving you wide awake and ready for a second helping. The texture is deliciously moist with that level of stickiness that makes you feel terribly, enjoyably naughty. Their density belies the floaty feeling of bliss you will experience upon sinking your teeth into the perfectly fudge-cake like squares each time. But they are not cakey. Oh no, not at all. Cakey brownies will never feature on this blog
Chilli Brownies. The secret ingredient is mayonnaise to make these brownies a healthier alternative!
Healthy alternatives to indulgent treats are so often a disappointment, people trying to convence themselves that there is no loss of flavour or satisfaction. These brownies do not let that happen. The mayonnaise replaces a lot of the fat and some of the eggs of a typical brownies so you can cut out a lot of the calories that way, if you are really interested. I even managed to convince a friend who is using a Slimfast liquid diet to try one after saying they have approximately less than 150 calories in each square. She had no regrets.

Chilli Mayonnaise Brownies


Makes 16 small brownies or 9 normal sized ones
Deliciously sticky and chewy, these dark chocolate brownies hide a bit of chilli kick and are made healthier by using mayonnaise to repllace some of the fat and eggs.









Ingredients
  • 85g 70% cocoa solids dark chocolate, chopped and melted, cooled slightly
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 50g dark soft brown sugar
  • 0.5 tsp instant coffee granules
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp buttermilk (or milk mixed with a sprinkling of vineger)
  • 1 egg
  • 100g light or extra light mayonnaise
  • 85g plain flour
  • 0.25 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 25g cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp chilli powder or chilli paste
  • 50g white chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/1600 C fan and line an 8" square tin with baking paper.  
2. Mix the sugars into the melted chocolate, followed by the coffee granules, vanilla, buttermilk and egg. Mix in the mayonnaise until well incorporated.
3.Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and chilli powder. Stir through the white chocolate then mix in the wet ingredients unitl only just combined.
4. Pour into the tin and level off. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out with a few gooey crumbs on it. 
5. Cool on a wire rack completely before removing from the tin.

These mayonnaise brownies were my random choice, using a random number generator to pick the page number from a magazine I recently bought so I'm sharing them with this months Random Recipes run by Dom from Belleau Kitchen. As luck would have it I've had the recipe bookmarked for ages when I printed it out from here so I'm sending it off to Bookmarked Recipes run by Helen at Fuss Free Flavours this month on behalf of Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes. I used Hellman's mayonnaise to make these so hopefully Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker, will allow them at a push into Alphabakes this month. Carline of Caroline Makes shares hosting duties. If like me, you open a jar of mayo and then it sit in the fridge for ages, you'll be looking for ways to use up leftover mayonnaise and these brownies are the perfect solution. That's why I'm sending them off to the No Waste Food Challenge, this month hosted by Manjirichitnis at Slice of Me for Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. They also couldnt be any more perfect for the chilli themed We Should Cocoa, this month hosted by Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen for Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog.

23 comments:

  1. Interesting! Love the combo of flavours...... love the idea of less calories........ And I can see why the mayo would work really well! Perhaps you can convince Slimfast to add it to the diet line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think my friend would love that!

      Delete
  2. WOW! Those look amazing Laura, so rich and moist and like Kate, I love the idea of fewer calories! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So pleased you like them =)

      Delete
  3. I've tried Hellman's mayo brownies before and they were delicious so I can just imagine how good these are especially with the addition of chili. Definitely acceptable for AlphaBakes - thanks for entering.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have heard of brownies with mayonnaise, but I've never tried making one. These look delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely try it, soooo worth it.

      Delete
  5. What a combination! I'm going to have to give these a go.
    Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do hope you get chance to and I'd love to hear of the results.

      Delete
  6. I have a friend who's mum always adds a dollop of mayo to all her chocolate cakes... it makes them moist and if you think about the ingredients of mayo it's only what you'd normally put into the cake (minus the vinegar ) anyway... these look absolutely gorgeous. Thank you so much for the delicious random recipe entry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That is a very good point, I hadn't thought of it like that before. I might try it myself in the future.

      Delete
  7. I honestly was not put off at the idea of mayo in cakes, after all people are putting yogurt of sorts to give it more moisture- so why not. Anyway, I love the sound of these, I have also made some Chocolate Chilli Brownies for WSC, but its just a simple recipe - not as curiously titled as yours :) Thank you so much for sharing Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha ll there are so many brownie recipes out these that I thought I'd go for an attention grabbing title. But your brownies still looked lovely! I'm looking forward to seeing what other uses people have made of the chocolate chilli pairing.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I had to call them Red Dragon Brownies for the attention, and it worked! Ha ha :) Loads of lovely sweet choc - chilli entries, I'm loving the drink ones.

      Delete
  8. I am never surprised these days. Some of the best recipes have ingredients in them that I would have never thought to try! They look delicious! I'm pinning them. Thanks for sharing them with us at Foodie Fridays! :) Hope to see you again Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Michelle. I'll look forward to joining in again and looking at the other lovey entries.

      Delete
  9. Chilli and chocolate is a great pairing surprisingly, your brownies look great. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What I wouldn't do for one of your brownies right now Laura - they sound perfect. I've used mayonnaise in a chocolate cake before, which turned out really well, even though we could taste the mayonnaise. I have yet to try it in brownies. Lovely entry for We Should Cocoa - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette! I would really like to try mayonnaise in a cake now too, it sounds very intriguing. I would guess at it turning out like a fudge cake maybe.

      Delete
  11. New Diet Taps into Pioneering Concept to Help Dieters Lose 20 Pounds in Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete
  12. BlueHost is definitely one of the best hosting company with plans for all of your hosting needs.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!