Thursday, 2 October 2014

Whisky Christmas Mincemeat - Suet Free

Yes, you read right. Please don't hate me - I've started on the Christmas recipes. I had to. I couldn't hold it off any longer. Despite thoroughly disagreeing with the shops being full of Christmas things in September I've been wanting to bake everyhting to do with Christmas. It's October now anyway and the Christmas round ups start next month anyway so if you think about it I'm not that early. 
Suet Free Christmas Mincemeat with Whisky and your favourite fruits.
In my defence, this stuff is delicious. Like, pack it into the jars then stand there eating it right back out of the jars delicious. Who cares if you get drunk off the fumes? (I didn't by the way, I got the lids on quick and didn't eat as much as I wanted to.) 
Suet Free Christmas Mincemeat with Whisky and your favourite fruits.
I've never liked mincemeat because of the suet before so have always had to eschew Mum's mince pies come Christmas time which made me sad. Then I saw Mary Berry make a suet-free version and I was hooked. That was the one for me and this year it got made. I've got a host of recipes lined up to use it in if I don't eat it neat first though if I can hold off, the three months I've given it to mature will make it all the better.
Suet Free Christmas Mincemeat with Whisky and your favourite fruits.
Glowing whisky infuses every gem of fruit present making them glisten and shine in radiant glory. The individual flavours bursting from each of each jewel twist and meld together into something unmistakeably more - something unmistakeably fruity and spiced with everything sweet about the season. Then the internal warmth of the full bodied whisky hits, lighting a little fire inside you chasing away to chills of winter.
Suet Free Christmas Mincemeat with Whisky and your favourite fruits.
It has been a revelation mixing up this batch of Christmas mincemeat. So easy. The most difficult bit is weighing out all the ingredients and even this allows you to choose your favourites to go into the mix. I added glace cherries instead of mixed peel and orange zest instead of lemon. Extra ginger got thrown in for a touch more warmth and although Mary's choice of rum was tempting I went with whisky because it just seemed right. Add what you will - just make sure you have a pan large enough to hold everything!


print recipe

Whisky Christmas Mincemeat - Suet Free
A seasonal mincemeat loaded with a menagerie of fruits and doused in a good helping of whisky. The difference with this one is that butter replaces the suet. Perfect for all manner of festive bakes.
Ingredients
  • 175g currants
  • 175g raisins
  • 175g sultanas
  • 175g dried cranberries
  • 175g apricots, chopped
  • 100g glace cherries, rinsed and chopped
  • 1 large bramley apple, cored and grated
  • 125g butter
  • 50g flaked almonds
  • 200g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1 orange, juice and zest
  • 200ml whisky
Instructions
1. Place all the the ingredients except the whisky in a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir to mix until the butter has melted then cook for 10 mins over the low heat, stirring occasionally.2. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. 3. Set the oven to 150 C/130 C fan. Wash some glass jars in hot soapy water, rinse then leave in the oven upside down for about 15 minutes.4. Remove the jars from the oven. Stir the whisky into the fruit mixture then pack into the jars trying to minimise the number of air pockets. Put lids on the jars and seal well. Leave in a cool place until needed.

I'm hoping Lucy will accept my suet free fruity mincemeat for her CookBlogShare event at Supergolden Bakes even thought it is a bit early to be talking of seasonal foods. I really wanted to make it! Janine from Cake of the Week has set her Baking with Spirit challenge theme as Something Autumnal and even though mincemeat is usually used in winter goodies, I still think of it as autumnal because you need to make it now if you want the flavours to mature. Well, that's my excuse.


29 comments:

  1. HI,
    Sounds lovely, I been thinking about getting started on the Christmas cake soon, am definitely going to be making this mincemeat.
    Maura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one thinking early! Let me know what you think if you do make it, I'd love to know =)

      Delete
  2. I have to admit that Christmas is barely on my radar at the moment, but then I don't really engage in making foods that take so long to mature. It's not that I wouldn't, it's just always been my mum's job to do those things. That being said, the glace cherries, ginger and orange do sound like they would make for a tasty mincemeat, so thank you for bringing this to my attention! Thanks for entering it into Baking With Spirit - I'll let you get away with your strange autumnal Christmas thinking ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Java thank you. I know I was pushing it but I really hoped I would get away with it! It's normally my mum who does this sort of thing too but when I saw the original recipe for this it gave me an idea which I had to y out for myself.

      Delete
  3. You are (scarily) pushing me towards Christmas..... This looks way too tempting.... especially the promise of it maturing by then. May just have to make some of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! It's just that Christmas recipes are such fun and I'm feeling weirdly Christmassy this year for a reason I can't fathom! I nearly tagged it as gluten free too but wasn't sure if it was because of the whisky.

      Delete
    2. Spirits are safe according to Coeliac UK (my trusty knowledge base on all stuff edible)..... the distillation process very helpfully removes the gluten! Yay!! Beer, ale, stout, lager and any juice or squash drink with 'barley' in the name however, are not).... I have my mincemeat all planned out..... off to get the ingredients later (shame on you for pushing me to Christmas thoughts in October!!)

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the tips - I'll remember that in future and pass it onto my housemate. And I think I'm sorry for encouraging Christmas baking so early. Then again maybe not - it's all part of the fun!

      Delete
  4. I really must try and make my own mincemeat, you've inspired me to have a go. I bet this one has a lovely kick to it with the whisky. #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo good luck and have fun then! It certainly does have a kick - sort of ooo this is lovely and warm at first then WOW! =D any help to keep out the chills come December!

      Delete
  5. Its not to early for talk of Christmas - I have been nudging my mum into whether she has started the Christmas cakes yet!

    I've always been put off the idea of making things with suet so its good to see an alternative, and I love the whisky and ginger additions - I bet the smell was intoxicating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, well what I got of it. It's really annoying sometimes having almost no sense of smell but I got a little bit of this. Or the fumes at least! Oddly enough I can smell bacon. Though having no proper sense of smell gives me all the more excuse to taste things as I go =)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe it's almost time for Christmas baking! I can't even be mad about it, because I love Christmastime so much...so let the mincemeat making commence!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There's something so special about Christmas baking don't you think?!

      Delete
  7. You've wrapped that jar so prettily Laura, I'd love to receive a present like that. Love the idea of using whisky, a drink I've only recently come to appreciate - in cooking and on porridge! I've made mincemeat with butter once before, but it doesn't have the keeping qualities of mincemeat made with suet or indeed mincemeat with no fat in it at all. From what you are saying, that doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Choclette. I didn't know butter mincemeat doesn't keep as well as a suet one but like you say, I'm aiming for it to be all gone before it has chance to go bad. I've never heard of putting whisky on porridge before but wow I can see that being good =)

      Delete
  8. Perfect. Was thinking of making a suet version this weekend but it's not always stocked in our supermarkets. Great to have a butter version... and this one looks completely sumptuous... I can smell those whisky fumes...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just saying to someone else that Christmas is coming way too soon for me. I am not ready at all. I can't even wrap my head around it. But I have a DIY project planned for Christmas that I actually need to start on next month so I guess I better start thinking about it. I've never made anything like this before but it looks great! Thanks for sharing it with us at Foodie Fridays! Hope you'll be joining us again this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! I hope you enjoy your project and any others and Christmas baking that are to follow. Maybe it will spark of this years Christmas buzz for you!

      Delete
  10. I made mincemeat for the first time last year and it does taste so much better! When I saw this linked to #CookBlogShare I thought - no way, too early - but it really isn't... Can't believe how fast time is speeding past me right now. Thanks for linking : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I swear time is going by faster and faster!

      Delete
  11. I adore mincemeat, I always make my own version and have some left over from last year which I'm dying to use. This has been featured as one of my favourites over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this week. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will look forward to seeing what you make with your leftover mincemeat.

      Delete
  12. HI,
    Made this Mincemeat on Monday, Mince pies last night (just to taste!) eaten by to-day!!. I made several jars as the recipe suggested, and it's gorgeous, this will now take over as my favourite Mincemeat recipe. Many thanks and have a Wonderful Christmas.
    Maura x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maura! It's lovey to hear when my recipes have been tried and even better when they are enjoyed. If you make anything else with it then I'd love to hear of the results. I'm so pleased you've enjoyed it =) happy Christmas to you!

      Delete
  13. Laura,
    Please may I share this post with a friend of mine, I would either (Try and hyperlink it) or print off and send as a PDF, obviously I would say it was your recipe on either? Many thanks Maura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! That's great news that you think this recipe good enough to share :) thanks for the mention and I hope your friend likes it.

      Delete
  14. Many thanks Laura, and Merry Christmas to you, scary how quickly it has come round this year.
    I'm sure she will like the Mincemeat, I've one jar saved from last year, it will be used to make the first batch of Mince pies for this year.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!