Sunday, 5 October 2014

Chocolate Chip Iced Latte Crumble Muffins

Sometimes a particular bake is planned and time is set aside for it, designated specifically to satisfy that urge. Then other times an idea comes along and you have to bake it so urgently you fit it into any available spot of time you can find. Like when you get back from uni and have maybe half an hour at a squeeze before you have to get a move on to get ready for a Friday evening out.
Thank goodness it was muffins I was desperate to bake and not a whacking great layer cake. Though I shouldn't talk too heavily about those or else that will be next on my list and seeing as I now know what my final year project is going to be on I need to spend more time reading journal articles and procedures for organic syntheses rather than recipe books. Not that I'll ever stop that. Just cut down. From six hours a day to five and a half maybe?
I'd had the idea for coffee muffins at the back of my mind for a while. It was only when I realised the carton of iced coffee I'd been handed one day in town during a promotion was soon to be out of date that I started to take it seriously. Then that fateful Friday the whole time I was in the lab the idea grew and became more attached to my mind until I cut my usual gossip time short (trust me, a LOT of talking goes on in science offices) and whipped back to the house to get these in the oven post haste. 
That first bite warm from the oven and the subsequent half muffin I downed was worth the risk of having to rush to get ready to go back out. It was everything you look for in a good muffin. Cushiony soft and tender, obligingly moist from the homemade buttermilk and substantial enough to give you the satisfaction of a proper bite of cake each time without being stodgy or weighty. The hit of coffee floats around the whole muffin riding on the wave of creaminess initiated by the iced drink, ricocheting off each little chunk of chocolate and complemented by the crunch of the crumble topping. Add the milky coffee glaze to finish and let it slowly infuse the rest of the muffin or simply grab a bite before it cools and you'll have instant comfort.
I'll always be thankful to the day I came across Sally's Baking Addiction for it's her muffin recipe I've adapted for these. People search for ages to find their ideal muffin recipe and I found mine with Sally. The domed top is perfect and the way they stay moist unlike so many other muffin recipes is a dream. And to think, I don't even like coffee. Put it in a cake though and I'll want to eat the lot.



print recipe

Chocolate Chip Iced Latte Crumble Muffins
A bakery style soft and moist muffin studded with chocolate chips and packed with creamy coffee flavour. the crumble topping and coffee glaze is the perfect finisher.
Ingredients
For the crumble:
  • 40g dark soft brown sugar
  • 80g plain flour
  • 0.25 tsp cinnamon
  • 30g butter, melted
For the muffins:
  • 190g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 50g dark chocolate chips
  • 1 large egg
  • 40g granulated sugar
  • 40g soft dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 60 ml sunflower or olive oil
  • 120 ml iced milk coffee mixed with 1dsp vinegar (or milk with 1 dsp vinegar and 1 heaped tsp instant coffee granules)
For the glaze:
  • 60g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 0.5-1 tbsp iced coffee, depending how thick you prefer
Instructions
1. First make the crumble topping. Mix together the sugar, flour and cinnamon then stir in themelted butter until clumps form. Set aside.2. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a muffin tray with 6 muffin cases. 3. Sift together the flour, cinnamon and baking powder then stir in the chocolate chips. In a separate bowl or jug, whisk together the egg, sugars, vanilla, buttermilk coffe and oil. Pour into the dry ingredients and quickly stir together until just combined but no further. The mixture will bea bit lumpy.4. Divide between the muffin cases and top with the crumble mixtures. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then turn the temperature down to 180 C/160C fanand bake for another 13-15 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.5. When completely cool, make the glaze. Sift the icing sugar then whisk in the vanilla and coffee milk until smooth. Drizzle over the muffins as much as you prefer.

I've set the theme for my Biscuit Barrel challenge as Comfort Food this month and because muffins give a quick result so quick, cosy satisfaction I'm, entering them there. Also, as luck would have it, the letter for this months AlphaBakes is I so because of the iced coffee I used to make these I'm sending them off to Caroline at Caroline Makes who is hosting this month, alternatively with Ros, The More Than Occasional Baker. I'm also sharing them with Helen and her Bake of the Week over at Casa Costello.

18 comments:

  1. These look really good! The icing on the crmble makes them look all the more appealing - I feel like I can almost taste them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I wasn't going to put the icing on but then I decided to just go for it. I'm glad I did!

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about the need to bake 'now'! I spend far too long dreaming up ideas (usually in the middle of the night) that I then have to make as soon as I can. These muffins do look very yum! I love the use of the iced coffee and the addition of the crumble top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During the many times when I can't get to sleep I often pull out my recipe books and immediately get lots of ideas. Maybe it's a bakers curse!

      Delete
  3. I love hearing about how you come up with your baking inspiration - Get concentrating on your work though! Thanks so much for being such a great part of #Bakeoftheweek New Linky now open x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you. I will bear your encouragement in mind! I'm terrible at concentrating though so no promises I'm afraid!

      Delete
  4. I've never seen iced coffee used in a recipe before, but now I have I'm wondering why not as these look wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up to The Pretty Pintastic Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great breakfast muffin! I've been on a muffin kick lately so I will have to give your recipe a try as it looks perfect. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Ros. I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  6. These sound delicious, I love coffee flavoured treats. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many awesome words in the title of this post! Chocolate! Iced! Latte! Crumble! Muffins! They look and sound delicious, why has nobody though of this great combination before, it's genius! Coffee icing sounds heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Kim! They are rather addictive and I simply couldn't leave any of the good stuff out of the title.

      Delete
  8. These look absolutely fantastic!!!! YUM! Thanks for linking with us at #foodiefridays!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your very eloquent description of how these taste, and they sound heavenly! Thanks for sharing them with Alphabakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them Caroline! I was so pleased when I found out I could enter them into Alphabakes this month - I'm not sure I would have been able to enter otherwise but it was obviously meant to be!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!