Sunday, 21 September 2014

Tunnel of Jam Chocolate Bundt Cake

I've been bitten by the bundt bug. I would like to blame Rachel from Dollybakes for introducing me to them but that would indicate that I don't want to fall in love with bundts and all the new recipes I can collect now. First it was this chocolate whisky bundt, then my favourite Madeira recipe and in between there was a marmalade bundt that never mad it to the blog because the photos were disappointing. Now it's this blackberry jam filled bundt cake.
 I love that you can produce such an attractive cake so quickly. The tin does all the hard work for you, cradling a quickly mixed cake batter in all it moldings and grooves. It's an ideal partnership. Minimum input, quick result, enough cake to share amongst a crowd.
 The result is always magnificent. I've already got my eye on about three other bundt tins, one of which is Christmas themed. There's no holding me back now. I want to bake all of the Christmas recipes.
 This cake is an ode to autumn though and the last dregs of summer. First off I wanted to make a blackberry jam filled chocolate Victoria sponge. That was before Mum bought me this cake tin from Lakeland for my birthday. It's a beauty isn't it? The tin demanded to be christened and thankfully so. It was a pleasure to turn out a devilishly dark chocolate cake, the flavour intensified by a touch of coffee. The richness of flavour hides well the airy, open sponge beneath the surface, a wealth of lightness where every pore shines with the moisture trapped within. Bite into the jam layer and a smooth fruity tang hits you. A nod to its sweet surrounds.
With any luck you will recognise the chocolate cake mixture. It's the same one which I used to make this blogiversary cookie dough frosted traybake and the already mentioned whisky bundt. Mum's ultimate chocolate cake recipe. Time served and easily adaptable. The proof is in the jam. A tunnel of jam sitting right below the surface waiting to ooze out of the fragile crust.



print recipe

Tunnel of Jam Bundt Cake
A moist, light sponge, deeply flavoured with chocolate and hiding a tunnel of extra fruity jam just below the surface. It needs no accompaniment besides a cup of tea.
Ingredients
  • Melted butter, for greasing
  •  Cocoa powder, to dust
  • 170g caster sugar
  • 7 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 120 ml milk + 1 dsp vinegar + 2 tsp coffee granules
  • 155g self-raising flour
  • 0.75 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.75 tsp baking powder
  • 45g cocoa powder
  • 4-5 tsp scoops jam, your favourite flavour
  • Icing sugar, to finish
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan. Brush the melted butter all over the inside of a bundt tin making sure it goes right into every crevice. Dust with cocoa powder or flour.2. Place all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, except the jam and icing sugar, sieving the flour, raising agents and cocoa powder. Mix together until smooth but no longer.3. Fill the bundt tin with the mixture and level off. Mix the jam in a cup to loosen then carefully spoon it on top of the cake mixture in a ring. Even more carefully lift a tiny bit of the cake mixture from the side of the jam ring over the top so the jam is covered.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 mins or until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out wihout cake mixture on it - some jam is to be expected.5. Cool on a wire rack for at least 30 mins then turn out of the tin onto the rack to finish cooling. Dust with icing sugar to serve if you wish.

Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog has chosen Jam to be paired with chocolate in some way this month for her We Should Cocoa challenge so I'm entering my jam filled bundt there.
Also, I'm entering Love Cake, run by Ness from JobberJabberUK, for the second time this month because it was the first time I had used this bundt tin and the theme is Back to School - Something New.  

12 comments:

  1. I love the name of this cake- I was sold on 'Tunnel of Jam'. Bundt tins are so, so pretty; look forward to seeing your festive creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! And right back at you - you always come up with something creative =)

      Delete
  2. What a spectacular cake Laura. I love bundts too - as you sat spectacular results with relatively little effort. Love your ring of jam, especially as it's homemade blackberry jam. Great entry to We Should Cocoa - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for the push to use jam and chocolate together thanks to We Should Cocoa - I love the combination.

      Delete
  3. Another fabulous cake Laura! The jam looks amazing, oozing out of the top. Blackberry jam works so well with chocolate...... Please send me over a piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be welcome to a slice Kate! I really surprised myself at how well the two worked together.

      Delete
  4. I love baking bundt cakes for the same reason that it's minimum effort for maximum result. I also love putting a layer of jam in between - really makes a difference. This is a gorgeous cake with lovely flavours and such a pretty design. Absolutely stunning photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ros that means a lot =)

      Delete
  5. You've got to love a Bundt and this one is so pretty! I haven't tried the jam trick yet but I think it would go down a storm here so I'm going have to make that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo brilliant! Let me know how it goes if you do =)

      Delete
  6. Saw you on We Should Cocoa!

    This bundt is so beautiful. I need to buy a nice bundt pan. Do you have a favorite one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I don't think I have a favourite bundt tin just yet - I need to build up my collection first. I keep having a nosey on amazon at the ones they have. I suspect though that my favourite may grow to be my Jubilee one which I recently made a Madeira cake in. I love how intricate it is.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!