Friday, 19 September 2014

Three Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties

I must be one of the most easily influenced people in the world. Maybe it comes with the lack of willpower. If I see a poster on my way into uni I'll want whatever new ice cream KFC have to offer. A wrapper on the pavement will have me wanting that new KitKat Chunky. This weekend I saw a folded up paper wrapper that one of my nephews left which reminded me of Starburst and I craved them for two days. Wednesday night the GBBO bakers had to make pasties. I wanted to make pasties. Well, for once, craving satisfied.
3 Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties. Cheddar, Wensleydale and Red Leicester encased in shortcrust pastry. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
 I could have happily eaten any or all of the pasties that the final six bakers were offering yesterday. I would have been doing a Sue, stuffing a sample of each one into my pockets. When it comes to making them myself though I go for easy. Simple done good. In this case very good. The name of my blog should realy be I'd Much Rather Bake Quickly and Eat Than.... but that doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
3 Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties. Cheddar, Wensleydale and Red Leicester encased in shortcrust pastry. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
I also had to use up what was in the fridge. I've said it many times before that restrictions in ingredients can force creativity in recipe development and so into the mixture went mustard powder, nutmeg, chives, caramelised onion, a mixture of cheeses and grated potato. I said it was going to be simple and easy. I didn't say it was going to be boring.
3 Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties. Cheddar, Wensleydale and Red Leicester encased in shortcrust pastry. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
The combination of cheeses was perfect. You can of course use whatever you want but if you can't decide which of your favourites to use then smoked Cheddar, Red Leicester and Wensleydale are a good combination. You get the creamy nuttiness with a hint of tang from the Leicester and a milder crumbliness with a touch of saltiness from the Wensleydale all rounded off by the depth of maturity from the smoked cheddar. Mustard and nutmeg brings out the individual flavours of the cheeses allowing them to twist and meld together. The sweetness of caramelised onions sits snuggly within each parcel, boosted by a generous helping of homegrown chives while everything is lovingly encased in melt in the mouth shortcrust pastry.
3 Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties. Cheddar, Wensleydale and Red Leicester encased in shortcrust pastry. Inspired by the Great British Bake Off.
Mum and Dad loved them. I got a big thumbs up when Dad had scraped up the last morsel and a 'they were nice' from Mum which equates to a profession of love and permission for me to make them again. It's always nice to make something a little bit different to mince and mash and have my plain-eating picky mother (who I love dearly) enjoy what I've made. I was the lucky one, getting the chance to eat one for lunch as well as one for dinner so I could take some photos. And to think I was considering not posting the recipe.



print recipe

Three Cheese and Caramelised Onion Pasties
A range of cheeses combines with sweet caramelised onions and a crumbly shortcrust pastry. Perfect for lunch or dinner. Choose your favourite cheeses to make it even better.
Ingredients
For the pastry:
  • 225g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp mustard powder
  • 115g cold block Stork or butter, cubed
  • Spalsh of cold water
For the filling:
  • 1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil
  • 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
  • Approx 150g potato, washed, scabs removed and grated
  • 1 tsp mustard powder
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • Ground pepper, to taste
  • 1 medium egg, beaten
  • Approx 150g cheese of your choice e.g. smoked Cheddar, Red Leicester & Wensleydale, grated
  • Milk, to glaze
Instructions
1. First make the pastry. Sift the flour and mustard powder together then rub in the butter unil it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in enough water to make a soft but not sticky dough. Bring together in a ball, flatten to a thick disc, cover and chill in the fridge while you prepare the filling.2. Heat the oil in a frying pan then add the onion and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until golden brown in colour and sweet tasting. This will take a while. Once ready, place in a bowl to cool.3. Squeeze the excess water from the potato and combine with the remaining filling ingredients except the milk. Stir in the onions, squeezing everything by hand to combine well. 4. Set the oven to 200 C/180 C and place a baking tray inside to heat up - this helps to cook the pasties from the bottom. Remove the pasttry from the fridge, roll out to a few mm and cut around a side plate, re-rolling the trimmings as necessary. I managed 4 discs.5. Dampen the edges of the discs with water and divide the filling between them. Bring the pastry edges together and press, then crimp to seal. Brush the pasties with milk to glaze.6. Place the pasties on the hot baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Enjoy hot or leave to cool on a wire rack.

Seeing as it was the Great British Bake Off that made me bake these cheese and onion pasties, I'm linking the recipe up with  the GBBO Bake Along which Lucy from Supergolden Bakes is hosting until the series finishes.Lucy isn't very well at the moment so get well soon!

14 comments:

  1. These look amazing! Can't beat a good pasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this post and I haven't had dinner yet which is such a dangerous proposition! I love the crimping and it just all looks so good! Thanks for linking to #GBBO Bake Along I bet even the male judge would be pleased with these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Lucy. I hope you got to have something yummy for dinner in the end. I was intending to do the male judge's crimping method so went to luck it up to find my ipad battery had died so ended up guessing it!

      Delete
  3. Pasties..... Yum! They look lovely..... not surprised your parents enjoyed them. Using up ingredients produces the best dishes.....I haven't made GF pasties yet...... Must do it soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely must! And then experiment with all different fillings. I don't make pies anyway near enough and yet I enjoy them so much.

      Delete
  4. Being from Devon, I am very into pasties. The filling for these sounds excellent - your family were very lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can never say no to a pastie, I love them. I like the flavours in these, sounds great! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) I'm feeling like making more tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. Omgosh, yum! Pasties aren't big where I live (Canada) but these look divine. Can't wait to whip up a batch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pasties ought to be a big thing everywhere! If you do get to bake a batch I hope you enjoy them :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!