Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Sprinkle Dipped Viennese Fingers

My Grandad has a new favourite biscuit. It used to be these Garibaldi biscuits which he admitted he loved after initially grumbling because he thought I was experimenting on him. Now though it is these Viennese biscuits. Well, not these ones. Grandad won't like the sprinkles. Possibly not even the chocolate. Yes I know, he doesn't even like chocolate cake. I still love him though so it's ok. 
Sprinkle Dipped Classic Viennese Fingers with chocolate. Classic traditional recipe with a twist.
A few weeks ago I went to visit my grandparents for the day because my parents were away for a few days and I wasn't going with them. Nanna and I were planning on going shopping after some lunch at their house so I could see Grandad. After the success of the Garibaldis I can't turn up at their house without a batch of biscuits with me but seeing as Grandad isn't allowed to eat dried fruit at the moment I had to come up with something else. Something plainer. I recently had success with Chocolate dipped Viennese fingers so I thought I give them a go with Grandad and risk being accused of using him as a guinea pig.
Sprinkle Dipped Classic Viennese Fingers with chocolate. Classic traditional recipe with a twist.
When I went to make them I discovered I had run out of piping bags so Grandad actually ended up with Viennese discs. No matter - they bake perfectly and Grandad loved them. When I rang to say I had arrived home safely Nanna told me he liked them even more then the Garibaldis. Simultaneous high praise and a warning - don't bring the others again!
Sprinkle Dipped Classic Viennese Fingers with chocolate. Classic traditional recipe with a twist.
When Mum said I could bake a batch of biscuits to take with us when we went away last weekend I couldn't resist testing out this idea. I know I shouldn't meddle with a recipe which is perfect as it is, and Viennese biscuits are admired by so many, but I was dying to coat something with as many sprinkles as I could. These biscuits seemed perfect - the sprinkles would hopefully add a spot of the whimsical to an old fashioned but ever pleasant classic.
Sprinkle Dipped Classic Viennese Fingers with chocolate. Classic traditional recipe with a twist.
I was absolutely right. Each biscuit is wealthy with a deep buttery flavour and a crumbling shortness - sublime on the tongue as each bite dissolves at the merest touch. Dip each end in your favourite chocolate then into a cup full of rainbow sprinkles and you will have something fun to add a smile to your day. If that doesn't do it, think of them as giant sparkly matchsticks as one of my Facebook page fans dubbed them. Don't fix what isn't broken. Viennese biscuits without sprinkles are just a little bit broken.


print recipe

Sprinkle Dipped Viennese Fingers
A classic recipe given a fun twist by dipping them in a thick layer of chocolate then covering with sprinkles. The crunch really highlights the rich buttery flavour.
Ingredients
  • 175g softened butter
  • 60g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 175g plain flour
  • 60g cornflour
  • 75g chocolate (milk, white or dark as you wish)
  • Multicoloured sprinkles
Instructions
1. Line two sheets with baking paper.2. Beat the butter until very soft and creamy then sift and beat in the icing sugar and vanilla extract until combined. Sift the flour and cornflour then mix into the butter/sugar until just combined. Bring the mixture together with your hands but don't knead.3. Fit a piping bag with a large closed star shaped nozzle then fill with the mixture - you might find it easier to work with a small bit at a time. Pipe the mixture into 3" lines leaving a gap between them. Chill in the fridge while the oven heats to 170 C/150 C fan.4. Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 mins until the biscuits are very lightly coloured and feel like they have started to set at the edges. Leave on the sheets for 5 mins, then remove and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.5. Melt the chocolate using your preferred method and leave to cool slightly - this helps it stay on so you get a thicker coating. Line a tray with baking paper and place the sprinkles in a cup. Dip each finger into the chocolate, tap off the excess then dip into the sprinkles. Leave to set on the paper lined tray.

I've set the theme of my own Biscuit Barrel challenge this month as Birthday Celebrations because the Biscuit Barrel is one year old now. I reckon the fun of the pretty sprinkles make them perfect for a birthday so I'm entering them here. 
I'm also entering them into CookBlogShare run by Lucy from Supergolden Bakes for all home baked goods.
Helen from Casa Costello has alerted me to her Bake of the Week so I'm very happily updating this post to link up over there too.


22 comments:

  1. These look gorgeous, I love your photos. Glad they got your Grandad's seal of approval :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just too pretty for words! Those sprinkles are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty, I love the delicate pale colour against the sprinkles. and just lovely that your Grandad loves them too! #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't often use sprinkles but when I do, I like to well and truly use them =)

      Delete
  4. Love them Laura! I agree..... they do look like very pretty matchsticks. The photos are fab! Great cup and saucer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the color the sprinkles add to the biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matea. I thought, well, why not have colourful biscuits?!

      Delete
  6. This look soooo pretty! I can't think why I haven't seen the sprinkle dipped before. My son would lose his little mind over these. I may treat him on his birthday. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must confess I do want to cover lots more things in sprinkles now.

      Delete
  7. Ooh these look so gorgeous - You win extra Brownie points for how perfect each one is! Feel free to add to Bake of the Week - would be lovely to see you there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Helen! I'll be sure to join in once I'm back on my computer =)

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for taking part in Bake of the Week - great to have you with us! New week's linky now open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant, thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  9. They look great! I love how these biscuits melt in the mouth. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh they look so pretty! Goes to show it's not always a bad thing to mess with a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Trying to find the Best Dating Website? Join to find your perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
  12. FreedomPop is the only 100% FREE mobile phone provider.

    With voice, SMS and data plans always start at £0.00/month.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!