Sunday, 28 September 2014

Biscuit Barrel September 14 Round Up

Ah September is over and we are firmly into autumn. I've also survived my first few weeks back at uni and my final year project research is under way but the baking hasn't let up.
I set the theme this month as Birthday Celebrations because I know of a few birthdays in Spetember, including that of the Biscuit Barrel itself. With all these fine entries, it would certainly be a very handsome birthday spread. Here they are for your perusal. 
First up is Corina at Searching for Spice with these Raspberry Blondies she made for her husband's birthday. Corina and her husband rarely agree on cake matters and she thought she had finallly found a common delight for them only for her husband to say there was enough raspberry flavour when Corina wanted more. Never mind though because these are soft and moist with caramelised bits of white chocolate and a treat I suspect Corina's husband wouldn't mind eating again even if he did prefer the original blondie recipe

Have you ever had the 'Are Jaffa Cakes biscuits or cake?' discussion'? Kate from The Gluten Free Alchemist asks this question in her post for Gluten Free Mixed Berry Jaffa Cakes. I'm firmly in the cakes camp but who cares when you are talking about something so creative? Kate tells you how to make jelly from fruity jam as well as providing a perfect gluten free base using glutinous rice flour. Even her white Jaffa Cakes look incredibly addictive.

Cupcakes are always a good idea for birthdays and Caroline from Caroline Makes has created some Kinder Bueno Cupcakes which would be very welcome at any birthday spread where I was present, not least because Caroline has combined chocolate upon chocolate. There is a hazelnut sponge filled with white chocolate spread and a topping comprising of a heap of chocolate buttercream, a chocolate drizzle and a piece of the Kinder Bueno itself. The sound just as heavenly as the chocolate bar.

My own entry now which are these Sprinkle Dipped Viennese Fingers. Everybody knows how yummy the classic buttery, crumbly, melting biscuit is but have you ever thought of loading them with sprinkles? It really is very fun to bit into the chocolate covered end made crunchy by a thick layer of rainbow sprinkles and of course, sprinkles are a heavy feature of birthdays in one form or another. Plus, they're still perfect to dunck in your cup of tea. 

Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog has shared these Orange and Beetroot Cupcakes and filled them with a delicious homemade plum jam surprise before baking then finishedd them off with a shocking pink icing which is bound to brighten up any birthday party or even a simple gathering of friends for afternoon tea. They certainly set me off smiling when I saw the pictures. With that golden and spiced crumb I wouldn't need the 'eat me' instruction - I'd be too busy peeling away the cake case.

These Blackcurrant Macarons come via Janine from Cake of the Week. Filled with a blackcurrant jam and white chocolate ganache, the combination of creamy sweet and fruity tang goes so well with the almond shells and finished off with a bit of glitter these would shine amongst a birthday spread. Best keep the plate away from me!

That's it for this month and thank to all those who have helped to celebrate the Biscuit Barrel birthday. It has been a truly indulgent month and it's probably a good job it was only pictures and wods that I had to look at with all these delcious goodies! Pop back on October 1st for the new Biscuit Barrel challenge - I think you'll enjoy it.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely round-up Laura...... I'd be happy with all of those on my birthday table.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful round-up! Those blackcurrant macarons look amazing - I want them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite jealous of the recipients myself ;)

      Delete
  3. What a delicious birthday spread. Everything looks so pretty, I'm not sure which one I'd want to dive into first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I'd be happy with any (or all) of these.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!