Tuesday, 19 August 2014

Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats

Rice Krispie treats. Quick, simple, just a few ingredients and something I should not be allowed to make. Ever. Fortunately for my taste buds I am not quite strong enough to declare that I am never making them again, like I did over strawberries after making this Strawberry Dacquiri Traybake. I'm simply stating that I shouldn't make them. But you know, I do a lot of things I shouldn't and most of them involve sugar.

I've had a hankering to make Rice Krispie treats or cornflake cakes for a while now but it's not the sort of thing I have much of an opportunity to make. Mum prefers traditional cakes and I can't make a whole batch for myself. Well I could but it wouldn't do me much good health wise. Satisfaction wise though oh my God yes.

It got to the end of July and enough was enough. I had to pacify my desire to make the simplest of goodies and to hell with how childish melting marshmallows and mixing in cereal is. A well made Krispie treat is a thing of beauty and as such should be celebrated. I did consider doing this by going all out overloaded brownies style but after collecting so many ideas for toppings and add-ins (thanks for stealing hours of my life Pinterest) I decided to keep things relatively simple.

Recently I've been on a peanut butter kick so I had to get some in there somehow. My first attempt was of an adapted version of Edd Kimber's Nutella & Banana Bites. They were ok but I was nowhere near happy with the photos and the peanut butter didn't come through strong enough. These were round two with the excuse that they are for my nephews to take to their new home with them. They don't need to know that I neatened up the bars several times over. By God they are good.

If peanut butter was to feature then chocolate had to too. I already knew that peanut butter and white chocolate was a good combination but after today I might even prefer it to peanut buter and milk chocolate. The topping is one I could (sort of did) spoon straight from the bowl into my mouth. I made sure not to dilute the peanut butter flavour either by adding normal butter - for once butter has no place here. Sticky, chewy, crispy, crunchy with a melting layer of pleasure on top. Peanut butter lovers can delight in the earthy indulgence infusing both layers in every bar. Peanut butter all the way.


print recipe

Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
A childhood and adulthood favourite combines marshmallows, Rice Krispies and a lot of peanut butter to make something very, very addictive.
Ingredients
For the base:
  • 150g marshmallows, cut into smaller pieces
  • 100g peanute butter, smooth or crunchy as you prefer
  • 75-100g Rice Krispies (depending on how gooey you prefer)
To finish:
  • 100g white chocolate, chopped
  • 50g peanute butter, smooth or crunchy as you prefer
  • Handful of white chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Grease a suitable tin or use a silicone one. Melt the marshmallows and peanut butter in the microwave, stirring periodically to combine. 2. Stir in the Rice Krispies and quickly press into your tin/silicone tray. Smooth as best as you can with a lightly oiled spatula. Leave to cool and set in the fridge.3. For the topping melt the chopped chocolate nad peanut butter together in the microwave. Pour onto the base, smooth out and sprinkle on the chocolate chips. Leave to set then cut into bars.

Both my own Biscuit Barrel challenge and Treat Petite hosted by Stuart from Cakeyboi this month, alternating with Kat from The Baking Explorer, have the theme of No Bake this month so I'm sharing these Rice Krispie treats with these. Also, Rebecca from Bake N Quilt has chosen the theme of marshmallows for We Should Cocoa which she is hosting on behalf of Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog. We must not forget the important role played by marshmallows in these!

17 comments:

  1. Oooh like a grown up version of rice krispies treats. I LOVE peanut butter so am pleased that you worked it in there. I don't think I've tried a peanut butter and white chocolate combination so I must give it a go, please pass the plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should try it Ros, it's delicious =)

      Delete
  2. I love white chocolate and peanut butter together. These rice krispie treats look really good and simple to make which is always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine =) they really did make me realise jut how good the combination was.

      Delete
  3. Krispie squares are a great canvas for different flavors. I would never have thought of putting white chocolate and peanut butter together, but it looks delicious! Thanks for joining We Should Cocoa this month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. White chocolate AND peanut butter?! Amazing combination. I am trying to be a little LESS indulgent this month (summer bodies are made in winter and all that) but I might store this for a special occasion... like a day with a 'y' in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that notion made me smile =D the really good thing about these is that they are perfect for any season. Well, that's my excuse!

      Delete
  5. Yummy, I love rice krispie treats with pb! These look so good with the white chocolate on top! Saying hello from savoring Sundays! :-)
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy! Thank you for you lovely comment =)

      Delete
  6. Love these Laura! I am going to have to try PB and White Choc too - sounds delish. Thanks for taking part in Treat Petite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure =) I hope you like the combination as much as I do!

      Delete
  7. Haha Laura, you combined the two crispy choccie things I made this month and made something that sounds even better - dangerous stuff. Thanks for sharing them with WSC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't know about that - yours both sounded rather good! Thank you all the same. I'm looking forward to next months challenge.

      Delete
  8. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you gotta watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!