Tuesday, 12 August 2014

One Pot Rich Pumpkin and Tomato Spaghetti

I shouldn't be writing this post. I promised myself a while ago that I wasn't going to write any more posts where I'm not at least a little bit happy with the pictures at the time because I want to improve my photography skills. I accept that when I look back on some of those posts I am no longer at least a little bit happy with the pictures but that is what happens when you go through a learning curve. Also, I admitted with these fritters that with savoury recipes I'm more interested ineating my meal thantaking pictures of it. I'm making an exception for this recipe though despite the super quick  phone pictures because I surprised myself at how delicious it was. And so incredibly easy.
I threw it together on the last evening I spent in Huddersfield at the end of my placement before coming home for six weeks in the interim prior to final year starting. I was waiting for a call to say whether my dad would be picking me up that evening or the following morning and I had used most of my fresh food from the fridge so it was have something from the freezer or make something from the last little bits I had floating about. 
It was once of the instances where it was simply meant to me. I had some frozen pumpkin leftover still from these muffins, some frozen wine leftover from these butterfly cakes, tomatoes that were a bargain in Lidl and some herbs. I kept fancying pasta and wanted to know if it would work to bung it all in a saucepan and simmer for ten minutes. Oh it worked all right. I had to stop myself from eating the second portion that was destined for the autumns lot of freezer meals. 
Comforting nourishment in a veg packed sauce made rich by the addition of wine, a touch of cream cheese and starchy pasta. Nothing fancy but completely edifying - ideal for those autumn or let's face it, certain British summer, evenings where cosiness is demanded of the meal in front of you. This easily adapted wonder satisfies and if you want a bigger portion with more of your favourite leftovers in then nobody is going to argue.


print recipe

One Pot Rich Pumpkin and Tomato Spaghetti
One pot pasta made using autumn pumpkin, bright tomatoes, rich white wine and your favourite herbs. Add in any other ingredients you want to use up and adjust the quantities to satisfy any level of hunger.
Ingredients
  • 100g pumpkin puree
  • 2 plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 150 ml white wine
  • Your choice of herbs, chopped if fresh
  • A squeeze of garlic puree
  • A squeeze of tomato puree
  • Chilli powder, to taste
  • 50g Spaghetti
  • 1 tbsp cream cheese (or cream or creme fraiche)
Instructions
1. Place all of the ingredients, excpet the cream cheese, in a roomy saucepan and add enough water to make sure the spaghetti is well covered.2. Bring to the boil and reduce to a simmer, pressing down the spaghetti as it softens. Simmer for 10 mins, stirring frequently so the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan, until the sauce is to your desired ocnsistency and the pasta is cooked.3. Stir through the cream cheese (or cream/creme fraiche) and serve immediately. Top with extra cheese if you wish.

The way I raided the fridge and freezer to gather the ingredients for this dish makes it ideal for the No Waste Food Challenge, hosted by me this month of behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

Elizabeth is in charge of Credit Crunch Munch this month, the creation of Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla from Fab Food 4 All. By using up odds and ends, this was really cheap to make.

I'm hoping my first entry into Pasta Please, currently hosted by Nayna from Simply Food on behalf of Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes, will be accepted because the required ingredients of peppers is only very small in the addition of chilli powder. The chilli does give it a bit more kick though!

*UPDATE 30/11/14*
I was contacted on behalf of the lovely people at Tuscany Now asking if I would like to enter a recipe into their competition. As this dish was initially inspired by a Spaghetti Amatriciana dish I had recently made, I'm going to enter it into the #TuscanyNowCookOff competition. It has of course gone through a few changes being a one pot meal and using pumpkin but the Italian roots are still there! Plus, using pumpkin makes it perfect for this time of year too.

22 comments:

  1. Pasta's so fab for getting rid of left-overs. It's amazing what wonderful tasty sauces you can whip up in a flash! I've not had pumpkin based sauce before, but i"m sure it tasted great.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. If I end up with more pumpkin purée leftovers, I know what I'll be making!

      Delete
  2. This sounds amazing, and it is getting so close to time for Autumn comfort dinners. I will make a couple substitutes just so I don't have to buy ingredients I'll never use again (like coconut milk instead of cream cheese), but wow, pumpkin tomato pasta is a fantastic idea!

    I shall pin this recipe for use later in the year; I can't wait to make it!

    Found you via the Mix-it-up-Monday link party! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like it Ashley. The use of coconut milk sounds like it would be lovely, I might just try it myself if I get a little bit leftover from something else some time. Do let me know what you think if you make it!

      Delete
  3. Yum, how nice and warming that looks. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a perfect autumn/winter warming dish =)

      Delete
  4. I absolutely love this recipe! It sounds like such a perfect, frugal, comfort food. MMmm! Thank you for sharing with Credit Crunch Munch and the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and I'm so pleased you like it! To be honest, I can't wait to have another bowlful when I go back to uni, though I can definitely wait to start lectures again.

      Delete
  5. Pumpkin and tomato sounds like a delicious combination !

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious. The flavor profile is very interesting! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting and looks so comforting and yummy. I wish I had a bowl of it now. Good luck with your Tuscany Cookoff!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great use of pantry items. Waste not want not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to use pumpkin in savory recipes! I use it in soups all the time. This sounds like one I should definitely try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do Ashlyn! And I hope you enjoy it.

      Delete
  10. I love pumpkin in savory dishes, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing to myself with pictures. There was one recipe I almost didn't post because I wasn't happy with the pictures and it did really well on Pinterest. Go figure. It's still not my favorite, but I'm not going to take a new one. Your pasta dish looks like the perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just goes to show that you don't need to have perfect photography skills to have a successful blog doesn't it?!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!