Friday, 22 August 2014

Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Courgette Brownies

Another brownie recipe so soon after these beauties? I'm really pleased with how well they've done because they were received so well outside of cyberspace too. Before 9:15 am too no less. These brownies are just as chocolatey but in a different way. It must be the courgettes. They work wonders for enhancing other flavours and I swear you won't be able to taste veg (technically fruit) in your dessert. Please trust me on this. Why would I lie about cake?

I know I've already given you a bunch of courgette recipes but I'm having so much fun experimenting that I can't help myself. There's been these wonderful muffins, this double chocolate loaf and on the savoury side these cheddar and spring onion fritters. I've also got a delicious flan to come and several other cakes, and let's not forget the recipes I've tried but my family devoured too quickly for me to photograph, but for now let's focus on these brownies.

They aren't based on my usual recipe like these overloaded brownies. Nor are they born out of these other ultra fudgy  gluten free brownies. They are still wonderful and one which I'll no doubt adapt for a different gluten free purpose at some point but these brownies are something else. The final in my trio of go-to recipes for brownies for different occasions and additions.

Mum described them as mousse like. And fudgy. That's practically an oxymoron I know but it's true. They have the decadent fudgy depth that everybody loves in a brownie and yet a moussey pudding texture that stops them from being heavy. The chocolate flavour is created by the cocoa powder used in the mixture and boosted by the melted chocolate to create something which is full bodied and proud to say so. There is no hint of weakness about these. The hand cut chunks of chocolate scattered on top give another texture in each bite and did I happen to mention they are stuffed with pockets of Nutella?

You can eat these and feel like you are being the naughtiest person in the world. Every sensation they ignite is the epitome of indulgence and get here is the really surprising thing. They healthy than your average brownie. Yes, way.

Less melted chocolate, less fat (and unsaturated fat too), a little less sugar and no eggs. And not a hint of the truth! You don't miss any of these things. The only thing you will miss is the brownies themselves when they are gone too quick. Whoever created the original recipe deserves a medal, making something suitable for egg allergy sufferers that so many egg eaters have taken and adapted as their own. The mixture feels wrong and weird to work with but it works. Oh it works so well. If you haven't got a glut of courgettes to use up then I urge you to get to the shops to buy some fast.


print recipe

Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Courgette Brownies
A wonderfully fudgy, very chocolatey brownie to use up some of those courgettes (zucchini) in the most delicious of ways.
Ingredients
  • Nutella
  • 90g + 50g (separately) dark chocolate e.g. Bournville, chopped
  • 60ml oil
  • 150g granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup grated courgette
  • 100g self raising flour
  • 30g cocoa powder
Instructions
1. Scoop 9 teaspoonfuls of Nutella onto a baking paper lined tray and place in the fridge or freezer to set.2. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 8" baking tray with baking paper. Melt the 90g chocolate and leave to cool slightly.3. Whisk in the oil, sugar and vanilla then mix in the grated courgette. It will seem stiff but perservere - it works.4. Sift in the flour and cocoa and mix to combine. The mixture will seem dry but keep going, it will come together. Spread out and level in the lined tray. Place a Nutella scoop in the centre of where each square will be and push down so they are covered. Scatter over the chocolate chunks.5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 35 mins. Go slightly longer if you prefer brownies firmer. Remove and cool completely in the tin on a wire rack then carefully remove and slice into 9 squares.

I'm so pleased with these brownies that I hope other people will be too so I'm sharing them with CookBlogShare run by Lucy at Supergolden Bakes.

12 comments:

  1. I love your description of these, and the quantities are unbelieveable for such an indulgent looking brownie. I like cooking lower calorie things so may try this recipe next time I go for brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it if you do. The mixture is weird at first but I swear it works!

      Delete
  2. Yum!!!! Melty pockets of Nutella? Mmmmmm.... And such healthy-sounding brownies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear they are that little bit healthier and I reckon there must be half a portion of your five a day in each one too!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE veggies in bakes and cakes and these look absolutely amazing Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to be on a mission to corrupt courgettes! These look very decadent and absolutely wicked. I must try them. Thanks for linking to #CookBlogShare see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hadn't thought about it like that! I suppose I am, but I have made some healthier courgette recipes too I promise - I just didn't get pictures to blog about them =D

      Delete
  5. I love the chunks of chocolate poking through! I almost daren't link to this, which I read about in this morning's paper: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/20/hazelnut-shortage-nutella-prices_n_5691755.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about that recently but I hoped it was a load of rubbish but obviously, and very sadly, not. I will be among the masses hoarding it I know.

      Delete
  6. Yum! Gotta love a fudgy brownie. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!