Monday, 4 August 2014

Mini Blackberry Bakewell Tarts

I hadn't intended to blog about these so quickly but as it turns out I'm so incredibly pleased with them that I couldn't wait. I don't think I could possibly be happier with them, especially after their unstable origins last week. 
This is a recipe born out of a disaster. Not a disater that anybody who tried some recognised but one which every baker dreads. My pastry case collapsed in the oven and the filling spilled out everywhere. My Bakewell tart looked rather sorry for itself wallowing in a half baked frangipane puddle. Not that anyone believed me when I took the bit that I salvaged into uni. Seriously, I presented it to the guys at 9:15 am and seconds later they were in the box and silence reigned. They were too busy eating.
You see, two of my friends had a birthday last week and one of them has been trying to get me to make a Bakewell tart for the last couple of years. I'd been really feeling like making one lately so it gave me the perfect opportunity to satisfy a number of wishes, including the desire to use up a jar of blackberry jam which I made last summer. I baked the case using an enriched pastry on Wednesday night intending to finish and photograph it on Thursday and take it in on Friday. However, fate didn't like that idea. 

First, at the 20 minutes check mark I opened the oven door to see the aforementioned puddle. I nearly cried but held myself together enough to eat the spill clear up the baking tray and stem the frangipane flow with a foil collar while the rest baked. Then when the baking time was up, the remaining filling refused to bake so I had to leave it in longer. Which meant the pastry started to overbake though I'm thankful it didn't out and out burn. And the filling started to shrink away from the sides. Brilliant. I was in a quandry whether to take Bakewell-gate in or not but after asking the recipients on Facebook the message was clear. I was in trouble if I didn't.

There was no way in hell I was going to leave my taste testers with the memory of me stating that it had all gone wrong, even if they hadn't noticed, so this weekend was round two. Thankfully these mini versions were a lot more compliant and went without a hitch. Plus, being mini, they are rather adorable. And let's not forget addictive. It's like they are saying that it's fine to reach out for a second or even third helping. I suspect that might happen tomorrow and I will be powerless to stop them. I'm too pleased with the outcome.
The delicate pastry crumbles at the first bite leaving the buttery richness to melt over the tongue. The deep and fruity jam oozes out leaving you with just enough tartness to cut through the heavenly grandeur that is almond frangipane. A well rounded hue of tastes and textures in individual bites. Crumbly, juicy, sticky and nutty all at the same time.
Today is a satisfied day. Tomorrow I will show off these little treats with the smallest of smug little smile. I'm pleased with every recipe I've posted on here but rarely do I say it so simply - this time I did good.


print recipe

Mini Blackberry Bakewell Tarts
Individual portions of a very popular Engllish classic with enriched crumbly shortcrust pastry, homemade blackberry jam and essential fragipane filling.
Ingredients
  • 175g plain flour, sifted
  • 25g icing sugar, sifted
  • 90g butter, chilled and cubed
  • 2-3 tbsp cold water
  • 0.5 tsp almond extract
  • 100g ground almonds
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 2 medium eggs
  • Blackberry jam
  • Flaked almonds, to sprinkle
  • Icing sugar, to finish
Instructions
1. Combine the flour and icing sugar then rub in the butter until it looks like breadcrumbs. Mix in the almond extract and enough cold water until clumps start to form then bring the dough together into a ball, kneading only very briefly.2. Roll out the pastry between 2 sheets of baking paper to 2-3mm then cut out discs to fit the holes of a fairy cake tray using a biscuit cutter sized about 7cm ish (I got 18) and use to line the trays. Chill in the fridge while the oven heats up.3. Set the oven to 190 C/170 C fan. Place the almonds, caster sugar, softened butter and eggs in a bowl and beat together with an electric mixer until combined and no lumps remain.4. Place a small blob of jam (half tsp ish) in each tart case and cover with a heaped tsp of frangipane. Smooth the filling out so it reaches the edges of the case. Be careful not to overfill as it will expand and any remaining frangipane can be baked in paper cases. Sprinkle a few flaked almonds onto eaach tart.5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 mins until golden brown then cool on a wire rack, using a knife to gently lift each from the tray.6. When completely cool, mix 1 dsp water with enough icing sugar to make a glace icing of your desired consistency then drizzle over the tarts to finish.
The size of these Bakewell tarts make them nice and compact for a picnic and so I'm submitting them to the Tea Time Treats challenge which has a picnic theme for August and is currently hosted by Karen from Lavender and Lovage who alternates with Janie from The Hedge Combers.

Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary hosts the Shop Local challenge and even though I didn't actually buy the berries that went into the jam I hope this entry will still be accepted because I made the jam myself from locally picked wild bramble berries. Wild fruits and produce need to be celebrated and used just as much which I'm reasonably confident Elizabeth will agree with.

32 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear of the original tart Laura but these more than make up for it and you've some very lucky friends who get to tuck into these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =) I don't think they mind being my taste testers, even when I complain that the bake has gone wrong they are still pretty happy to put it to good use!

      Delete
  2. These look gorgeous! I could eat a worrying number of these in one sitting. Sorry to hear that the first tart didn't go as planned. Funnily enough the last time I made mini bakewells (similar to these) they were a complete disaster - uncooked pastry and burnt frangipane. I have a feeling a few of them broke coming out the tin as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was really hard for me to stop at one while I was doing to photos to be honest. That's such a shame about your own version. I hope it hasn't put you off making them again.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh - yum - I am just off to pick blackberries and certainly some will end up as jam so I am pinning this to my Food for the Future! Board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's brilliant news. Blackberry picking is so much fun and they make such gorgeous jam. I'd love to here about the results if you do get to make some =)

      Delete
  4. Go for it Laura - a big fat smug smile is what is needed here. Your tarts look superb - dainty and pretty and very very edible. I hate baking disasters, but sometimes good things can come out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =) the disaster was worth it in the end because everyone love them and several people managed to grab more than one!

      Delete
  5. Stuff the disaster...... These look amazing! Perfectly formed and absolutely delicious.......... I so wish I could eat one right now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you! They would be really easy to deglutenise if you wanted to give them a go =)

      Delete
  6. Forget the FIRST tart Laura and revel in these beauties! Wow, if I was on a picnic with you, I would be very tempted to be ultra greedy with these wee pastries! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Karen. The first tart is practically a thing of the past now. I only wish I'd taken a picture to send into GBBO Extra Slice because now it is over, the incident really was funny =)

      Delete
  7. I love bakewell tarts, these look so cute and very yummy! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad =) I so often think mini versions look cute!

      Delete
  8. I am definitely inclined to agree! Laura these are BEAUTIFUL! I could quite happily tuck into two, or three (or more!) of these right now! Thank you so much for linking up with Shop Local and my sincerest apologies for taking so long popping over to comment! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, there's nothing worse than checking on your bake and seeing something has gone horribly wrong! I find my taste testers never seen to notice or care either haha! These mini ones are adorable though and sound delicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Bakewell tarts! These mini ones look adorable :)
    I hate it when something goes wrong!! I used storm off and silently shed a tear when things go wrong with mine... but you're right taste testers don't seem to mind! :D
    They sound delicious though (perfect or with a few flaws!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha many a tear has been shed in my kitchen I can assure you! Still, my testers usually make up for it ;)

      Delete
  11. Your tarts looks absolutely delicious! Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That's such a lovely thing to hear.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. That's great news, let me know if you do get to try them.

      Delete
  13. Your perseverance certainly paid off, these little tarts look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was definitely worth the initial disaster.

      Delete
  14. My family might not all agree on the jam flavor but the tarts are a must! Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ops job they work with pretty much any jam then! Hope you all enjoy them.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!