Saturday, 2 August 2014

Double Chocolate Chunk Courgette Loaf Cake

It's 9am on a Saturday morning and so far I've already had breakfast, done the usual morning things, spent an hour on Pinterest, read this pretty useful inforgraphic, edited the photos for this post, completed an online survey and drank two cups of tea. I'll shortly be moving onto a hot chocolate made with Thorntons Hot Chocolate Bombs while I finish telling you all about this super delicious chocolate chunk courgette cake recipe. I need the chocolate fuel to do the recipe justice because despite a really good evening out last night with friends I was wide awake at half six this morning. That isn't right for any day of the week let alone a Saturday.
This is my second courgette recipe in a row after these Cheddar and Spring Onion Courgette Fritters. There is the slight possibility that I will become one of those bloggers whose summer posts consist of 75% courgette recipes while trying to get rid of homegrown stock or bargain produce they've found in the supermarket but I won't be too sorry for it because there are so many gorgeous things to be made from them. 
Months ago I begged my mum to grow some courgette plants for me this summer and finally she relented. A few weeks ago I had the honour of starting the harvest and since then I've been given almost daily updates on how the others are coming along causing me to get excited each time over what recipe I'm going to try next.

Admittedly this cake wasn't made using Mum's homegrown courgettes because they weren't ready just then but it is the first recipe I've tried using the fruit. A savoury fruit yes but defintiely a fruit - it's from the same family of plants as the honeydew melon which I've been working with all year on placement to characterise the pectin extracts from. Trust me, that awkward, pain-in-the-rear-end fruit has caused me enough problems this year for me to know.  Placement might finish next week but the melon fluff story won't be over until I've done my presentation in September.
Anyways, moving on from that slight rant there, I am officially a convert to courgette baked goods. Normally when I'm trying out an idea I'll gather lots of recipes together then choose pieces from each to create my own but this time I was going to try my hardest to stick to a previously tested recipe. I had high hopes for the potential of courgettes in my baking. I didn't want to screw it up. 
Thankfully I made a good choice in this recipe which came via here. It's definitely a keeper. One of those really easy, quick to mix and get in the oven cakes. Seriously, the hardest and longest part is grating the courgettes. And not eating the chocolate chunks. If you can resist however you will be rewarded with a delight of a cake. An acute chocolate lake of a loaf oozing with moisture and hiding underground pockets of dark chocolate lava only hinted at by the rugged hunks of chocolate scattered on top. The courgettes lend themselves to the character of the cake, one which can be enjoyed by all.
I swear my only adaptation was to convert and round off the measurements to metric instead of cups. Aaaaaand to use coffee granules instead of espresso powder. But that was necessary because we don't have espresso powder because we don't drink it. I don't even drink coffee - bleurgh. Now, I really ought to go and get some work done. Though I might just put the kettle on first.


print recipe

Double Chocolate Chunk Courgette Loaf Cake
Full of chocolate flavour and pockets of molten chocolate chunks this loaf cake gets it's moisture content from the grated courgettes folded into the mixture.
Ingredients
  • 2 large eggs
  • 80 ml honey
  • 120 ml oil, sunflower or olive
  • 100g soft dark brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 heaped tsp instant coffee granules, ground
  • 45g cocoa powder
  • 210g plain flour
  • 2 smallish courgettes, grated
  • 200g dark chocolate, chopped, in two portions
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2lb loaf tin or one slightly larger if you've got such.2. Whisk togeether the eggs, honey, oil, sygar and vanilla.3. Sift and mix in the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, coffee, cocoa and flour until just combined. Fold in the courgettes and one portion of chocolate chunks.4. Pour into the tin, level off, scatter over the remaining chocolate and bake in the preheated oven for 1 to 1 hour 15 mins, lowering the temperature as necesary to prevent burning. Once a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, cool on a wire rack for 15 mins then turn out of the tin and cool completely.

As usual I'm sharing this bake with a few link ups. Lucy from Supergold Bakes hosts CookBlogShare for all culinary creations.
Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary is hosting Ren's Simple and in Season this month and it is certainly courgette season.
Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen hosts the Eat Your Greens challenge and of course courgettes are green before being enshrouded in chocolate cake mix.


34 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for a courgette recipe ( got a few growing in the garden) & your double chocolate chunk & courgette loaf looks delicious. Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! Let me know if you find any other particularly interesting recipes, I'm always grateful for inspiration =)

      Delete
  2. I love courgettes baked in cakes and this one with chocolate looks amazing!! It also reminds me that I've not made a courgette cake in a while and as you say it's definitely courgette season! I am impressed at how productive you've been this morning too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I much prefer sleep but if I'm not going to get any of that I like to get up and get on with things!

      Delete
  3. I love your photos in this post and I love the sound of a chocolate courgette cake. I've baked with courgette a few times and it keeps cakes wonderfully moist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I agree, it's lovely when a cake stays moist for so long, especially in summer when things tend to dry out quickly because of the heat.

      Delete
  4. A gorgeous recipe! Would you believe I saw this blog post shared on a Frugal Food board I follow on Facebook? :) Thank you for linking up with Simple and in Season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The news that you found it somewhere else is really good to hear too =)

      Delete
  5. Visiting you back via Sweet and Savoury Sundays! This looks so,delicious, in fact I have already pinned it when I saw it yesterday. Chocolate,and courgette, excellent combination, will be trying this, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad of you like it and I'd love to see or hear of the results if you do get to try it =)

      Delete
  6. Oh wow! Such a rich and moist looking chocolate cake. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a deliciously moist looking cake. Yours looks much better than the original!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! That means a lot =)

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous. I thought I had already commented, but obviuosly not. Yum. I love courgettes in cakes and often make a vegan version, in fact I made one at the weekend, but it is not decadent as yours :) Thank you so much for sharing #Eatyourgreens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, I thought you had too but no matter. Thank you, I'm looking forward to entering again hopefully on the future =)

      Delete
  9. I've never baked with courgette, it's on my to-do list though. This cake looks so good, I love those chocolate chunks on top! This has been featured as one of my favourites over at Sweet and Savoury Sunday. Stop by, grab a button and link up again with us this week. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much! I do hope you get to bake with courgettes soo - they make such lovely cakes =)

      Delete
  10. Awesome cake
    Looks great and sounds DELICIOUS
    I'm saving the recipe as I'm already planning to make it
    Thanks so much for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. If you do give it a go, I'd love to hear about/see the results =)

      Delete
  11. This cake is drool-worthy, looks so rich, moist and chocolaty. Will definitely try, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. Let me know the results if you do get to try it!

      Delete
  12. G'day and how chocolate-ly delicious does this look! I wish I could try it now!
    Cheers! Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very chocolatey and so worth it!

      Delete
  13. I was craving something like this! Looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I still have never made cake with courgette, I really need to because this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll love courgette cake I'm sure. And they see so easy to make and are so easy to adapt to your own favourite flavours.

      Delete
  15. Looks delish! Shared on Facebook 😊 #ibabloggers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious!! Sending some foodie love your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for putting this into metric. We (older) English struggle with metric as opposed to pounds and ounces, never mind cups! This makes it do-able!
    Olwynne

    ReplyDelete
  18. QUANTUM BINARY SIGNALS

    Professional trading signals sent to your mobile phone every day.

    Follow our trades NOW and make up to 270% a day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!