Saturday, 16 August 2014

Courgette Chocolate Chip Muffins with Pecan Crumble

Are you fed up of seeing courgette/zucchini recipes yet? I hope not because I have loads more to try and hopefully loads more to report back on. Also, as promised, I'm back with the sweet stuff. Admittedly it is another muffin recipe but these are really good.

I thought that this double chocolate courgette cake couldn't get any better, and these courgette fritters were incredibly enjoyable, but these muffins are something else. A new favourite in our house. Even my mum thought they were perfect. No kidding, she said 'these are perfect as the are'. This is the same lady who is so traditional she refuses to move from pounds and ounce to grams so I have to convert every recipe I suggest for her. 

Knowing that I would have some experimenting to do when Mum finally acquiesced and grew a couple of courgette plants for me I created a Pinterest board especially for all the things I might want to make. I've been working my way through them but the one I really couldn't wait to test was this quick bread from Sallys Baking Addiction.

Needless to say I fiddled about with Sally's recipe a bit. I couldn't help myself - it's an ailment that effects all food bloggers. So here is my version. 

I don't think I've ever had a muffin so light. Normally muffins have a strong and dense crumb to hold onto all manner of additions but these courgette muffins manage to be tender and pillowy soft while still holding onto a mass of grated courgette. The delicate structure almost oozes moisture for a state of lightly spiced bliss in every mouthful. I cut down the sugar slightly for a better balance and to allow the molten pockets of hand cut chocolate chunks to shine in a hit of sweet yet dark cocoa. And then there is the crumble topping. It's incrediable how butter, sugar and oats can come together into something you could quite happily bake on it's own and eat by the spoonful. I might just try that next time.

Baked in the morning before a shopping trip with my lovely mum, I added the pecans as an ode to her because they are her favourite. Peeping through the crumble they provide just enough contrast to wait is waiting underneath. Perfect my mum said. My only criticism is that the half batch disappeared far too fast.



print recipe

Courgette Chocolate Chip Muffins with Pecan Crumble
A light and moist muffin with a hint of spice and plenty of chocolate chips, topped with an oaty pecan crumble.
Ingredients
For the crumble topping:
  • 60g quick oats, or chopped normal oats
  • 80g dark soft brown sugar
  • 20g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 60g butter, cubed
  • 60g pecan pieces
For the muffins:
  • 1 large egg
  • 80g dark soft brown sugar
  • 80g granulated sugar
  • 120 ml oil
  • 1 cup grated courgette (approx 1 medium)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 190g plain flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp nutmeg
  • 130g dark chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 220 C/200 C fan and line a 12 hole muffin tray with muffin cases.2. For the crumble, rub the butter into the oats, sugar, flour and cinnamon then stir in the pecans. Set aside until needed.3. Mix together the edd, sugars, oil, courgette and vanilla in one bowl. In another sift together the dry ingredients then stir in the chocolate. 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until only just combined - the mixture will be lumpy. Divide between the cases then sprinkled over the crumble mixture. 5. Bake in the preheated oven for 5 mins then lower the temperature to 180 C/160 C fan and bake for another 13-15 mins until a skewer inserted into one of the muffins comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 5 mins then remove the muffins from the tray and finish cooling.

I'm sending this recipe off to CookBlogShare, Lucy's event over at Supergolden Bakes for any creations, and to Bookmarked Recipes by Jacqueline from Tinned Tomatoes because I knew as soon as I saw it on Sally's site that I had to make it.  


8 comments:

  1. These look great; I'll be making them ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I love the little flecks of green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I like colour in baked goods. My nephews thought differently though when they saw the brownies I made with courgettes in!

      Delete
  3. I'm with you........... right now, I can't get enough of courgettes and seem to be putting them in anything and everything. These look yum..... Love the combination of ingredients, especially the addition of pecans and oats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! Courgettes are so versatil aren't they? The two plants we have are sadly slowing down now but I'm really hoping we get just enough more to let me complete the projects I have at the top of the list in my mind.

      Delete
  4. These look marvellous! Thanks for entering them into Bookmarked Recipes.The roundup is now live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll be having a nosey at that round up over my lunch =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!