Sunday, 13 July 2014

Strawberry Daiquiri Traybake

I am never baking with strawberries again. Ever. It's far too dangerous, like a drug but worse. Think of the most addictive substance on earth, multiply it by a million and factor it by the love of your favourite food and you've just about got how I was with these cakes. Yes. Oh dear indeed.

I know I've mentioned many a time before how much I love strawberries such as in my Boozy Butterfly Cupcakes post- I'm not exaggerating when I say I love them as much as chocolate. My food bill goes up during the spring/summer months when British strawberries are available because there is no way I am going to go without them when they are in season seeing as I can't get them all year round. Take advantage while you can and all that. 

I'm not even ashamed to admit that I can and will easily eat a whle punnet of strawberries in one sitting. Strawberry containing foods are almost as bad and hence why after eating two pieces of this cake plus the trimmings, before I'd even finished taking the photos, I knew I had to get the rest of the batch out of the house ASAP. 
My usual method of ridding myself of whatever I have been going crazy with in the kitchen is to take it into university and the people in my office, as well as the guys in my friends' office, make short work of it. Sadly, one of these friends has a strawberry allergy and I felt mean at the thought of taking cake in when he couldn't have any. And yes, I did nearly cry when I found out about said allergy.

I tried taking it to the nearby care home, thinking the residents would enjoy a little treat. I've been meaning to take something for them anyway and this seemed like the perfect time. No such luck though as for health and safety reasons they can't accept gifts of food. Fair point, I hadn't thought of that and so I traipsed back to the house with my bag still full of dangerous (to me) goods. Luckily for me my housemate Lauren's friend was still ensconced at the table crafting away. Having heard her response to some of my earlier bakes I thought it was a safe bet she would happily take it off my hands, and thus save me. The practically begging plea for it to be removed from my presence probably wasn't necesssary but it didn't hurt!
  
I might possibly have made Lauren a bit good-naturedly jealous when I made this traybake because I didn't make it gluten free and so she couldn't have any, yet straberry daiquiris are one of her favourite cocktails. Even when my original idea for the topping didn't work it still tasted delcious. The base isn't your typically light and airy cake but never fear, i wouldn't be telling you about it if it was the dreaded heavy and stodgy. Simply it has enough body to hold it's own against all the moisture given by the creamy strawberry yoghurt and the fresh strawberries pulverised to just the right state to give little flecks of fruit throughout the cake. It helps to create a lagoon of strawberry heaven after sinking through the lusciously thick fruit layer on top - a layer sweet enough to prevent amusing faces and tangy enough to allow the lime zestiness to come through the bold strawberry hit. 
The alcoholic component was a drizzle type addition when the cake was fresh from the oven but no suprises seeing as I'm strawberry crazy, the vodka (or white rum as you wish) isn't the predominant flavour. I don't regret the gorging which meant I had to exorcise the house of these cakes - it was far too enjoyable for that. Summer in a slice of cake.


print recipe

Strawberry Daquiri Traybake
A deliciously moist cake which is super easy to make using strawberry yoghurt, fresh strawberries, limes and vodka to add flavour.
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 225g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 175g granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 115g unsalted butter, melted
  • 100g strawberry yoghurt
  • 100 ml milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • 100g fresh strawberries, pureed
To finish:
  • 3 tbsp vodka or white rum
  • 100g fresh strawberries, chopped
  • 1 heaped dsp caster sugar
  • 1 heaped tsp cornflour
  • Juice of half a lime
  • Icing sugar
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan. Line a 8" square cake tin.2. Combine the plain flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar in one bowl and the remaining cake ingredients in another. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, stir until evenly combined and transfer to the cake tin.3. Bake in the preheated oven for about 45 mins, adjusting t your own oven, until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set on a wire rack, gently poke all over with the cake tester and brush over the alcohol. Allow to cool completely.4. Prepare the fruit topping by placing the chopped strawberries, caster sugar and cornflour in a bowl and heating in the mircowave for about five minutes. Stir periodically and don't lett it boil over. Set aside to cool completely - I put mine in the freezer.5. When cool, trim the cake of the edges (if you want to) and spread over the fruit topping.6. Combine the lime juice with enough icing sugar to make a thick icing and drizzle over the straberry topping. Don't worry when it dissolves into the straberries.7. Slice into as many cubes as desired - I made 12.

I am so pleased with the flavour of these cakes that I'm sharing them with lots of challenges this month. First Baking With Spirit, created by Janine from Cake of the Week and guested hosted this month by me. I've chosen the theme of 'alcohol for parties' and as cocktails are often served at parties I think these cocktail inspired cakes fit. 
Next is my own Biscuit Barrel Challenge where the theme for July is 'in season fruits'. I'm not fussy as to what fits into a biscuit container so any biscuit, cookie or small cake will be accepted...enter this traybake!

Shaheen from Allotment 2 Kitchen hosts the Vegetable Palette where the current theme is 'summer reds' so strawberries are in.

I couldn't leave out Nayna from Simply Food's Let's Cook with Strawberries event.
Treat Petite is a joint venture between Stuart from Cakeyboi and this months host, Kat from The Baking Explorer who has chosen the theme of 'summer'. Strawberries will always mean summer for me!

Last but never least is Lucy's CookBlogShare link party over at Supergolden Bakes for any homemade creations.

Phew!!

20 comments:

  1. Love the look of this! Strawberry and lime is definitely a winning combination. I am with you on getting tempting things out of the house though - baking is dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I'm glad someone understands. I really did try but the temptation was far too much for me!

      Delete
  2. Hello!

    I saw your blog and thought it had great recipes and awesome pictures! I therefore would like to invite you to our new culinary website which has just started.

    This is how it works in short. TastyQuery.com is a website for food bloggers and their fans allowing them to automatically collect recipes from your food blog. It’s a large database of links to recipes on food blogs. Everyone can join us for free.

    For more please visit:
    http://tastyquery.com

    TastyQuery.com is an English version of our main website called “Mikser Kulinarny”, founded in Poland. “Mikser Kulinarny” has a large audience (over 2 mln unique visitors monthly) and with TastyQuery.com we want to repeat that success and drive thousands of new visitors to your food blog.

    In case of any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

    Best regards
    Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll remember to take a look when I get a moment.

      Delete
  3. Wow Laura, these look awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with Vegetable Palette. I am just sorry that your friend did not get to try any because of the allergy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will try and make it up to her another time =)

      Delete
  4. What pretty little cakes - I love strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooohhhh...... I can almost taste them! They look divine. I would have given up on thoughts of giving them away as soon as they were cut...... stuff the implications! Love the pics too..... so vibrant......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! It was really hard to give them away but as a benefit, now I get to bake again!

      Delete
  6. Wow these look (and sound!) incredible. I'm with you on the strawberry addiction. My local greengrocer makes a fortune from me during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you? Yep, I know that one. My food bill is much less come autumn and winter.

      Delete
  7. A 'lagoon' of strawberries sounds pretty darn good to me! I love the cases you've used too. Wow, I didn't even know it was possible to be allergic to strawberries! My current favourite way to eat strawberries is in a crumble - have you tried it? With rhubarb aswell it's even better! And totally means you can justify crumble in the summertime, added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it but I know I would LOVE a strawberry crumble. And now I really want one! I might have to retract that never baking with strawberries again thing =) the cases are from Poundland - I wandered in looking for something else and as soon as I spotted them. Knew there was no hope of me leaving them on the shelf!

      Delete
  8. Oh please, for bake's sake, never stop cooking with strawberries! This dessert looks Ah-mazing! :-) So delicious and so yummy-looking!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, I'm not very good at sticking to my claims of promises where baking is concerned so don't be surprised if the is another strawberry recipe on here soon =D

      Delete
  9. Cake and strawberry Daiquiri all in one - sounds an absolute dream :)

    Angela - Garden Tea Cakes and Me

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love strawberries, this tray bake sounds very yummy. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure and I hope to do so in the near future =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!