Sunday, 20 July 2014

Fresh Raspberry Swirl Loaf Cake

I think raspberries and I have finally made friends. I don't have the same love affair with raspberries as I do with strawberries and up until now I've always been left a bit disappointed with them. No more though which is why I'm pretty thankful to this cake.

I spend quite a lot of time being thankful about cake if I'm honest with myself. I should be showing the same devotion to fruit and exercise, you know, the healthier things in life but then I know which ones I'd rather give my undivided attention. Cake after all gives so much more back than a few vitamins and no, I'm not talking about calories. There is no room for talk like that on this blog.

Don't get me wrong, the rest of my diet behind all the sugar is actually pretty healthy. I rarely eat fast food or takeaways, don't like the taste of alcohol (unles it's in food), don't drink fizzy pops, choose whole fruit over juices, eat the all important variety of fruit and veg, avoid sugary (and delicious) cereals unless I'm ill, dry fry or use the teeniest smear of oil..... you get the picture. If it wasn't for the amount of cakes/biscuits/chocolate I ate I would be one of those very healthy people. Who could also easily find things in their cupboards because they haven't fit them in amongst the cake tins.

Or maybe not. There is the exercise thing as well. It's not as if I don't try. I just find it ever so boring. Even sports where you supposedly get the benefits of team spirit don't appeal and yet with my height I would in theory at least be good at netball or basketball. I say in theory because I have gone through secondary school where my PE teachers despaired at my lack of ability. I'd rather be in the kitchen.

I've even said to myself that I need to take up running. Note that I didn't say I was considering taking up running - I knew it would never happen. It's not as if I don't try. I walk two miles everyday between uni and the house, hula hoop and do squats. Have you any idea how puffed it is possible to get doing squats?!!! But like I say, the benefits from cake appeal far more.

Cake can bring comfort, joy, satisfaction. It can be a talking point, an introduction, some common ground. A thank you, a congratulation or a token of appreciation. If I could say I had a favourite time for cake it would be classic tea and cake. This could be with family or friends or simply on my own but whichever way, I love it. 

This example is a great success story. It could quite easily feature as all of the things mentioned above. Laden with moisture there is no chance of getting a moutful of anything but springy blissful crumb folded around piquant crushed raspberries that lead a spirited samba across your tongue to the consummating  elementary drizzle of creamy white chocolate. All taste buds be satisfied.


print recipe

Fresh Raspberry Swirl Loaf Cake
Wonderfully moist and quick to mix, tangy raspberries flavour the cake and provide a pretty pink swirled interior finished with white chocolate.
Ingredients
  • 250g plain flour
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 0.25 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 large egg
  • 125g granulated sugar
  • 50g dark soft brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice mixed with 225 ml milk
  • 80ml sunflower or olive oil
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 175g raspberries, frozen then crushed so the 'bobble' are loose
  • 50g white chocolate, melted
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin. 2. In one bowl sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon together. In another bowl, or jug, whisk together the remaining ingredients apart from the raspberries and chocolate. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined - don't overmix.3. Pour half the mixture into the tin and layer on top half the crushed raspberries. Repeat with the remaiing portions then swirl together. 4. Bake in the reheated oven for 50-60 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin on a wire rack.5. When completely cool remove from the tin and lining and drizzle with the melted chocolate to finish.

Credit to Sally's Baking Addiction for the recipe I adapted.


As usual I can't resisit sharing this post with a couple of challenges. Alphabakes, this month hosted by Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker who alternates with Caroline from Caroline Makes, has the letter R theme so my raspberries make this loaf cake count.

Also, because I used raspberries which I had bought when I spied them reduced I'm entering this into this months Credit Crunch Munch hosted by Sarah at Maison Cupcake on behalf of Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and Camilla at Fab Food 4 All.


24 comments:

  1. What delicious combination of flavours in this cake and with the white chocolate topping, who could ask for more? Thank you for entering #CreditCrunchMunch:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so moist and fruity Laura - love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must make this cake this week! Looks amazing.

    I know what you mean about exercise. I go through phases. I like 30 Day Shred DVD because it's only 20 minutes and is interval training so you don't get bored, but at the moment it's way too hot to do that much physical activity. I go swimming cause it's apparently very good for you and somehow I haven't got bored of it yet - maybe it's because I am too busy concentrating on not hitting other people in my very cramped local pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to go swimming but I'm far too shy! It was torture during lessons at school but I know that if I could get over myself that I would enjoy it. Maybe I should look into a women's only session but then I'd still get embarrassed if someone from uni recognised me. I'm so daft sometimes.

      Delete
  4. This cake looks amazing....so moist and yummy! I'm like you as my love for sweets is my downfall, especially coconut, lemon, and chocolate!! And I even try to bake good but most of the healthy stuff doesn't tastes as good as your old fashioned sugary sweets.
    Julie@ Sweet and Spicy Monkey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. The intentions are there but there is a reason why traditional baking is still so much bigger than healthified versions!

      Delete
  5. I am definitely a raspberry girl and adore them in cake sponge, so this hits the mark for me! I empathise on the exercise thing.... It can be such a struggle to fit in to a busy world........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! I'm just too busy...uni, baking, blogging, writing... It all takes time!

      Delete
  6. I. want a piece. Soooooo. Bad. :P

    Raspberries for me are how strawberries are for you. I will eat them frozen, in sorbet, in cereal bars... I've never had them in cake (I'm missing out!), and I wish Ben and Jerry's did Raspberry Shortcake as well as Strawberry because that would be beautiful. Also, I grew up on raspberry ripple and those screwball things with raspberry sauce and gum at the bottom. Raspberry milkshake, raspberry yoghurt... Raspberry ice cream sauce... Aww man, now I need food! *rummages through cupboards*

    I can't look at this cake without drooling! It looks gorgeous! Exercise? Pssshh. If you're better at baking than sport it makes sense to bake because otherwise you're wasting valuable and essential skills and time. :P Well we all need to eat, right?

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww MJ I'm glad you like it. You should you yourself - its soooooo easy and I won't tell anyone if you eat it warm from the oven! I like your excuse of not wasting valuable time and skills too =)

      Delete
  7. That is one gorgeous-looking cake! Looks to-die-for! I LOVE raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, I love the flavours. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love raspberries and your cake looks so inviting. I really wish I could have had a slice or two with my tea earlier. Love the white chocolate drizzle on top. Great photos too. Thanks for joining in AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much Ros =)if I could have brought some over to you I would have gladly done so.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for adding this cake to Credit Crunch Munch this month. It looks very tempting indeed!

    The round up is now published at 24 Thrifty Summer Recipe Ideas and next month's event is being hosted by Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hooping to join in again this month - it's a really good challenge.

      Delete
  11. I’d be happy to eat this cake from a Tupperware container with a fork. It looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you. And, well, I've been known to do that from time to time!

      Delete
  12. +$3,624 profit last week...

    Subscribe For 5 Star verified winning picks on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL + Anti-Vegas Smart Money Signals!

    ReplyDelete
  13. New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Plan to Help Dieters Lose 15 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!