Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Double Chocolate Cake Pop Truffles or Petit Fours

Gosh I'm tired tonight. For that reason I'm going to try and make this a quick one but we all know that once I get talking about cake I can't stop. Remember this cake? I think that was the most pictures I put into a post which made for a lot of talking. So I'll try and get on with it - I made cake pops. Except they don't have sticks so they are more like chocolate box chocolates. But made of cake. Cake pop truffles!

I have actually been here before with these Almond Cake Pop Truffles which were born out of a disaster yet turned out rather delicious. Thinking about those again has made me realise I've used white chocolate both times (and again in these proper peanut butter rocky road cake pops)  - I swear it is a coincidence and certainly no bad thing! These truffles aren't the result of needing to use up another gone wrong cake. Quite the opposite in fact as they are made from slices of this hugely successful Chocolate Chilli Loaf Cake which I had stored in the freezer for future use.
I had always intended to use the slices I couldn't eat for cake pops but because I find making such things too fiddly to do often I didn't actually expect to ever get round to making them. A couple of weekends ago though I was inspired by the lovely sun to get as many things made as possible and so the leftover cake got put to use. It's probably a good thing I made this cake ages ago because if I had made it recently I would have had an army of people at uni waiting to eat it meaning no leftovers and none of these highly addictive treats would have been made.


When I say addictive, I actually mean enslaving. I don't know just how much of the mixture I ate while rolling out the little globes of beauty and if I did I know I would be ashamed. Then there was the melted chocolate. This is precisely the reason why I don't much like to bake with chocolate despite chocolate cake being one of my favourites. I eat too many of the ingredients.

So yes, where there should have been at least 15 there ended up being only 10 cake pop truffles. I considered it a victory leaving them where they were in the cupboard until I could take them home and share them with my parents. Dad loved them despite hating chilli (he lies, he eats chilli con carne too readily to hate it) and Mum wanted to eat more despite complaining of the hint of peppery heat from the chilli powder in the original cake. Typical parents - you've got to love them.

 The chocolate chilli cake was fabulous on it's own but crumble it up (and eat some) and mix with the vanilla smooth creaminess that only white chocolate can bring (and eat some more) and the flavours of chilli, milk chocolate and it's blonde couterpart meld together into something new. Something exciting and indulgent and provocative. Provocative to eat just one more.
 


print recipe

Double Chocolate Cake Pop Truffles
Highly addictive chocolate cake pops smoothered in white chocolate and looking like they should be presented in a gift box for a special occasion.
Ingredients
  • 200g chocolate cake, crumbled (chilli flavoured is good)
  • 100g white chocolate, melted + at least 150g more melted to coat
  • Sprinkles of choice
Instructions
1. Mix the cake crumbs and 100g chocolate in a bowl. Divide into 15 balls and chill on a plate in the fridge.2. When the cake balls have cooled and set, drop each one in turn into the second portion of melted chocolate using a spoon or spatula to coat. 3. Lift out using a fork and set on a baking paper lined tray or silicone mat. Add sprinkles while still wet and leave to set and harden.

Altough cake pops aren't actually French I'm hoping Ness from JibberJabberUK will see them as petit fours and so will allow them into her Love Cake challenge this month where the theme is French cakes.

Anne from Anne's Kitchen is hosting the No Waste Food Challenge this month on behalf of Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary and because I used up some cake I had stored in the freezer so it didn't go dry before I could eat it fresh, I'm entering these truffles there too.


12 comments:

  1. I find cake pops too fiddly and avoid making them at all cost. They are however great for using up leftover cake (is there such thing?) and/or cake that's gone wrong. I love the way you've decorated them and your photos are beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I always mind I like the idea and look of cake pops but when I think about making them myself I find they aren't for me so I know what you mean. This type of thing is the closest I'll go to them - much easier =)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhh........ so cute! I love the idea of cake pops as truffles and avoiding the stick (which somehow seems completely pointless). These would make a great present!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Unless you're having a big display of cake pops, the stick is just a waste!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for entering this month’s No Waste Food Challenge – I love cake pops though not the mess of making them! Well done on making them look so pretty!

    Anne’s Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you very much! I'm not a fan of the mess either - I much prefer to simply eat them!

      Delete
  4. So much better than cake pops! Of course I will let them into Love Cake and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! This is a fantastic way to use up leftover cake :) Thanks for sharing with the no waste food challenge

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, these look very addictive. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!