Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Chocolate Mud Loaf Cake with Creme Fraiche Icing

This post is a week late but that's ok because I'm still on the high a little bit from what I'm celebrating. You see this year at uni, my placement year where I've been working on research projects linked with melon pectins and probiotics in bread, has well and truly had lots of stresses. May saw the exam and major hand in date and Tuesday last week was results day. I didn't expect to get the results I did (they were really good) and I wanted to make a cake to celebrate. This was that cake.

I felt like making one of the many recipes I had pinned on Pinterest and I knew it had to be chocolate (celebration = chocolate of course) so after repinning lots of recipes to the board I use to help me decide what to make, this one from Karen at Lavender and Lovage caught my eye. Karen is a lovely lady with lovely recipes to match - I've tried this Guinness Cake of hers before and it went down very well at home. This time though, it was chocolate fudge that got into my head and would not leave until baked. 
 
Everyone is very supportive in our office at uni (ok, so placement students aren't supposedd to have offices but I managed to acquire myself a desk in the best one) and there were lots of congratulations being shared about that day for me and the final years who everyone knows. I had promised I would bring cake in if my baking experiment went ok so I was very eager for it to go right. I almost didn't take it in. Almost. Karen's cake looks far prettier than my version - I don't think the loaf shape, which I had an urge to use, could take the weight of the mixture and there was some sinkage. 

Even after I had tried a piece for myself and loved it I was worried nobody else would but I took a risk. It was a good job I did because it disappeared very quickly. Very quickly. It turns out that collapsing cake can be a good thing - it creates mud cake! One of those happy accidents where resulting in the most appetising of dishes with an ugly name that had people forgetting that it wasn't even lunch time yet as they reached into the cake box.

Fiercely chocolatey with a sensationaly moist interior and outrageous but beautiful dense crumb, this is practically the ever-popular brownie in loaf cake form. The tangy yet sweet chocolate creme fraiche fudge icing sets off what lies beneath proving a harmonious contrast while the fudge pieces are a splendid accompaniment to add that final bit of fun.

Celebrations are all about fun. Now, what can I celebrate next?!


print recipe

Chocolate Mud Loaf Cake with Creme Fraiche Icing
An extra chocolately fudgy and deliciously dense mud cake with an almost brownie like texture and topped with chocolate creme fraiche icing and vanilla fudge. Uses the quick all in one method too!
Ingredients
For the cake:
  • 105g creme fraiche (half fat is fine)
  • 100g soft margarine
  • 150g soft dark brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 115g plain flour
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
To decorate:
  • 100g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 1 heaped tsp golden syrup
  • 50g creme fraiche (half fat is fine)
  • 75g fudge, chopped into cubes
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 2 lb loaf tin.2. Place all of the cake ingredients in a bowl (sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa) and use and electric mixer to mix everything until evenly combined, scraping down the sides as necessary. This should take 1-2 minutes.3. Pour into the lined loaf tin, level then make a shallow groove down the centre. Bake in th preheated oven for 55-60 mins until a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn the oven off with the cake inside for 5 mins then remove and cool on a wire rack.3. For the icing, melt the chocolate and golden syrup using your preferred method (low microwave setting or in a bowl over hot water) and then mix in the creme fraiche. Beat until smooth and combined. 5. Spread onto the loaf cake and and decorate with the fudge pieces.

Recipe adapted from Karen at Lavender and Lovage

Seeing as I've had this recipe bookmarked on Pinterest for some time now I'm submitting it to Bookmarked Recipes run by Jac from Tinned Tomatoes. It's the second recipe I've loved by Karen from Lavender and Lovage and I know there are many more I want to try.

Other chocolate treats you might like...
Chocolate Traybake with Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Icing
Cherry and Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake 
5 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Gluten Free Fudgy Brownies

13 comments:

  1. I can feel the fat adhering to my thighs as I read this... How delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, keep the thought in your head that it uses half fat creme fraiche....so you can have two slices instead of one!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your results Laura! It's always a relief to get to the end AND do really well! And lovely cake to celebrate..... looks really fudgy. Strangely, I made a chocolate loaf cake this evening too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really was such a relief. There are more results to come in September but I'm hanging onto these for now =) and good timing on both our parts I think!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your results! That looks like one seriously fudgy cake. I find it's often the cakes that I worry are rubbish that actually turn out the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, the surprise of it turning out well or being so popular when you have convinced yourself it won't have worked can be rather nice sometimes.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Laura, that's great news and a nice reward for all your hard work. I love dense squidgy cakes like this, I bet it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Choclette! Everybody seemed to think so - I was glad nobody thought it looked odd like I did when I first sliced into it.

      Delete
  5. That looks so moist and just amazing Laura. BTW congratulations on your results!

    Thanks for submitting your cake to Bookmarked Recipes. The roundup is now live :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh that is so much my sort of cake - I think I will need to nab a desk in your office :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad you like it. My office has become rather popular in the last few months which may have something to do with the amount of baked goods being brough in!

      Delete
  7. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER get back...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!