Monday, 28 July 2014

Cheddar and Spring Onion Courgette Fritters

I have something a little bit different for you today - something savoury! I know I'm all about the sugar normally but these were so good that I wanted to share them with you. Plus, I have a confession to make. I really want to add more savoury recipes to this blog. Truth be told I want to add more recipes full stop but these things called uni and tiredness get in the way somewhat. Also, I think I need to practice and improve my food photography a lot more before I make a big push to add more savoury things. 
I know I've come a long way since I started (let's all have a laugh at this post for a moment) and recently I've been trying even harder but the thing with the savoury dishes I make is that I'm more interested in eating and enjoying my meal then taking good photos of it. Then there is the presentation. Cakes and biscuits etc are so much easier to manipulate and get looking pretty. Yet when I made these fritters all I really wanted to do was plonk everything on a plate and dig in. I knew they were going to be good.

After discovering Pinterest last summer I very quickly saw how versatile courgettes/zucchini are in food. Raw, roasted, fried, with pasta, with couscous, in brownies, in cakes, in muffins....I'm sure you get the idea. When sowing time came round this year I begged and nagged and finally got Mum to grow two plants for me. Our first harvest was last week and after reading through my collection of suitable recipes I chose this one to adapt, because of course I couldn't leave it as it was. 
Super easy to put together I was quickly enjoying the delicious result.  The spring onions, normally a gentle barely their essence really shone in conjunction with the mature cheddar by their side and the courgettes made sure everything was happy together in a soft moreish cushion of texture. And when I say moreish I mean it. One more disappeared while I was washing up and another with my supper. It was only the thought that I wanted some for my lunch the next day that stopped me from eating the lot!


print recipe

Cheddar and Spring Onion Courgette Fritters
Full of cheddar and onion flavour these super quick fritters are perfect for using up some of those summer courgettes.
Ingredients
  • 250g courgettes, grated and excess water squeezed out
  • 4 spring onions, sliced
  • Choice of herbs/spices (I ued parsley and nutmeg)
  • Pepper, to season
  • 1 egg
  • 30g plain flour
  • 50g mature cheddar, grated
  • Minimal oil, to fry
Instructions
1. Combine all the ingredients except the oil and mix well.2. Heat a dibble of oil in a frying pan over a high heat and drop in dsp scoops of mixture. Turn the heat to medium-low and spread the scoops out a little making sure not to overcrowd the pan.3. Fry for 2-3 mins on each side then keep warm on a plate while you cook the rest, topping up the oil when necessary.4. Serve hot, warm or cold how you prefer - fish and salad is a good combination.

There are a couple of challenges I'd like to share these fritters with. Courgettes and spring onions are in abundance right now so are perfect for Ren's Simple and in Season, this month hosted by Sally from My Custard Pie. Also, Nadine from Juggle Mum is hosting Extra Veg this month on behalf of Helen from Fuss Free Flavours and Michelle from Utterly Scrummy Food For Families. I reckon there is an extra portion of veg in each serving.

8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about a dominance of sweet stuff..... somehow it's so much easier to photograph and share! I have the same problem and keep meaning to sure more savoury stuff. I have been intending to make courgette fritters too as (yet another) way to use up our abundance of courgettes creatively. These ones look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that, I wondered if I was being lazy! And thank you, I'm glad you like them. If you have any moe courgette ideas then I'd love to hear them =)

      Delete
  2. I hear you! I'm usually all about the sweet but I love that you have done a savoury recipe for #ExtraVeg. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! I hope to do so again in future months =)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for entering Simple and in Season. The round up is now published - love this light summery recipe. Perfect for a mid-week supper or a starter with drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'll pop over and have a look at all the other entries now. Good idea, I never thought of them as a starter with drinks =)

      Delete
  4. We discovered wild Spring Onions in our area, We had these tonight with BBQ Chicken, OMG ! These are amazing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm and SO glad you enjoyed them. I can imagine them being lovely with bbq chicken - good shout!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!