Sunday, 27 July 2014

Biscuit Barrel July 14 Round Up

Scorching July is almost over and with the heat that we've had I'm surprised any of you has had the desire to bake but the kitchen fun has continued and there are some gorgeous treats in the Biscuit Barrel this time round.

This month it has been all about in season fruits and it was nice to see what you had created with he bounty that is provided every year. Most of these fruits are still in season over the next month so you can still take advantage and recreate your favourite entry.

First up is Kate from the Gluten Free Alchemist with these Courgette Cherry Cupcakes. Taking advantage of the abundance of courgettes that were growing in her garden Kate combined them with Kentish cherries to make a juicy, fruit and moist cupcake which is the perfect accompaniment for a sweet and creaming icing. And of course, the cherry on top! 

Janine from Cake of the Week had me at Strawberry with these Strawberry Surprise Cupcakes. I may have mentioned before just how much I love strawberries so it's no shocker that these appeal to me, though I'm not sure much of the white chocolate icing or how many of the strawberries intended to be hidden inside the vanilla sponge would have made it to where they were supposed to be.

My own offering is squares of this Strawberry Daiquiri Traybake which I've had the idea in my head for ages. I enjoyed it so much I'd eaten two pieces before I'd even finished the photos and had to get rid of the rest of it ASAP. The recipient loved the moist sponge flavoured with both strawberry yoghurt and pureed strawberries and topped with a lime infused icing.




Strawberries also feature in these Vegan Strawberry Cakes by Shaheen from Allottment 2 Kitchen. These adorable mini loaf cakes feature a half strawberry nestling in the top of the cake to remind you of what is inside and how yummy the cake is which awaits.



Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog has also used a red fruit but something different this time with these Red Gooseberry Cakes. Light texture and sweet to balance with the tart gooseberry hidden inside each one these are a very pretty bake which are easily frozen and lose none of their appeal after defrosting.

Stuart of Cakeyboi fame tried out a flavour cmbiation he had been considering with these Cherry Banana Mini Pies. I wouldn't have thought of the combination myself but having seen Stuart's recipe and photos I would quite like to rectify that.A lattice top encases a thick cherry filling with chuncks of banana, allowing just enough of a glimpse of what is inside to make you want to grab one and bite straight in.

Our final entry is by Alexandra from The Lass in the Apron who has made these rather ingenious Raspberry Cointreau Tarts. Using a liqueur infused chocolate pastry to hold a liqueur custard filling, the raspberries are the crowning glory on these summery delights. They would make the perfect finish to a relaxed summer meal.

That's it for now and I hope you've enjoyed perusing the gorgeous fruit goodies on offer. Come back soon for the August installment of the Biscuit Barrel challenge - I'm already dreaming up entries but who knows which one(s) will get made!

12 comments:

  1. Great round up! It's always good to see what to do with fruits that are in season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, some really good ideas here =)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for hosting and the round up, they all LOOK AND SOUND lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't summer marvellous with all these luscious coloured fruits? I keep meaning to bake strawberries into a cake, but still haven't managed it, but as it's so popular I might up my game. All of these bakes look so pretty - do you think I could reach into your biscuit barrel and take one of each?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be very welcome to one of each! I'll put the kettle on and join you.

      Delete
    2. How pretty all the entries are with their glowing summer fruit! Summer is such a happy-looking time, don't you think?

      Delete
    3. Definitely, completely agree =)

      Delete
  4. This is a beautiful round up. I love bakings with fresh fruit. They all look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's hard to choose a favourite isn't it?

      Delete
  5. Wow..... the colours and flavours of summer in a biscuit barrel! So vibrant..... So tempting..... please send over a big tin full in time for breakfast!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!