Tuesday, 10 June 2014

Strawberries and Champagne Boozy Butterfly Cupcakes

I'm not entirely sure what insppired this recipe but as soon as the idea came into my head I knew I needed to make them. 
You all know that need-want versus need-need thing? Well making these was definitely a need-need thing. My desires must've been a prediction of the future because Strawberries and Champagne Boozy Butterfly Cupcakes are definitely a winner.
I don't even like alcohol. Not to drink anyway. I can't say why but I simply don't like the taste of it. Put it in cake or chocolates though and I'm all over it. I may have mentioned this fact once or twice before hence my recipes for Chocolate Whisky Bundt Cake and Rum & Raisin Muffins amongst several others. These butterfly cakes are so good that they may just be my new favourite alcohol-in-cake recipe.
And they make use of the food that is my all time favourite right next to chocolate - strawberries! Alright so there are only strawberries in the jam to keep things simple but if I'd had any homemade strawberry jam left over from last year I would've used that but it was far too popular for that to happen so I had to make do with the M&S champagne infused strawberry jam Mum gave me from a seasonal hamper she got last year. Oh, the struggles!
You can just about see the jam peeking out here where I got a bit enthusiastic with filling the cupcakes.
I tried really hard but in the end this one had to be sacrificed before it's time.
An all in one sponge mix made with a buttermilk created from mixing the champagne and milk gives the most exquisitely tender cake capable of holding all the desirable moisture of a perfect bake in balance with the heavy dousing of more champagne fresh out of the oven. Filled with such a flavourful strawberry jam, the butterflies each rest on a rose of champagne cloud buttercream whipped into a frenzy of ethereality to finish. It was never a question of willpower.

Enjoy. You're welcome.


print recipe

Strawberries and Champagne Boozy Butterfly Cupcakes
An amazingly moist classic cake drenched in champagne, filled with strawberry jam with a twist and finished with a swirl of infused buttercream and butterfy wings.
Ingredients
For the cupcakes:
  • 120g soft margarine or softened butter
  • 145g caster sugar
  • 185g self-raising flour
  • 95 ml champagne or wine mixed with 30ml milk + extra champagne/wine to drizzle
  • 2 large eggs
  • Strawberry jam (with champagne if you can get it) to fill 
For the buttercream:
  • 75g butter, softened
  • 150g icing sugar
  • 2 tbsp champagne or wine
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a muffin tray with 12 cupcake cases.2. Add all the cake ingredients to a bowl and mix with an electric mixer for 60-90 seconds until well blended. Scrape down the sides as required.3. Divide the mixture between the cases and bake in the preheate oven for 15-20 mins until a cake tester inserted into the middle of one of the cakes comes out clean. 4. Immediately on removing the cakes from the ove, gently poke the cakes with a thin skewer and brush the tope liberally with champagne or wine. Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.5. When cold, use a sharp knife to slice a circle of cake from the top of each one. slice in half and set aside. Fill the hole with a little jam.6. For the buttercream, beat the butter with an electric whisk until really creamy then gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar followed by the champagne/wine. Beat on high speed until really light and fluffy then pipe onto the cupcakes, covering the jam and top with the halved cake circles to create wings.

Adapted from My Little Afternoon Tea Book by M&S

I'm sharing this recipe with a few baking challenges this month. Initially the recipe was my Random Recipes choice, selected from M&S' My Little Afternoon Tea Book (gorgeous book full of things I want to make...as usual). I'm hoping Dom from Belleau Kitchen will still accept my entry even though I changed the recipe slightly by adding alcohol. I couldn't help myself!
Next is Baking with Spirit, created by Janine at Cake of the Week but currently guest hosted by Craig at The Usual Saucepans who has tasked us with reinventing a classic.
My own baking challenge, the Biscuit Barrel, has a summer theme this month and as these cakes contain strawberry jam and strawberries are the most important thing about summer for me, I'm entering them.
Hopefully Karen from Lavender and Lovage, who shares the hosting duties for Tea Time Treats with Janie from The Hedgecombers, will believe me that the buttercream is supposed to be in a rose shape so they fit in with the June theme of flowers. 
Four Seasons Food has a red theme for June. The strawberry jam is definitely red which is also my favourite colour! FSF is a joint venture between Louisa from Eat Your Veg and Anneli from Delicieux but is guest hosted this month by Tina at The Spicy Pear.

16 comments:

  1. Oh my god. These couldn't be anymore indulgent! These would be amazing served at a fancy event... or you know, just to eat all to yourself alone in the evening :-) Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And definitely, sometimes indulgence is called for, occasion or no occasion necessary.

      Delete
  2. When I saw the title I had to visit immediately to see what these are about and wow they are amazing. I love the combination of champagne and strawberries and well done on all those blog challenges too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much =) if I had the time I would be baking a separate recipe for each but sadly I can't though I bet my taste testers wouldn't mind!

      Delete
  3. Wow - these look delicious! Love the addition of the champagne as well. Thanks for entering Baking with Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So moist-looking. I love cupcakes with hidden fillings. These sound delicious.... champagne and strawberries are definitely a perfect summer combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really pleased with them - it is probably a good thing I didn't put fresh strawberries in there because I would have kept eating them before they reached the cake mix =)

      Delete
  5. Wow they are so pretty and as far as I'm concerned anything with booze in is ok by me ! Thanks for entering random recipes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, glad you like them and so glad I could enter random recipes this month )

      Delete
  6. These are adorable! Very posh cupcakes indeed! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I hadn't thought of them like that!

      Delete
  7. Mouth-watering! The only time I tried boozy-cupcakes was when I made tiramisú cuppies and I added some coffee liquor inside. But these ones...these are a MUST TRY! The way you described them makes me crave for some cupcakes right now! Hehe.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad you like them! Your tiramisu cupcakes sound lovely as well, like something I'd really enjoy!

      Delete
  8. Omg these sound and look amazing. It's 11.30pm but these are making me drool! The buttermilk made with champagne is a really smart idea that I will have to try. I've yet to use buttermilk in anything, but I see no reason why my first buttermilk creation shouldn't be boozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, if you're going to try something you might as well go the whole way and you are so good ith alcohol in cakes after all! I must confess though, the alcohol buttermilk was a happy accident but it did work so well!

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!