Saturday, 24 May 2014

Honey and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Let me jump right in there with a warning that this post might contain more moaning and oddites about my life at the moment than what it does about these cakes. I'm not sure how it is going to pan out so please bare (bear?) with me. If  you find that prospect boring you should perhaps read maybe the next couple of paragraphs then scroll down to the recipe. Yes, still head to the recipe because if you like honey these little cakes are delicious. Their simplicity is their sterling character. Not every cupcake needs a mountain of buttercream on top.

They were born out of a desire to make something with a little jar of locally made grown sourced honey that I was easily persuaded to buy from one of the PhDs one lunch time. Yes, it was expensive at £2 for a such a little jar but I was immediately taken with it so that signified to me that it needed to be bought. And used in a cake. Naturally.

I used to say that I'm not a massive fan of honey, only liking the taste in baked goods, but that tiny jar of wholesome sweetness might just have changed that. We shall see. I can bake more cakes if I feel the desire to test that theory. If you are already a self-professed honey fan then please make these immediately. If you need convincing then please make them immediately anyway. They are really easy, involve very little faffing about and have just the perfect honey flavour to be developed without being overpowering. The ideal introduction.

A soft, moist crumb surrounds chunks of milk chocolate delivering a beautiful essence of willow blossom honey in every bite. Gentle and delicate flavours mingle with the pools of molten cocoa richness when fresh from the oven while still holding their own against the necessity of an intricate swirl of honey buttercream icing. 

I was tempted by the thought of that addition but I really wanted the honey to shine through. Quality ingredients ought to be able to speak for themselves. All that is required is an extra teaspoon of honey allowed to run over the top of each cupcake immediatey on removal from the oven, and a few chunks of remaining chocolate added for that finishing touch. If you have any remaing chocolate that is. I might have deprived these cupcakes from having a heavier chocolate load. Not that I believe they suffered for it.

It has been a funny old week. I feel like lots has been going on yet at the same time not very much. I've realised quite a few things (besides my liking for honey and chocolate chip cakes) and been quite emotional about others. I'd like to give a special shout out to Jodie from Jo Bakes Jo Blogs. Aside from having a big variety of gorgeous recipes on her blog and the photos to match, Jo is a lovely lady who has helped me almost double my likers on my Facebook page. I even commented that I don't normally get soppy over things other than baking, but seeing my likers go up so quickly from Jodie's sharing of my page made me go slightly mushy. Although I absolutely 100% blame Jodie for me now wanting a waffle maker. A dangerous desire when I have an Amazon voucher which will cover it sat in my inbox.

So there you have it. A yummy yet simple recipe for Honey and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes and next to no moaning. I thought I would be venting this time round but true to form as soon as I started talking about cake I could not stop. And really, who wants to hear about the disdain of reverting back to tights after a few days of sun, the gutting feeling when  you present your mother with a piece of perfect Millionaire's Shortbread only for her to not get excited at the first taste, NMRs coming back showing nothing useful or the desperation felt when you want to get the right sample concentration for the Seliwanoff's test to actually work when there are baked goods to be spoken of? It's all good.



print recipe

Honey and Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
A simplistic cupcake infused with locally sourced honey and studded with creamy milk chocolate. No icing required.
Ingredients
  • 45g softened butter
  • 40g caster sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 45g runny honey + extra for finishing
  • 90g plain flour
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder 
  • 40g yoghurt
  • 60g milk chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and place 6 cupcake cases in a mufin tin.2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy then beat in the egg a little at a time followed by the honey. Mix in a little of the measured flour if the mixture threatens to curdle.3. Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture alternating with the yoghurt, then fold in most of the chocolate. 4. Divide between the cases and bake for 20 mins in the preheated oven until a cake tester inserted into the middle comes out clean. 5. As soon as the cupcakes come out of the oven spoon a little more honey on top of each one and add a few chocolate chips. Cool on a wire rack if you wait that long.

Recipe adapted from UKTV.

I'm sharing these cupcakes with a couple of challenges this month. First of all is Alphabakes where Ros from The More Than Occasional Baker is hosting this month, alternating with Caroline from Caroline Makes. The chosen letter for May is E and these cupcakes use English honey. Other honey can be used, most supermarket ones being blends from the EU which would still technically count but it is always nice to use produce from your own country.

Secondly is Shop Local run by Elizabeth from Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. I have been wanting to enter Elizabeth's challeneg right from the start but it is quite hard for me to get hold of locally produced things even though there are so many farms in Yorkshire. My purchase of this honey was part of an attempt though to use more locally sourced things when I do get the chance. I wish the arable farm up the road sold its own flours because I'd be there all the time.

8 comments:

  1. Fantasic! I loved this post, every single mouthwatering word of it and I completely understand about the tights/cold weather and how gutting it is when a family member isn't nearly as excited as a bake as you think they should be. My husband is a constant pin in my balloon in that department - what do you MEAN you can't taste such and such flavours! Bah! :D Your cupcakes sound superb and I LOVE your description of them. I may quote that in the round up! Thank you so very much for joining in with Shop Local! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know what you mean, criticism is fine but when it is nonsensical? Not so much! Fingers crossed I can get more products in the future so I can join in Shop Local more often =)

      Delete
  2. I absolutely love honey and your cupcakes look so tempting I wish I could reach into my screen and grab them. I love that you used locally sourced honey - yum! Congratulations on increasing your facebook likers :) Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, and I'm glad you like the cakes!

      Delete
  3. Honey is wonderful..... what's not to like? So natural and the perfect guilt-free sweetener. It always adds an amazing depth of flavour too! I say 'bring on the bees'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm truly beginning to follow that point of view. I can't wait to experiment more with it!

      Delete
  4. The photos alone make my mouth water but after reading your description of them, it's really built up an appetite! They sound beautiful, I love honey :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, I was really pleased with them =)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!