Thursday, 29 May 2014

Cherry and Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake for my Blogiversary

Happy Blogiversary I'd Much Rather Bake Than...!!! I made you a cake to celebrate. Of course I did. Cake is my thing. Our thing. You and I and cake go way back. Two years in fact.
Cherry and Terrys Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake
Technically it's not my two two year blogiversary until June 5th but seeing as I didn't keep blogging up past a few sporadic months in that first year I don't feel like I can count that but at the same time I don't feel like I can ignore it completely. One year ago today is the day I posted a recipe after finishing my second year exams and kept up blogging properly, becoming more and more addicted to cake as I've worked to grow I'd Much Rather Bake Than... So, because the dates are so close together I've decided to have an eight day celebration starting today. I'm not even going to try to deny it - yes, it's another excuse to have cake.
Cherry and Terrys Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake
I couldn't decide what to make to mark the occasion but Mum immediately came up with the idea of revisiting the very first recipe I posted. I couldn't just reproduce the exact same thing though. That isn't me at all. So I changed it. I finally made the adaptations that I suggested in my very first post - Weetabix Cake.
Cherry and Terrys Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake
When I look back to when I started and I shudder. Those posts are awful. I don't know why I thought I would make it going about blogging in the way I did. I simply had this idea that it would be fun to do and my baking enthusiasm was all that I would need. Photos? Ha, that doesn't matter. Structure? What's wrong with it - the words are there aren't they?!! Blog promotion? No idea where to start so I'll leave that one. Wow, I was certainly wrong.
Cherry and Terrys Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake
When I stopped blogging for all those months I missed it terribly and it was only when I was determined to start it back up and keep it going that I did a bit of research onto how to improve. I'm not going to pretend that I have the most perfect blog in the world or the biggest. I'd be pretty stupid if I did but I enjoy it. I've come a long way and I'm proud of what I've achieved. I want other people to enjoy it but I never started blogging for the page views and the ranking - that is just a bonus. I started because I'm obsessed with foodie things and because I enjoy writing. I' a very shy and nervous person but get me talking about baking and I'm off. Hence why I every time I intend to write a quick post I end up going way overboard, pretty much like I'm doing now.
Cherry and Terrys Chocolate Orange Weetabix Cake
More cake will be coming between now and June 5th though I haven't decided quite what. The photos for this revamped (and much, much improved) Weetabix cake are better than the original but still terrible because they weather has been appalling of late and dullness does not make for good photos, even with someone who understnads their camera, let alone me. I had to bake it though. Had to. Good, bad or ugly the flavours were delicious, fruity highlights from the cherries, sweet creamy depth from the chocolate and the wholesome knowledge that this is a no added fat cake that still provides a moist flavourful interior. Everyone who had some at uni didn't care about it's appearance they were too busy munching it down.


print recipe

Cherry and Chocolate Orange Weetabix Loaf Cake
A fat free recipe that keeps moisture locked in providing a texture that perfectly complements the fruity burst from the cherries and the posckets of creamy chocolate orange.
Ingredients
  • 300g plain flour
  • 1 rounded tsp baking powder
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp mixed spice
  • 2 Weetabix, crushed
  • 100g glace cherries, rinsed, dried and sliced in half
  • 100g Terrys chocolate orange, chopped + 30g to finish
  • 275ml milk
  • 1 scoop marmalade
  • 1 large egg
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a 2lb loaf tin. You may need to have a muffin case or two ready if you have too much mixture.2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and mixed spice then stir in the crushed Weetabix follwed by the cherries and 100g chocolate. In a jug, mix the milk, egg and marmalade together well.3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry then fold in until just combined. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 50-60 mins though depending on your individual oven you might need to adjust this. 4. When a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, remove from the oven and scatter over the remaining chocolate. Cool in the tin on a wire rack before slicing.

17 comments:

  1. Looks delicious Laura - happy 2 year blogiversary when it comes...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've never seen a cake with Weetabix in it before! I will definitely have to give it a try, but reckon it will make my breakfast Weetabix seem a lot less appealing once I've tried it in cake form! Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha there is that problem! Maybe if you found a way to cut the sugar more you could make it a legitimate breakfast treat?! And thank you =)

      Delete
  3. Happy blogiversary, Laura!!! Congrats on all your wonderful recipes so far. This one sounds very unique and VERY delicious. Especially the terry's chocolate orange part.....mmmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it means a lot =) I think the Terry's orange part is my favourite too!

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary! I still feel a complete novice at the blog thing.... but I think enthusiasm and perseverance must count for something! It is always reassuring to see how far people grow after a couple of years of it and you have obviously done really well! Here's to lots more cake (with no excuses necessary!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, enthusiasm and perseverance must be important. Even the really big blogs show a marked difference compared to when they started. And thank you =)

      Delete
  5. I am so intrigued by this cake. Definitely one to try. Weetabix in a cake- what?! The photos look great to me. I always had trouble with light but now I use Photoscape (it's free) to brighten my photos and it makes a world of difference. Congrats on making it to two years! I'm excited to see what the next eight days has in store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that's what I thought when I first heard of it from a friend! And thank you =) the lighting really w my own fault this time though, baking when I did but I was determined to get this made so I could post it when I did, bad lighting or not! I use Fotor which is also free. I've been told Gimp is good too but I'll check out Photoscape to se if I like that better!

      Delete
  6. Happy Blogaversary! What a delicious cake you've made to celebrate! Bookmarked! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And let me know the results if you ever get to make it =)

      Delete
  7. Ooh - I'm feeling experimental seeing this… I have a pack of banana weetabix in the cupboard - I wonder how they might work out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound interesting! I'd love to hear rout the results. I didn't even know they did a banana Weetabix but now I know they do they sound like they need to be cakeyfied.

      Delete
  8. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!