Saturday, 17 May 2014

Cheese, Tomato and Bacon Eggy Bread Sandwich for British Sandwich Week

There are some things that us Brits take very seriously and as such have received a lot of stick for.  These are just a few examples. Then of course there is the whole north/south divide thing, arguing who is best. I'm pretty sure the midlanders would like to stake their claim as well but it's the northerners and southerners who argue the most. Though as a northerner myself I feel like we get the most defensive about it. That's fine though. We British are very good at keeping calm and carrying on. See - serious. Hence why we have a whole week dedicated to the British Sandwich.

This is the sort of blogging opportunity that I would miss out on due to time constraints but now the exam and poster presentation is over I'm not doing any uni work for a few weeks and am enjoying my time in the evening to procrastinate as much as I like. Plus, right in time for Sandwich Week I've found a new love.

Eggy bread sandwiches.

I should probably be calling this post a recipe for Cheese, Tomato and Bacon French Toast but I'm not trying to dancy this up at all. It doesn't need it. Good old eggy bread reigns supreme. My only sadness is that I hadn't got round to trying them sooner.

I loved these so much that I ate four in three days, had a one day break and decided to up the game for this one and attempt to take some photos before I got fed up and wanted my dinner. This is why I don't post many savoury recipes on here - if I've made something blog worthy delicious, I'm more interested in eating it hot than getting half decent pictures to show the world. But these, well, these everyone needs to know about. 

Smoked bacon and sweet, almost roasted tasting tomatoes nestling between thick layers of oozing, melted cheese, held together by bread soaked in simple beaten egg and fried to perfection. Those dark brown bits you see on top ar the best parts. Leftover from dry frying the bacon, don't clean the pan before adding the oil and they will adhere to the eggy crust for extra indulgent salty bacon flavour. Don't let anyone tell you a lot of oil is needed for frying either. All I use is barely half a teaspoon smeared round the frying pan with a bit of kitchen roll which ends up soaking up most of it anyway. Have the pan extra hot when you drop the sandwich in and it will unstick itelf soon enough. Serve with a salad if you want to pretend to be healthy or leave room for another one after addiction hits at first bite. I won't judge you. Not in the slightest.



print recipe

Cheese, Tomato and Bacon Eggy Bread Sandwich
A melty cheese and bacon sandwich made better by soaking in beaten egg and frying until crispy and delcious. Eggy bread - the classic treat made better by putting it in sandwich form.
Ingredients
  • 2 slices bread of your choice
  • Mustard, your favourite type
  • Marmite
  • Approx 2 slices cheese - mozarella, gouda or mature cheddar recommended
  • 2 slices bacon
  • A few thin slices of tomato
  • 1 egg
  • A smidge of oil
Instructions
1. Trim the bacon of fat and dry fry to your desired level of doneness. Do not clean the pan yet.2. Meanwhile, spread the mustard on one slice of bread and the marmite on the other. Put half the cheese on one sllice, add the cooked bacon and tomato slices then top with the remaining cheese and other slice of bread.3. Beat the egg on a plate or wide, shallow dish. Place the sandwich in the egg and leave for a minute to soak. Carefully turn over and leave to soak again while adding the oil to the pan and heating back to a high temperature.4. Carefully drop the sandwich into the frying pan and immediately turn down the heat to low. Pour the remaining egg on top, trying not to lett too much dribble down the sides. After a couple of minutes flip the sadnwich over and finish cooking until nicely browned.5. Enjoy immediately, savouring how good it really tastes.
P.S. If you need another excuse to indulge, why not treat yourself to 25% off tickets to the BBC Good Food Bakes and Cakes Show? I have a discount code for you in this post here.

7 comments:

  1. Ooooh you had me with this sandwich until I read marmite! Why would you ruin a perfectly delectable sandwich with that stuff? :P (not a marmite fan!). I'm loving the sound of this nonetheless. I will have to try it out for myself (without the marmite!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had to giggle at that. I knew I was running a risk not putting a Marmite warning in but I love it so for me it really helps to make the sandwich. But each to their own of course! Here's hoping you enjoy the Marmiteless version then and I'd love to hear of any other additions you use =)

      Delete
  2. Ahhhhhhh........ eggy bread!!!!! I remember escapes from school (otherwise known as 'bunking') ......... straight home to make eggy bread and stuff my face with my friends. Those were the days..... delicious. As a sandwich? We were never that sophisticated, but seeing this one, I may just have to give it a try! Sod the salad though! Eggy bread should be enjoyed without anything to detract from the naughtiness of the moment......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you really did make me laugh. I only had salad because I was feeling guilty at my diet that week, delicious as it was. Replace the salad with chips maybe for the ultimate treat? With onion rings? Oh dear, I think I may have just made myself hungry!

      Delete
  3. I haven't had eggy bread in ages!! I can see why you ate so many in such little time, it looks scrumptious! Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I just couldn't help myself. I've been thinking about making eggy bread again recently too.

      Delete
  4. If you need your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (no matter why you broke up) you need to watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Why your ex will NEVER get back...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!