Wednesday, 9 April 2014

Monster Cookies

I would start this post with an apology for all the forthcoming capitals and repetition but that would be a lie. I'm not sorry in the slightest. These cookies are just TOO DAMN GOOD. I haven't baked a peanut butter cookie for aaaaages, and one with oats even longer. 

A couple of weeks ago I got it into my head that I had to bake  apeanut butter cookie, possibly with oats so I turned to one of my favourite blogs - Sally's Baking Addiction. Sally loves the combination of peanut butter and chocolate herself and amongst all the other orgeous recipes on her blog, there is a whole section on peanut butter ones. Needless to say, I spent rather a lot of timme pouring over those pages. Seriously, if you haven't discovered Sally's blog already you really ought to pop on over there. It's really good and Sallly seems like a lovely person to boot. Plus, it's where these AMAZING cookies originally came from. Before my, ahem, (minor) adaptations.  

The day I made these, I was supposed to be getting on with uni work. Revision to be exact. Now can you see why I wanted to bake rather than work. The name of this blog is I'd Much Rather Bake Than... after all. 

Seeing as it was a new recipe to me, and just because I wanted to make sure it was alright to shar with all my lovely readers in the raw, I tried the dough. Repeatedly. Like over and over. If you are one of those people with an iron will who only ever eats the cooked and finished product, then if you think the cookies are addictive, you should break your own mould and try the dough. There would've been a good few more cookies if it weren't so good. Needless to say, I had a very late lunch that day after the number of bits I snaffled. With and without the chocolate in. AND I'M NOT EVEN SORRY.

So yes. An amazingly delicious, soft and melty (but absolutely not cakey), peanut butter loaded, oaty, chocolate goodie packed cookie. Craggy is beauty in this case. That's what a monster cookie is and this example is prime.



print recipe

Monster Cookies
A deliciously soft baked cookie to get that wonderful state of melting crumbliness. Packed with peanut butter, chocolate chips and M&Ms. The crunchy peanut butter adds even more texture.
Ingredients
  • 115g butter, softened
  • 150g dark soft brown sugar
  • 50g granulated sugar
  • 185g crunchy peanut butter
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 0.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 160g plain flour
  • 2 sachets microwave oats
  • 150g chocolate M&Ms
  • 90g milk chocolate chips
Instructions
1. Set the oven to 180 C/160 C fan and line a bakinng sheet with baking paper.2. Cream the butter and sugars together until well blended then mix in the peanut butter, followed by the egg and vanilla. 3. Mix in the baking powder, flour and oats until just combined then fold in the chocolate/M&Ms, reserving a few for the tops if you wish.4. Roll into balls (mine were about 25g each) and place on the baking sheet. Press down slightly and bake for 10 mins for each tray, turning the tray half way through. Cool on the tray for a few mins after pressing down to the desired thickness with your hand (carefully!) then remove to a rack and continue with batches. 

Credit for the original recipe to Sally's Baking Addiction.
My Biscuit Barrel challenge has the theme of FUN this month and I so enjoyed making and gobbling these cookies that I would be foolish not to pu them into the pot. Please spread the Biscuit Barrel word if you can!

I'm also sharing these with the No Waste Food Challenge this month, currently being hosted by Ness at JibberJabberUK on behalf of Elizabeth at Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary. The two sachets of microwave oats would've been sat in my cupboard for ages if I hadn't used them in baking because they weren't a very nice brand to eat as porridge but they were 100% perfect for using in these cookies. I should know - I ate enough f the raw mixture!

26 comments:

  1. These certainly do sound fantastic! Excellent photos too! Thanks for linking up with the No Waste Food Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That means so much, especially as I was unsure of my editing! =)

      Delete
  2. They look delicious! Do love a peanut butter cookie but never made with oats. One to try for me, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do let me know how they go if you do try them =)

      Delete
  3. Oh these sound right up my street. You have definitely persuaded me to try them at my earliest convenience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha so glad! Let me know what you think of them if you get chance!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate and have made these before so I know exactly how amazing these are. Love your photos and wish I could grab a few off my screen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! Peanut butter is so good - I would like to try them with white chocolate next time I think to see which combination is best.

      Delete
  5. Yum! These sound absolutely delicious and they are definitely FUN too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They really were very fun - both to ake and eat, and I'm not sure which one I'd say was the best out of the two =)

      Delete
  6. The dreaded packet lurking at the back of the cupboard! My plan is too always bake them into something as well! Thanks for linking up with this month's No Waste Food Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mum loves getting rid of her lurking packets and jars via me I'm sure. She knows I'll concoct something with them =)

      Delete
  7. A winning combination! My guys would polish them all in one go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the recipe does make quite a lot but knowing how many cookies my brothers can get through I can quite believe it!

      Delete
  8. Wowww, these look amazing! And I'm with you on the eating dough part, my cookie dough always seems to make a few less cookies than everybody elses haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you, glad it's not just me!

      Delete
  9. These cookies look delicious! I'm adding them to my "to-make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look delicious! I haven't had a peanut butter cookie in ages too and this is even better with M & Ms :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same Dini, I think I need to revisit these cookies.

      Delete
  11. I haven't had a really good peanut butter cookie in a long time. I find they're hard to come by! These do look amazing. Do you think it would be peanut butter overload if you used peanut butter m&m's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not. I'd encourage it - is there really any such thing as peanut butter overload?! I love the stuff.

      Delete
  12. These sound delicious! I love the peanut butter chocolate combo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so wonderful isn't it? A combination that never gets old

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!