Thursday, 20 March 2014

Mini Creme Egg Brownies

This is one of those posts where I could simply state "Creme eggs. Brownies." and present you with the recipe. You'd understand. You'd know they are a better than good combination. But if there is one thing that I like almost as much as baking something, it is talking about what I have been up to in the kitchen (there are several people who can attest to that I assure you) so I can't leave it at a single sentence. Especially as these are really good.
I know Creme Egg brownies have been done a million times before but not by me. Plus, I always seem to miss baking seasonal goodies because of one thing or another so it makes baking and writing about these brownies extra good. They came about when I asked one of the PhDs at uni to look through my Pinterest boards and pick something for me to make at the weekend because I couldn't decide myself. I didn't end up baking anything from there because said PhD came up with the idea of putting frozen chunks of Creme Eggs into a brownie mixture. I had to try it and I had to use my own recipe because I'm rather proud of it. 
Attempt one was yummy but even though I covered the chunks in more chocolate, I must've not sealed them well enough because the fondant still leaked out and disappeared into the mixture. It made for an extra gooey brownie but I wanted large chunks. These are the results of attempt two and I'm really pleased with them. Whole mini Creme Eggs were totally the way forward. 
They are everything a brownie should be. Immensely moist and gooey, fudgey beyond belief and silky soft to boot. Hidden away amongst an incredibly rich crumb structure,  to provide a surprise with every bite, are chunks of sweet, creamy milk chocolate and that's before you even get to the whole Mini Creme Egg in the centre.
Sickly? Absolutely. That's the intention. Could you argue they are too moist? Some people might but I say not. The only way a brownie could be too moist is if you handed me a plate with a pool of raw mixture on and even then, everyone knows that brownie mixute is one of the best, right up there with Victoria sponge. I make no apologies for being pushy here. Do yourself a favour and give these a go.


print recipe

Mini Creme Egg Brownies
An amazingly chocolately, fudgey gooey brownie with chunks of chocolate and a whole Mini Creme Egg in each piece.
Ingredients
  • 90g dark chocolate, chopped
  • 95g milk chocolate, chopped
  • At least 9 Mini Creme Eggs, peeled and frozen
  • 85g butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 175g caster sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 50g plain flour
  • 50g self raising flour
  • 30g cocoa
Instructions
1. Melt the dark chocolate, 35g milk chocolate and butter in a microwave. Set the oven to 170 C/150 C fan and line a 8" square cake tin with parchment.2. Whisk the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until frothy then mmix in the melted chocoalte mixture. Sift the flours and cocoa together then fold in. When almost combined, add the remaining chopped chocolate and fold in.3. Pour into the lined tin, level off and bake in the preheated oven for 20 mins. Remove from the oven and quickly place at least 1 Mini Creme Egg where each piece will be. Go for more if you wish. Bake for a further 15-20 mins until a cake tester inserted close to the middle comes out with some crumbs on still.4. Cool completely in the tin on a wire rack then slice and serve, if you can wait that long.
Even though I'm a little early for Easter, these are definitely Easter themed to me what with the use of mini Creme Eggs - a key icon of the chocolate side of the festival. Easter means Spring and so I'm entering them into Rachel from Dolly Bakes (our current host) and Laura from Laura Loves Cakes Calendar Cakes challenge. Hopefully I'll get to bake another Easter themed cake closer to the time because I have a really good idea I want to try out!

18 comments:

  1. I would never have thought of putting creme eggs in brownies, but then I am not a massive creme egg fan. But they look delicious anyway! Now caramel eggs................... Reckon it would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I think it would. Maybe I'll try that next - I wonder, would mini caramel eggs with mini Rolos instead of chocolate chips work? Hmmmm, you've definitely given me something to think about

      Delete
  2. I love a gooey brownie. Why do cafes etc always sell dry ones? I will never know. This is a great idea; the brownies look very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, it's such a shame. Glad you like the look of these though!

      Delete
  3. I could eat my weight in those eggs. I never thought to put them in brownies. HOLY WOW! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love creme eggs you should DEFINITELY put them in brownies. And it's perfectly ok for you to eat some of your ingredients before they reach the brownie mixture ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh my these brownies are AMAZING! I didn't think you could make brownies any better but here we are! Pinning for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caramel and brownies go hand in hand, so I imagine this would be so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband loves those eggs. Brilliant idea to put them in brownies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your husband has good taste ;)

      Delete
  7. What a creative idea! I've never heard of crème egg brownies before, these look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are really fun to make as well - and addictive to eat!

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic idea! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yummy! Huge cadbury egg fan. Live in England with true Cadbury. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them! I can't wait to make them again this year :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking a peak at my blog. I would love to hear what you think or any suggestions so please feel free to comment below!